Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone Know Who Makes This Manual Boost Controller?

I want to replace it with the same one. I just recently got the car and today I took a look at it. It states on the top to pull to adjust and when I pull it up and try to turn it, it just turns freely, wont stop no matter which way I turn it.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hard to tell from that pic alone. There are two types 1- is ball and spring which uses the adjusted spring pressure to control the pressure to waste gate and are fast acting at set pressure. 2- is more of a controlled leak. Adjustment opens a vent to increase boost pressure and if vent is closed more it lowers boost. Not as fast or controled to waste gate.

I know that didn't answer your question but there are many different places to buy these. If I wasn't on my phone I would google for a link for you.

B
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks like the one from Turbonetics.

Turbonetics Manual Boost Controller Saab Volvo Mercedes Mazda RX7 Ford VW | eBay
1986 944 Turbo
Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Turbonetics... got 1 same as that one
Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys... I'll need to take a look at mine again. That one looks to have 3 ports where I thought mine has 2.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-17-2012, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

That is a Turbonetics 2 port, you can purchase it at Jeg's

Turbonetics 10402-25 Turbonetics Variable Boost Control Kits
Old 06-17-2012, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Do you have a death wish ? I've got on I'll send you!! Seriously good way to blow up a perfectly good engine
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-17-2012, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Nothing wrong with them.... it is just a adjustable wastegate controller. It can't blow up anything! Now the idiot that doesn't know how they work and or not know when to stop turning the knob on the other hand CAN blow things up! So technically it's the end user that's to blame. It is because these rocket scientists who end up blowing up their motors because they kept turning the knob past the fuel and ignition timing capabilities. Instead of blaming "themselves" They point the finger at a simple device and nick name it ? "Dial-A-Death" . For example, If these genius's would understand that their fuel and timing capabilities are only good to let's say 1 bar, and they have a .7 bar spring in their waste gate, then one could purchase a manual boost controller and add adjustability and be able to fine tune overall boost limit to 1 bar. But since it can boost more the fuel and timing doesn't support it the end user is the Pulitzer prize winner that pushed it beyond the systems ability. Not calling anyone specifically out, just a little venting.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
I want to replace it with the same one. I just recently got the car and today I took a look at it. It states on the top to pull to adjust and when I pull it up and try to turn it, it just turns freely, wont stop no matter which way I turn it.

Open the case and check the connection with the handle. That never ending twisting happened to me before and it was that the T handle became disengaged from the actual valve. Easy fix.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Andial also has a very similar control. I bought an 84 Carrera that had been converted some time ago by Andial and it had a "dial of death". I called Andial in CA and they had one on the shelf. I don't think they had sold one in a while. It's basically a simple air pressure regulator. It was about $58 if I recall. not nearly as expensive and I would have thought. If needed PM me I may still have the part number. I have since gone megasquirt with boost control and efi. It's under the knife, but now in the car thanks to a good friend.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Do you have a death wish ? I've got on I'll send you!! Seriously good way to blow up a perfectly good engine
No death wish here...Seriously. You know that I built my engine with my very own hands and I have an MBC. It is inside the engine compartment to avoid temptation. When I upgraded my exhaust system, my boost level dropped slightly (which I attribute to a more efficient wastegate circuit). I added an MBC at that time to bring the boost level back up. I always run it at <1 bar. Its pretty easy for me not to twist that knob all the way to max since I remember very well how much I spent building the engine.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well it turned out to be a $15 Norgren regulator. I'm going to just order a new one and keep it right under 1 bar. My paper work that came with the car states it has a 1.1 bar waste gate spring.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My vote is for "dial a death" At least you know where death is....

Old 06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Looking Good..
Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
My vote is for "dial a death" At least you know where death is....

"THE" and I mean "THE" Best MBC ever made on the planet. I want one! I talked to Kevin at Gunnar looking for a NOS valve but it is no longer available from Porsche. Haven't Been able to find a nice example and they are getting harder to find even the beat up ones.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: