Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
starter stays on

I posted this on tech forum too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I installed some headers on my 77 turbo engine that is installed into my 77 911s. Before I removed the stock headers, I cleaned the fan with some degreaser and some water and didn't get much wet other than the fan and inside the fan but not a jet of water, more like a soft rinse. But anyway, then I started the car again to put it in the garage, no problems at all. I removed the heat exchangers, removed the turbo,cleaned a little tightened some hidden things, and installed the headers, replaced the turbo which had to relocate some things as location changed slightly, no big deal. adjusted the length of my wide band oxygen sensor, rearranged the scavenge oil line and rertightened and buttoned up.
Went to start it,and found a flange needed tightening so went to turn it off but it didn't want to turn off. Engine did, but the starter had been running along with that loud exhaust leak. It was confusing at first not knowing what was going on. Ignition was off, engine was not running but the starter was turning the engine still. Had to remove the battery positive to get it stopped.
Any ideas please?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Also, it doesn't want to start or turn over at all. Turned the key the first time and nothing other than pump. moved some things in the fuse panel, and moved some wired around the starter itself and it started slowly but ran like I said.
This morning, nothing again. hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ignition switch tells the starter solenoid to go and stop. The two little yellow wires on the starter- one is for the cold start injector and one is for the starter itself. Check for 12v at the big post, and intermittent 12v switched at the little post.
Check your copper trans ground strap too.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

May be time for a starter n solenoid.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Yeah i think it's the starter too. Can't get the symptoms to show up again though.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I guess it's possible that the contacts within the solenoid (it's just a big relay after all) that transfer power to the starter have fused together or the return spring has broken, thus not allowing the solenoid to retract when you get off the starter position of the ignition key. I don't know that I have ever heard of this happening, though. Time to pull the starter and take a look.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Well, I've had intermittent problems with a solonoid before when it was about to quit working for good. But it did have other issues too, like it would act like it didn't have enough juice to turn over but there was no click. A week ago, it did that really loud ugly grindy noise you hear sometimes when a starter doesn't engage the starter ring completely twice before it caught and started, and I remember thinking starter replacement time. It will only get worse before it quits for good I think. I have a backup sitting somewhere. One day I'll have to push start it probably.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: