Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What's the real VIN Number?

On the 1986 930 I am in the process of buying, the paperwork shows a proper VIN #, as does the "options sticker" under the front hood. But in the front luggage compartment there is a stamped-in number that is identical, except that three of the characters in the middle are "ZZZ".

Were US VIN numbers assigned by PCNA when they arrived here? Is the US VIN # permanently affixed anywhere else. I ask because I will be importing the car into Cali, and they inspect the car to verify VIN--and if they can get it wrong and cause you trouble, they will.

Thanx!

63 904 (086), 63 904 (038)
70 914-6
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
That's normal. Even US-spec cars had that one front luggage compartment stamp with the "ZZZ" designation.

Supposedly that was the first VIN stamped on the car on the assembly line. At that point the factory didn't know to which market the car was headed. Hence the generic (for the factory) "ZZZ" designation. As the car went through the assembly process, it would get its market destination bestowed upon it and all later VINs would show the appropriate designation (ABO/JBO/EBO/etc). The rest of VINs match up properly, correct?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've never known why the number in the front trunk is different on some USA cars but apparently it's normal.
Don't let them confuse the paint code number with the VIN also in the front trunk on the passenger side in front of the shock tower, they will if they can.

As long as the VIN numbers on driver side A piller tag and drivers door jamb sticker match you're good.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Aircooled Breakfast

Telerding, I had the same concerns with my '86. My inquiry to PCNA received the following response:

"It is common for vehicles produced by Porsche AG (Parent company of Porsche Cars North America) to have two VIN’s stamped into the body of the chassis. Porsche AG produces vehicles referred to as ‘Worldwide Chassis.’ These vehicles are produced typically before it has been decided what market the vehicle is intended. Worldwide Chassis are stamped with a VIN beginning with ‘WP0ZZZ’. If it is decided then that a car is to be shipped to the U.S. the VIN will be re-stamped on the firewall with the appropriate U.S. Market VIN, thus changing digits 4 – 6 and 9th of the VIN to reflect the model, engine type, restraint system and NHTSA code (all badges and door/dash plates will reflect the updated VIN as well). You will notice that the remaining digits pertaining to the model and serial number do not change, as they are unique to this vehicle and this vehicle only."
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Greetings:

Chk with this :importcertification@dot.gov to know the background/info of the car.

Plus chk with your state allows zzz. cars in.. Grey-Market...

It can be a nightmare whoever is handling your paperwerk

Walt
Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you, guys. I knew a post here would produce an answer!

63 904 (086), 63 904 (038)
70 914-6
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: