Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

DROPPING OIL Dipstick IN THE TANK

hello

I dropped my oil dipstick into the oil tank ? what should I do ? Should i get my car to the mechanic to get it out from my oil tank or should i keep it inside and by another new one ?

If i keep it inside the oil tank is it going to damage my engine ???

any one have this experience before ??

Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You might want to do a search but from what I have read here it's not such a big deal, just embarrassing. Buy a new one.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
See answers interlaced below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falnaim View Post
hello

I dropped my oil dipstick into the oil tank ? what should I do ?

Fish it out yourself... Btw magnet does not work

Should i get my car to the mechanic to get it out from my oil tank or should i keep it inside and by another new one ?

No for the mechanic unless you don't care about your money, yes it can stay there and if you can not fish it out buy another one.

If i keep it inside the oil tank is it going to damage my engine ???

No but it may hinder the oil level guage witch should not be rely upon anyway.

any one have this experience before ??

Yes and its probably a large "silent" club

Thanks

Bienvenue

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I knew a guy in the Porsche club who bought a used SC. He dropped his in, and when he fished it out he discovered there was already another one in there
Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovie Ghoulie View Post
I knew a guy in the Porsche club who bought a used SC. He dropped his in, and when he fished it out he discovered there was already another one in there
That made me laugh!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I've gone native

Guilty.....
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to agrimmitt
Your not the first!

Falnaim: If you own a Porsche with a tank, sooner or later you or a friend will lose one.
art
Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

Sense they are all most worthless....Just leave it there....If you have cam oil restrictors installed...the gauge now will tell you the truth ! (least works for me)

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just take it out and put it in your spare parts box.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There's a thick steel screen like baffle about halfway down inside the oil tank that will stop the dipstick from falling all the way to the bottom.
Just get another dipstick for now and someday if you ever remove the oil tank to clean it out and maybe paint it you can get the dipstick out by moving the tank around until you can reach it from the hole where the oil level sending unit goes.

The cork gasket under the sending unit is the same one that goes under the gas tank sending unit and they're about $4.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovie Ghoulie View Post
I thought it only occurred to me - member of the silent club... LOL!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Ha! Well I won't admit to doing it myself but... a few years into my first 911 I angered the porsche gods trying to avoid another Exxon Valdez in my driveway. I slipped Jiffy Lube $10 to do the oil (using my own oil, filter, new washers). Had to totally micro-manage the guy. For a finish - coup de grace - the kid dropped the dip stick into the oil tank.

Thing is, it only fell down about 4-5 inches and we fished it back out with a piece of bent wire. Now I wonder if there's already one down there?

Would be interesting to see the count of 911 : 911 dipsticks.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I think the record is held by a guy who wrote into Excellence a long time ago, said HE alone dropped 2, and there were a few in there. In total (not at one time) he was guilty of 3 or 4 drops himself, and 2 or three from PO's. His can had more rods in its dirty hole than a 5 dollar working girl.....I'm sorry, was that too much? I hope not )

Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: