Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930/65 ignition

Hi everybody!

I have a 1980 930/65 3.3 turbo engine in my 911 and I was going to check the ignition timing but I am unable to find any adjustment specs even from engine manual or other books I have. The engine is same as same year California engine and it has vacuum adjustment in the distributor. Manuals cover adjustment for few years older engines but not for this and I would like to be sure.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Lift the engine lid and check the sticker that's pasted to the underside of the lid on the right hand side. It will show the routing for all the vacuum lines as well as tell you what the timing specs are for your particular year car. Timing is set usually with the vacuum lines to the distributor disconnected and plugged, with the car running at 4000 rpms. You're looking for timing advance around 26 degrees BTDC @ 4000 rpms (for my '87 anyway). If needed, loosen the clamp bolt and rotate the distributor to achieve the correct timing. Hook everything back up and at idle your timing should be correct provided the distributor advance mechanism is moving freely and the vacuum can is pulling in some retard. Timing retard at idle - I would have to pull out my books to see if I have specifics for your '80 California 65 engine, but usually it will show retard of a few degrees at idle and will advance when the throttle is moved and the vacuum goes away.

After adjusting (again, only if needed) then re-set your idle speed via the adjusting screw at the base of the throttle body, check your CO% or AFR at the tail pipe, adjust mixture as needed, re-adjust idle, and you're done. That's the full extent of a tuneup - sans replacing/adjusting spark plugs, changing air and fuel filters, changing oil, and adjusting valves.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 07-10-2012 at 04:34 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you Mark. Apparently my engine is modified as it made over 100hp more than stock with 0.8bar boost and with original low emission exhaust manifolds. Better leave the ignition as it is, now it works like a dream even thou the marks are not where they should be and it does not knock.

I have a ducktail and some RS-glasfiber parts so I dont have original stickers.

Very nice forum and much helpfull information, I will try to participate in the community but I have previously had only N/A Porsches so I will need to keep learning the tricks of the Turbo.

Last edited by Mikkoh; 07-10-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity and for the better good of the 930 forum gods, what's your timing currently set at?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To be honest, no idea as my ignition lamp was unable to show it. Iīll have to open the engine in winter just for curiosity how itīs done But for now as it works so well I will leave it there and do all other maintenances and enjoy it as much as I can.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If your "ignition lamp" you tried is a xenon timing light that wouldn't work right then try different one. That is if you really want to know what your ignition is timed at.

If you have MSD ignition then some low cost generic dial back timing light electronics are confused by the multiple sparks and will never work.
If thats the case there are more expensive name brand timing lights with dial back for figuring out ignition advance when there are no individual timing marks in degree's on the pulley and they do work with MSD.
The stock pulley is useless for checking timing advance with a regular timing light because it only has TDC marks, and 26 degrees before TDC on #1.

There is only one pulley I have ever seen for a porsche with real timing marks and it's from Supertech. Unfortunately it's a single pulley for cars with no AC.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
930 ignition timing