Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Oh God... What did I fry?

So here is the back story:
Flipped the kill switch isolating the battery and put it on a trickle charger for the two weeks I was away for the Olympic track and field trials in Eugene (photography not participating).
Just went out to fire the old girl up took the charger off the battery, which showed full charge, flipped the kill switch, closed the bonnet and ran inside to grab some sunglasses.
When I came back out there was smoke pouring through the spoiler, so I popped the bonnet and the trunk flipped the kill switch back to off and ran to the back of the car to inspect what was going on.
Upon opening the trunk lots more smoke billowed out. Best estimate of its origin is the alternator...
Anyone experience this before? Causes? Solutions?
Thanks all!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Any noticeable charring or burned wires? Pictures?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Does it crank?

If so, does it run?

If so, is the green light on the dash on? if so = alternator

If it doesn't run, it could be the engine harness, similar situation occurred to me when the harness went up in smoke. BTW there is a guy in Atlanta that makes them, OEM is NLA.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certifiable

No noticeable charred wires, everything looks normal once the smoke cleared.
I have not retried firing her back up yet... Next step I guess?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I know the feeling, believe me... but you have to try it, hopefully it is only the alternator.
Let us know how it turns out, I can give you some hints if it's the engine harness. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certifiable

Thanks! I'll keep y'all posted!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Hopefully just the burgers and weenies. Fingers crossed for ya
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certifiable

LOL!! that is just about what it looked like! Minus the food...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certifiable

Alright with some help I flipped the kill switch and watched at the back of the car... Smoke again coming from the fan/alternator area. Since I figure whatever is smoking already has terminal damage I jumped in the drivers seat and attempted to fire the old girl up. She'll crank but does not have enough juice to start from my best estimate. Check engine and oil lights are illuminated as normal in starting. Smoke continued so I threw the kill switch again.

That is where I am at... Am I right in assuming that the alternator is bad? Obviously the battery is done as well...

Anything else? All fuses and relays are still good.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Wow..sorry to hear.

I tend to not trust a trickle charger especially when I am not home to keep my eyes on it, I have seen too many over charges on the electrical system and battery.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Yasin
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
replace the voltage regulator at the same time, its really cheap. and they are basically connected. not really to big a deal getting it out.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 07-07-2012, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Certifiable

Thanks for the VR tip. I was wondering if there was one inline, and why it failed to do its job??
Yasin: this will be my last experience with the trickle charger! For sure!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
this will be my last experience with the trickle charger! For sure!
Been using trickle chargers for almost 5 years with out any issues including leaving the cars on them for several weeks at a time.

Not sure if it matters or not but they are both Porsches though..
Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I've gone native

I had one fry the battery on a c4s once, no thanx trickle charger!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Never had a bad experience with a trickle charger. You may dig in there before flipping that kill switch anymore, with that much smoke surely there is some evidence Shirley. Check the battery cable at the starter, if that's where your kill switch interrupts.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Trickle chargers that switch into float mode and stop charging when the battery is topped up are pretty safe.
I wouldn't leave one on when I'm not home though. Disconnect the battery if it's a couple weeks.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Certifiable

Here is the latest:

Pulled the alternator out and I found out exactly what was smoking... BBQ spaghetti anyone?

Lines from the battery are still in good shape, so does the power to the alternator originate from the starter?

Alternator will go into a repair facility tomorrow for testing, and repair.
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yup....battery to starter>starter to alt.
Hack your harness apart and see how far back the damage goes.
Look at the starter and see if it's fried there too.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Certifiable

Alright I'm resurrecting this thread! Finally had time to work on the old girl...

It appears that the wire melting is limited to the power and ground lines to the alternator only, everything else is in good shape. Though there is some collateral damage to the wires that parallel the power line from the starter to the alternator. Therefor all of these lines need to be replaced.

Questions:

1- Besides the Power and Ground lines... What wires attach to the Alternator? And do these wires differ from the wires that pass through the firewall and down to the starter?

2- What would cause this isolated melt down? As previously stated this happened when the key was turned but the car was not started.

I need to have the Alternator tested, as well as the voltage regulator, is there anything else I should look into at this point?

TIA Guys! Have a great day!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Back to posts #3 & 5 above...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: