Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

87 930 leaking oil, help! With pictures

Not sure where this is coming from... It has always had a few drips but recently it has gotten worse. IT is getting to the point where oil is getting on the paint under the whale tale and starts to visibly smoke at the stop lights. ( how embarrassing)

I cleaned it up and and let it run at idle till it started dripping. The above pictures show all the problem areas...problem is i still can't tell where it is coming from. I figured i would just start by changing out the valve cover gaskets and see if that helps. I hope my turbo isn't blown. It all runs fine but is starting to leak so bad I'm afraid it might catch on fire.

Help! pelican parts forum gurus your my only hope....

Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
50 views no responses so I'd suggest you do try the valve cover gaskets first. Make sure to get the new nuts with the gaskets from our host here, and if you're going through the bother of having them off, you might as well check your valve clearances and make sure no head stud nuts are rolling around in there.
These things start weeping after a while, most commonly towards the front of the engine near the breather cover and oil sender area, but your leak appear to be more towards the rear... perhaps a dented oil return tube or the cam box covers. But try the valve covers first (and you may get a better look when you are in there doing that).
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

The oil in the last pic could be coming from the small oil hose that feeds the cam chain tensioner on that side . . .
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Look into the turbo intake. Could be seals are going bad
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, will do on the valve covers and check valve clearance...I have them in hand ready to change. I just have the OEM covers should i get the "silicon" ones instead? Also, Does the turbo have seals? Ive loOKed for these at the host site but cant find them. I have a k27 turbo not sure what they could be.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Don't know if you are a newer to owning air-cooled Porsches or just want to drive dry ones. Regardless the best way to track the source is to wipe down the engine. Put tracer dye in the oil and look for the source with a black light.
Go to the l local auto parts store and they can set you up. Without this you can replace a lot of expensive parts on advice of others and still not solve your problem.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've gone native

I've seen the oil line on the top of the turbo leak just like that, check simple stuff first before you start pulling off the turbo.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Don't know if you are a newer to owning air-cooled Porsches or just want to drive dry ones. Regardless the best way to track the source is to wipe down the engine. Put tracer dye in the oil and look for the source with a black light.
Go to the l local auto parts store and they can set you up. Without this you can replace a lot of expensive parts on advice of others and still not solve your problem.
UV tracer dye....I didn't know such a thing existed. Good idea!

Yep, put on a pair of crusty old coveralls, jack up the car, and crawl around under there armed with a pair of safety glasses and a couple spray cans of engine degreaser. Hose 'er down good, let it sit, and hose 'er down with water. Drip dry, start, look for leaks, drive, look for leaks, fix leaks.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
The oil in the last pic could be coming from the small oil hose that feeds the cam chain tensioner on that side . . .
Yes check that. On my car the line to the cam cover was lose and the oil was leaking onto the tin then landed on top of the heat collector. Just like the bottom picture.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

awesome thanks guys, whats the best way to get to the line to the cam cover? From the bottom? Do I need to remove anything to see it? Also, does anybody know about the third picture? It all comes from that little scalloped area on the right? This is located on the right side of the engine on the just posterior to the lower valve covers. Any thoughts on that? thanks again, sorry for being such a numb nut.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hello, The oil leak you are inquiring about , (the one leaking at the scalloped area of the chain housing) is very likely the o rings that seal the chain housing to the cam housing, Very common, If you remove enough items it can be done with the engine in the car but I don't recommend it , The cams will need to be re-timed as you are removing the cam sprockets to access this area,,

Hope it helps, Lou
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
awesome thanks guys, whats the best way to get to the line to the cam cover?
I noticed it when I removed the intercooler and up pipe. Oil was pooled on the engine tin and was coming down the cam cover where the oil line threads into it.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: