Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

BOV Test?

What is the simplest way of testing the operation of the BOV. Mine came with 4 springs.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

a mighty vac.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ok..ty with 4 different springs which all have a different a loading, how can I tell if the valve is openeing fully?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Two ways: Take the waste gate off the car and bench test it. But understand that it will take a few additional pounds of air pressure over the spring setting (i.e., if you have a .8 bar spring, the WG may not actually open until .9 or maybe even 1.0 bar). This is because when on the car it gets an additive affect from the exhaust pressure.

Or, pull off the WG muffler or waste pipe (whatever you have installed) and if I recall you can see the valve through the opening. Start the car and apply controlled air pressure to the WG, and observe it's opening.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

BOV in the manifold? Or the wastegate that Mark is talking about? What year?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
bov or wastegate?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jeeze guys, I had WG on the brain. In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna...."never mind"!

I've never heard of anyone installing anything but a stock spring in the stock 930 manifold/boost recirculation valve...and there's really no reason to do so. So...so....are we really talking wastegate, the thingy that lets exhaust pressure bypass the turbo to control the level of boost?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

BOV / recirculating valve. Not the Waistegate . That is working fine.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So I have been running some tests with the different BOV springs. The strongest spring keeps the BOV closed under idle and acceleration but as soon as I come off the gas the vacuum pulls the valve open. The second strongest spring allows the BOV to stay slightly open under idle but closes under acceleration and opens up again once off throttle. Which spring is giving me the correct operation of the BOV?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: