Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Installing Bump Steer Kit on Ramps?

I have my front valance and spoiler off and thought it would be easy to install my bump steer kit with the car up on ramps. Will it be ok driven up on ramps to install the kit being the wheels are not off the ground with the weight off the wheels? Thanks

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's going to be hard to work on the front end with the wheels still on.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm only going to need to remove the two bolts and push the rack up to install the spacers so the wheels will not be in my way. I'm just not sure with the weight on the wheels on the ramps it would be ok to remove the bolts with the weight on the rack.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You'll be fine on the ramps. Just drop the skid plate unbolt the steering rack, slide the spacers in
put in longer bolts, reattach skid plate and your done.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's going to be hard to move the rack around to slide those spacers in there with the front wheels on ramps. The toe changes a little as the rack is relocated higher on the crossmember. The wheels won't want to turn at all on the ramps.

Then there's not much room under there to move around in between ramps so you would be much better on jack stands with the wheels off.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Oh, he is only doing the rack side, I thought he was doing the strut side. My mistake.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've gone native

I would jack it up and remove the wheels, it's actually easier than what you are contemplating.
GL
c
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Not sure about your car, but my 85 930 could not accept the rack bump steer kit. There is no room to raise the rack. I was reading in an old magazine article that the 930 front suspension had been modified to reduce nose dive. The cross-member had been raised and the front pan area modified to lower the front of the torsion bars making it impossible to install these bump steers (and also to remove the torsion bars without removing the whole a-arms...) compared to the normal 911 suspension.
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
Not sure about your car, but my 85 930 could not accept the rack bump steer kit. There is no room to raise the rack. I was reading in an old magazine article that the 930 front suspension had been modified to reduce nose dive. The cross-member had been raised and the front pan area modified to lower the front of the torsion bars making it impossible to install these bump steers (and also to remove the torsion bars without removing the whole a-arms...) compared to the normal 911 suspension.
I had no problem istalling the weltmiester rack spacer kit with 2 choices of longer rack mounting bolts in my '87 911 turbo. Be sure to loosen the steering column u-joint on the splined shaft so it can slide upwards as the rack is lifted upwards to install the 2 spacers. I think they are 10mm thick.

The pressure fuel line from the front pump goes over the top of the rack and it can still move around so it isn't squished against the bottom of the car so there's plenty of room for the spacers in mine.

Also you never need to remove the control arms to slide out the torsion bars. You just have to loosen the front control arm mounting bolts a little and remove the bolts mounting the aluminum crossmember and lower it around 2-3 inches so the ride hight adjusters bolts can be unscrewed and the adjusters slid back off the torsion bar splines and then the torsion bars slide out towards the back.

The front suspension stays in place hanging by the struts and the 6 loosened front control arm mounting bolts so you're just lowering the crossmember enough so the torsion bars clear the floor pan as they slide out of the control arms.
Not a big deal at all. Just grease or antiseize the bolt threads so they can't corrode in place down there and torque the bolts properly when done.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
It seems that way. I ended up putting the car on jack stands and once I removed the belly pan I noticed on the passenger side there was a small metal guard that the two fuel lines go thru that was right up against the rack and looking at the spacers there was no room for me to push the rack up.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: