Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Challenger SRT8 wants to play

Cruising home last night I ran across a 2012 Challenger Hemi SRT8 who was in mood to play. We started out with him a few car lengths ahead, trying to get thru an opening to a nice straight. He tried to impress me a few times by breaking the rear tires loose from a roll and getting it sideways but by the time we were clear I was in 3rd and he was full on the gas with a 2 car lead to start off with. Turbo hit and I was closing the gap so quickly I had to let off. I'm sure he expected to see a pair of old 911 headlights getting smaller instead of getting bigger. I just thought it was funny that my 36 year old hot rad ran him down. Granted, it is a 2300 lb turbo 3.2 but he didnt know that.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work.
Its a great feeling we all know.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Actually I have found just the opposite. As soon as these 2 lane tough guys see my car, they just dial it back and act chill. I guess they don't give it a go unless they KNOW they can win.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Had a similar experience with my friends MB 550cls or whatever that thing is. Fast car but not quite good enough. My car is similar to yours other than the narrow body I have. My car clearly trompt him. These new cars have lots of power these days but they're pigs.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Pure Awesomeness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovie ghoulie View Post
actually i have found just the opposite. As soon as these 2 lane tough guys see my car, they just dial it back and act chill. I guess they don't give it a go unless they know they can win.
+1
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

put a ducktail on it and they will almost wreck themselves trying to get alongside you in traffic! maybe the ducktail is associated with the early cars ????
Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My RUF handed out a severe asskicking to a Ferrari 599
Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You have to flex your muscles sometimes.

The other day, I had a newer Mustang 5.0 with wheels, exhaust, and other odds and ends run up behind me pretty quick. When I turned a corner, he was still on my tail, so I thought I'd show him a little bit of what mine has.

As I got to second, I let it get to about 3,000 RPM, and then I stomped it. Once it hit full boost, I was fishtailing and then short shifted to 3rd. Once the boost came on again, I had a quick little whip of the rear and straight as an arrow it went.

The Mustang quickly withdrew and never tried to catch up with me.

I hate those cars....I can't help myself when they are next to me (or behind). They are like cockroaches.....everyone has them and everyone has a head when they do have one........
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
All this talk has me thinking, and I guess there isn't really a way to know, but some of these cars that can't hang are sub 5 second to 60 cars. And I know 0-60 is stupid, but it is a standard by which we gauge performance, What do you think a car that can outrun easily a ferrari 599 could do 0-60? Again, 0-60 might not even be realistic for our cars, I know it isn't with my 915 equiped car. But the car I was against was a 4.6 second to 60 car and I cought it readily and passed it quickly before 60 and left it in the dust. How fast are our cars?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I had a Yamaharley behind me at a light reving his motor. The light turned green and he came up beside me and that is when the thought must have went through his mind..maybe this was a bad idea. As I pulled away, I'm sure the waste gate made him in need the address miracleear.com. Not to mention he was embarrassed if front of his lady who was on the back. I noticed at the next light his bike was leaking something, oh yeah now I recall, those were tears.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wide body, molester.

Yeah it seems most cars who pull up next to you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. I'd love to race a Ferrari, I'd sandbag just to hear that sweet exhaust go screaming by me!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Not me, I'd love to give him a piece of my wastegate.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Metal Guru

Garage
In the first year that I owned my 965 (prior to the header install), a guy tried to race me across an intersection (the kind that narrows from 2 lanes to 1) in a 6 banger Cadillac CTS . I think he thought he had a chance up until the boost kicked in. After he caught up with me (I slowed down so as not to get a speeding ticket) he tailgated me for 1/4 mile so I guess he was pissed.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb

Last edited by 911nut; 07-08-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i don't care about 0-60..it's the 60-130 passing/roll on that shines
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukdunfoniks View Post
I had a Yamaharley behind me at a light reving his motor. The light turned green and he came up beside me and that is when the thought must have went through his mind..maybe this was a bad idea. As I pulled away, I'm sure the waste gate made him in need the address miracleear.com. Not to mention he was embarrassed if front of his lady who was on the back. I noticed at the next light his bike was leaking something, oh yeah now I recall, those were tears.
I had a crotch rocket do that to me as well. He even paced me to goad me into a run. I'm cruising in 2nd on the freeway with the turbo spooling (more like anticipating ). He jumps, and then I jump and we were pretty even. Shift in to third and of course, I shot a HUGE flame out my exhaust next to him.
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Had the same. A Honda 600RR really new with a super loud, ear-piercing can was facing my window was killing my eardrum. He nodded at me and I eased into 4th on the highway and nailed it.

Quite to my surprise, I slowly crept past him until he was on the rear bumper. He was lying all over his gas tank tucked behind the windscreen - he was giving it all it had.

Didn't think I could beat one on the highway but did.

Last edited by Tippy; 06-11-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7310948 View Post
put a ducktail on it and they will almost wreck themselves trying to get alongside you in traffic! maybe the ducktail is associated with the early cars ????
Car came out great Larry. I am sure they never expect the roar that it puts out either.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

HAHAHAHA! I saw one (Challenger) on the road the other day and thought it looks like a large mouth bass from the front.

When the retro camaro came out I got on the expressway and a camaro SS was tailgating me like crazy and it eventually started to bug me so I downshifted, waived in the mirror, nailed it and he nailed it and just started falling back. A little while later I slowed down to exit and he flipped me off as he passed by. I'm guessing because he just got schooled by an oooooooold car or my car sprayed oil on his windshield! LOL!

Last edited by wcc; 06-14-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Easy on the srt8s guys, gotta have something as a dd...

'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Pure Awesomeness

Garage
some dude who lives near me and drives a guards red 951 likes to race me on PCH in the mornings. He's cool, I see him around once a month or so. I always look out for fellow Porsche owners who like to make the ride to work more exciting!

I've noticed other guys in Mustangs and stuff not try to pass me. Always wondered if it's because they're afraid to get spanked.

Agree with the 0-60 thing....my car does it when properly warmed up in maybe, 6 seconds tops. But 60-100 is another story. And handling.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: