Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Oil spewing from turbo. Does it need a restrictor? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/686745-oil-spewing-turbo-does-need-restrictor.html)

herman maire 07-02-2012 08:59 AM

Oil spewing from turbo. Does it need a restrictor?

My turbo is spewing oil when running. Is there supposed to be a oil feed restrictor on the oil feed or are my turbo seals shot. Its a fairly old looking turbo but was supposed to be a running engine before I got it. Is it possible the seals failed from being in storage for 1-2 years? Thanks SmileWavy

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1341248293.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1341248308.jpg

Tt surgeon 07-02-2012 11:56 AM

I think the turbo needs rebuilding, maybe others will chime in.

herman maire 07-03-2012 04:40 AM

Thanks for the reply.

So there is no oil line restrictor ? There was nothing when I took it off the car .

Another question, I am still trying to figure out what kind of turbo this is, a few mentioned it was a older AirResearch turbo. It is mounted on B&B header .

There are no other markings on the turbo other than what I see on the exhaust/hot housing . :confused:

Tt surgeon 07-03-2012 05:49 AM

No idea what brand it might be. There is a ck ballvalve located more proximal in the system, but that looks like a lot of oil for that to be the cause.

oilonly 07-03-2012 04:45 PM

That seems to be more oil than a missing check valve would cause. Have you done a scavange pump test?The scavange pump should suck any oil going through the turbo. If your scavange pump is working fine then by the looks of that much oil I would say the turbo itself is leaking the oil.

Video here.

3LDZm.mp4 - YouTube

boosted 89 07-03-2012 05:17 PM

Usually the only turbos that require a restrictor are the newer ball bearing turbos. The exhaust side of that turbo looks a little dark. It may be possible that the piston seal on the tubine side in the turbocharger is coked and the drain inside the turbo is plugged with carbon which won't allow the oil to drain down so it goes past the piston ring into the turbine housing. First thing would be to remove the scavenge pipe(drain tube)
from the turbo, put a catch pan underneath and have someone start it and run it for a minute and see if the turbo is draining the oil out enough. There will be no pressure so it should just flow out and don't run it too long like that. You would still get some flow from the compressor side bearing draining down but the leaking at the turbine wheel should be nill if the turbine side isn't plugged up. I would then suspect scavenge pump issue. I also noticed a second pipe feed into the drain tube...what is that for??? and where does it go to at the other end?
As for the turbo...centre section should have a tag depicting what tubo it is.

gsmith660 07-03-2012 05:52 PM

I had my turbo rebuilt in 83 and it sat on the shelf till 09 when I finally installed it doesn't leak a bit. Pulled the intercooler the other day and there wasn't even a light coating of oil in the charge pipe. So if it is stored properly time on the shelf is not a factor.

JFairman 07-04-2012 06:01 AM

You should take more pictures of it from all sides and give more information on the history of this turbo if you want someone to identify it.
Do you know where to look for a possible oil line restrictor? It can be in either end of the oil supply line.

It looks like there is a T in the metal oil line going to the aftermarket drip tank on the bottom. I'm guessing that goes to the right side chain case cover?

The oil drip on the v-band clamp is so clean it looks like someone squirted clean oil in there or a very thourough oil change was just done.

The turbo oil seals are made of steel and storage won't affect them. Post #6 above is good and should help you.

77TARGAV8 07-04-2012 08:03 AM

more photos

need more photos, check for end shaft play. if it is excessive, you need a rebuild. Make sure you have the oil line in the correct side. usually round thread is the inlet and a square hole you have to bolt the aluminum housing to is the out.

MarkRobinson 07-05-2012 12:24 PM

for Precision turbos, all BB turbochargers need restricted oil feeding. I had to use an inserted nitrous jet in the underside of my oil supply line flange to restrict the oil down to a hole the diameter of a larger needle.
My car spewed oil & smoked badly until we figured this out, then I drove the car 110k miles before i pulled the turbocharger off during an engine swap.

IF memory serves, the KKK series have a restriction within the turbocharger so that the line feeding is much more than the turbo needs but the turbo itself has the restriction. On BB turbochargers that I've seen, oil restrictors are always used.

Raceboy 07-05-2012 10:57 PM

I have used restrictors on journal bearing turbos also and it is recommended to have it because turbos don't need lot of oil and certainly they don't like high oil pressure.
I bought a brand new Borg Warner K31 (with billet compressor wheel etc) for a friends Audi 20V turbo drag car and the manual said that there should be a restrictor with a diameter of 2-3 mm.
Also Holset turbos are specified to use a restrictor.

tonn 07-05-2012 11:35 PM

I think the turbo needs rebuild personally