Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The Pumpkin and I have been a team since early 2008. I have done 10 or 12 DE weekends a year since then. (next up RA July 9/10) Started on street tires and had a number of very good instructors including one cigar smoking one (who shall remain nameless) at MAM who insisted we go out in the rain so i could learn how the car would act in the dry as I got faster.

I LOVE the fact that this is not a car for everyone, has to be learned and as a previous poster has said, one must develop a relationship with the car to have the confidence to go fast. My ABS is in my right foot, my PSM is in my ass, and there are very few now that can get away from us.

Set up and careful selection of equipment is critical to making a 930 a car that you can live with (literally) on the track. Get the right safety equipment from the get go and wear/use it properly EVERY time. learn the car, (be the car?) listen and go slowly you will be rewarded grasshopper.

Truth is, there are a limited number of folks who have the ability to drive one of these extraordinary cars properly, it is a source of pride for me to have developed a certain level of skill. When i get into a students GT3 or Cayman S now , they seem so simple to drive that it seems not as fun to me now.

A good friend of mine told me when I was considering buying the Pumpkin (sold by Gary R here) that if i didn't buy it, every time I went into the garage and looked at the 944T I was considering, i would know that I compromised on what i really wanted. He was right.

DO IT>

Bob

1982 930 Track Car "The Pumpkin"
2002 996tt X50 Lapis Blue Street Machine

Last edited by jayhawk; 06-26-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I've been doing DE's in my 930 for four years now. Have about 30 days and have done all the typical mods (turbo, headers, intercooler, bigger soft tires, 993tt brakes, torsion bars, adjustable sway bars, seats, etc.). Honestly, I've found the car to be very predictable. As mentioned earlier, the key is throttle modulation. You get good at going into a corner with the pedal planted and then dialing it back as you apex. It will try to spin on occasion but I've always felt it coming and been able to save it. Make sure you have nice warm tires before you use the whole potential of the car.

Another thought. There are very few cars out there which can out run a prepped and well driven 930. Only a very well driven GT3 can get away from me. And that is only because their entrance speed to corners is much better than what I am able to muster at this point in my education. The 930 really is a blast to drive.

'85 BMW 745i turbo
Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: