Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

search engines are a wonderful thing.

there are 10" puller fans and pull tie mounting kits here.
AMA Automotive Air Conditioning Parts & Equipment - Compressors Condensers Accumulators Expansion Va: Electric Fans - High Performance Reversible

Spal Electric Fans - The Fan Man

and there's always ebay and amazon.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hat View Post
I have a 964 T converted to 134 when I got it
the A/C was weak (Austin, Texas 100+ degrees in summer)
Hey Hat,
There are a few DIY things to check/repair on the 964T A/C that will make it a little more efficient.
Drop the valence under the condenser and remove the road debris that gets trapped between the body and the condenser back side. Get a brush on your shop vac and vacuum the coils while your in there. Also, make sure that the seal between the condenser and the front bumper cover hasn't disintegrated.
Make sure that all your damper motors are working properly so that your not putting cold air on the windshield or the floor.
The last item is the center vent. There is a seal between the vent assembly and the duct coming from the climate control fan/damper module in the trunk that also disintegrates and allows cold air to partially bypass the vent assembly. To check/renew the seal you will have to remove the dash pad but that's a 10 minute job.
Enjoy.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
I've gone native

Just did the ultimate test, an hour in 93 degree stop n go, still nice n cool. Very happy.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

A steady cruise on the interstate is the best AC test in my opinion because the 911 chassis is so far from airtight. Especially in the front trunk where it leaks in while driving.
There are air leaks all over the place in there especially from the bottom of the smugglers box and below and around the gas tank to the battery tray.

While driving warm trunk air gets into the cabin in many places in and under the dash and exits through the always open air vent in the roof above the rear window.

When cruising slow and stop and go around town alot less outside hot air gets into and is drawn through the cabin.

Also, out on the highway around here you get little shade from trees and buildings like you may in town and on a sunny afternoon that makes for constant heat radiating in through the roof and windows.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
I've gone native

Did the hiway too, all good. Engine runs a little hot now w the ac on full blast in 93 degrees.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
From my research there are two upgrades out there. The Retroair and Griffiths Mr. Ice project. Any major differences? It appears, at least for me, that the Retro Air conversion seems a bit cheaper.

How hard is it to run the new hose through the body between the front and rear of the car. It appears to be a bit of a huge undertaking doing the install yourself but a pretty expensive bit of labor to pay the shop to do it.

I am not sure that ice cold air is worth $5k on what is essentially a toy car. Of course, when you are driving in Florida on a summer afternoon with the windows down, it is easier to make that argument!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I've gone native

Those are the two main ones, agree 5k is a lot on a weekend toy. that's why I went for the cheaper 'tune up', works adequately for me.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Full retroair kit with new denso compressor and new blower was 1800$ plus install

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lm2s1r
Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I installed a RennAire system (hoses, compress, evaporator, pro-cooler and all the other goodies that come with the kit) about 3 years ago for about $1600 including local A/C shop to evacuate system and later recharge. Great support many months after the sale when I finally got to installing it myself. Took about 2 weekends but work was not difficult with basic skills and actually fun to do. Works great although in this 100+ degree heat this year I think I am going to add a fan to rear condenser.

While in there doing the work I splurged and bought the Griffiths Kuehl hurricane evaporator fan. Wow, what a difference in air velocity! Air even comes out well from the tiny side vents that my '83 has.

In days up to 85 degree or so it gets too cold with fan on high and I have to cut it back a bit. Makes the car much more enjoyable in summer and my wife will even go with me now on trips
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC911SC View Post
and my wife will even go with me now on trips
Seems like a negative.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
Seems like a negative.
Ha ha - right! Wouldn't that pose a problem regarding hookers and blow?!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: