Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Happy Anniversary to me

I thought Iíd comment on my first year of ownership, more to help aspiring owners than the BTDT crowd.

First Iíd like to say, thank you. If it was not for this forum, Iím not sure Iíd be a 930 owner. You guys are great. Unfortunately, Iím really good at the search function so I donít post questions too much and I have yet to learn enough to answer questions. Iíve on here almost every day for the past two years. Even the off-topic guys are great, save PARF - I went in there once.

The classifieds are another great source. Iíve used it almost exclusively to get parts to take my car back to the stock look. Hopefully selling the old parts will go as smooth.

I love owning a 930. It has been everything I hoped. When I was looking for a car I posted how I came to choose a 930. In hindsight Iíve realized another aspect that aspiring owners should consider. Know your personality. I think it is easy to talk yourself into what you think you want, but not match your personality. I remember when I first started looking; I saw concourse quality cars that look perfect. Those were really tempting, but I had to keep telling myself that I want a driver. I knew I not the type of owner that would maintain a concourse car. Iíve had it for a year and Iíve only washed it once. Plus, this forum launched me toward the slippery slope. I was looking for one with the normal modifications and came with the stock parts. But that didnítí quite work out.

Driving a 930 is a blast. I have not got it on the track yet, but plan too soon. I need to get some experience driving it. I hate to admit it, but I did swap ends once. After about two-three months of ownership I attended a Cars ní Coffee group. During the cruise after, I was the last car (thankfully) in the cruise afterward. Everyone was accelerating hard going around a corner and I ended up doing a doughnut. I really didnít think I hit it that hard, but I think a combination of cold tires that were dry rotted and the boost control getting bumped up to 0.8 from the 0.5 I have been running until I get used to the car. I have not been close to swapping ends since. Iíve been more attentive when the wheels are not pointed forward. Iím probably too cautious now, but now I have a RUF front valance instead of one I planned on replacing.

One of the primary reasons I choose a 930 was the ability to work on it instead of paying a mechanic to fit it. I wanted a hobby car in more than just something to drive. I have not been a DIY guy in the past. Between most aspects being analog and this forum, I thought Iíd be able to figure out the majority of problems or upgrades. Fortunately, I have not had to do any repairs. Perhaps the hardest thing so far was selecting oil Ė Mobile 1 V-Twin BTW.

So far I have mostly just done cosmetic work. The previous owner had the car set up for the track and I wanted the stock look (see post). I changed out the seats, installed seat belts, changed steering wheel. I did take it to a body shop to have the front spoiler changed (needed painting and a little massaging due to a big B&B oil cooler) and the rear spoiler. So far Iíve been able to purchase used parts for everything (again was one of the considerations when making the purchase) mostly though here.

My project list going forward:
Wevo shifter and coupler
AFR gauge (I think Innovate MTX, maybe WEGO)
Replace fuse with ATO style
Adj. WUR (need to check if already have Ė anyone know if Stephen Kasper did it?)
Replace air intake with the KN filter everyone else has changed to.

There are a few cons associated with these cars, or least mine. It is more difficult to drive. Iím looking forward to trying to tame it. Itís a 25-year old car and mine has over 100k miles and it shows. It really does not bother me, since I knew I wanted a driver, but when I see newer cars I do have a little remorse. That usually is relieved after turning the key. I do wish I took more time to purchase. And maybe wish I didnít stumble upon this site and know what that slippery slope was on the distant horizon.

Overall, if you are thinking about a 930. I would highly recommend it, but as Cole says there are 930 people and those that arenít. From going to cars and coffee events, it does seem there are less than I thought there would be. More like to look at the new cars. I prefer character and I know I have a stupid grin every time I just walk by the car in the garage. I have been taking it out to run errands. I know short trips are not the best for the car, but right now I cannot help myself.

Happy Anniversary to myself.

Sorry for the ramble.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

You, sir, have described the persona of a 930 owner. If you just leave it in the garage, and "stroke" it once in awhile, then you're not a 930 type. They are made to be driven, tinkered with, and enjoyed to the max. It's a car-lovers car...period.

Take the time to get used to it before pushing the envelop. After all, you don't want to live up to its rather iconic name of Widowmaker.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I've gone native

Sounds great, a lot like my experience.
I rembered flooring it one time from 10mph and the rear tires violently breaking loose and the car fish tailing like a muther!
reminded me of my old hot rod 71 firebird.
I luv workin on it myself, hate taking it in anywhere.
my worst event was burning out the ignition box in rush hour traffic on a Friday on a 90degree day, flatbed city.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Ahhh rings so true, got sideways once with the glazed old tires 2nd day I had it, kept my foot down, pulled out, and made a run straight to get new rubber. Been having fun learning since...

Went to c&c For the first time after Ferd died, wasn't a 930 crowd, got a lot of respect, but no real appreciation. Won't be back anytime soon.

Drive her like you stole her, like they say and Happy Anniversary!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Happy Anniversary! I came up on my 1st year just a few months back. Like yours...mine has been good to me just needing very minor stuff. I still haven't installed my GHL headers & exhaust I got a few months back. I thought maybe in August when its nice and hot since she's not that fun "while in heat."

You have all the nice upgrades. I can see why you dial her back in the beginning. Ditto on all the accolades of this forum...

Happy Motoring!
95 M3 Red, 97 540I 6-spd Black
98 Landcruiser, 01 Rav4 (Wife's)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for this post. I've been unable to find a 930 and I was prepared to settle for a nice 86 Targa, but after reading your "rambling" I've decided to stay on course and complete the quest for the grail. (930). You've reminded me what I'm really after.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: