Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sick About My Wheels!

Saturday afternoon I decided to take a little cruise in my 86 930, and to my surprise, PennDOT apparently decided to do some construction work to the road I selected. There was a huge trench across the road filled with stones about 4 inches lower than the asphalt where they put in a large drainage pipe. No signs, no warning....just bang....bang....swoosh and both the front and rear RH wheels and Pirelli tires ruined!
After doing some research, I found out my wheels have 38 bolts, while the new model of my P3.6 wheel has 40. I am looking to find either front and back halves of the 18 inch wheels, or new front 8 inch and new rear 10 inch 38 bolt wheels
I have turned in a report to both the state and my insurance company (Hagerty), and am awaiting results. If anyone knows of any source for my dilemma, please reply!

GHL Exhaust Dual Exhaust, Wevo shifter and coupler
935 Front Air Dam, Forgeline wheels
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Omg!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

You might want to go back and take some pictures of where it happened...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Ouch! That really sucks. I believe those are repairable, though. Probably cost about $125/wheel give or take. I've had mine repaired more than a couple of times.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Should be able to repair them. I know of a place in North New Jersey that repaired a wheel for me for my previous 94 3.6 turbo. Mine had a chunk of the wheel missing due to a pot hole...came out great! Your should be an easy fix.
pm me for info or my tel#

Rey
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

PM sent to speednme1
Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS...

about two years ago, i had a 2004 STi, with some really really expensive rare wheels. They were purchased used for $3k, and then another 1700$ having them refinished. plus tires and mounting...

i see you are in PA, i was on the NJ turnpike going north to the parkway for a local show with a buddy of mine.

I hit a pot hole on the turnpike so big, i saw it to late to move, i thought the front end of my car broke off. I was the worst sound i ever heard in a car.

My wheel looked exactly like yours, maybe a bit worse, and blew the tires to shreds.

I was able to pull off the road right away since i was in the right hand lane, walked back to the spot, took a TON of pics.

I made about 10 phone calls in the NJDOT, within 2 weeks i had a check in the mail for a new wheel.

No joke. Take pics. Call. I dont know how PA is about this stuff, but NJ took care of me.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

OUCH..., but may be fixable. Look for Alloy Wheel Repair in the web, guaranty you they have a local rep near you - it works.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I've gone native

There is a guy Jim D over in rennlist the 964 board who specializes in these style wheels.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The USA dealer for RH wheels RH Wheels Porsche P-3.6 (P2) won't sell rim halfs or hardware to the public but they used to do repairs for near the same price as a new wheel.

Maybe that can be straightened or maybe Jim Dorociak who posts here can get the rim halves for you.
He got two rear wheel outer barrels for mine from Germany a few years ago and I ordered them one inch deeper so the rear wheels went from 10 to 11 inches wide bead to bead.
I rebuilt the wheels and installed them with no spacers.
Very deep dish like that and they fit perfect with 315x30x18" tires.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Talk to Jim Dorociak. He is the master of modular wheel restoration and might have something for you.
jdorociak@gmail.com
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Wow...sorry to hear.

Like Jim Tweet I had a similar experience.

I had a set of custom made 18" wheels (cost of the wheels were $7,000) and the City has just milled the asphalt getting ready for a re-pave so all the manholes which are typically flush were sticking out 3-4 inches. One of my wheels hit it square and promptly taco'd it. I had to have my car flat bed home and next day I drove back to the spot and photographed it and even had a tape measure to show how high the manhole was.

I filed a claim with the City and filled out a report and within a few weeks had a check for $1700 for a new wheel.

Good luck with the claim and getting your wheels fixed. At least three piece wheels can be fixed and hopefully the structure of the wheel is OK and just the outer lip took the brunt of the damage.

BTW I hate PennDOT...

Yasin
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Edit...these just showed-up for sale in the classifieds...REAL Porsche Speedlines apparently:
18 Inch Speedlines
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Luckily those are 3-piece so can be repaired successfully.

The state DOTs up here are complete idiot's. I love it - they just like to paint lines on the crappy roads. Meanwhile, we're swerving all over the road to avoid they're shoddy lack of maintenance.

I have to drive 50mph on a 65mph interstate to avoid busting my suspension. That's with 15" wheels. With massive sidewalls. So while everyone does 80mph, I have to put my hazards and drive very slow.

Sigh.

Edit: Thanks infraredcalvin, maybe I should be so mad then!

Take care!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 07-16-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I know it's a different govt, but I used to work for the Public Works Dept for the City of Berkeley, between CalTrans and the City we would write checks all the time to replace tires and rims due to shoddy roads. Take a pic, receive a check.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input! I did take about 30 pictures from various angles, etc. It was unbelievable to me that any road crew could leave a site in such a dangerous condition. If I had swerved about an inch to the right, my car would have fallen into a large culvert that was left open with no protective barrier. I talked to a PennDot crew Monday morning who were on site working, NOW there is a large "MEN WORKING" sign on both sides of the road. The supervisor jokingly stated "Wow, I'll have to tell the crew chief we took out a vintage Porsche!" Of course, I did not find this at all funny, and let this idiot know how I felt!
I immediately filed a claim at the local PennDot office, and the secretary said it would take about 4 to 8 weeks to get a form mailed back to me from Harrisburg (state capital). After I fill it all out, mail it back and then wait. I am very disgruntled!
It is good to know I am not the only one who had to go through this agony!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Repair

Have it repaired and balanced.
The ability to do these repairs now days is really easy. If you would have ripped a section off they still could have repaired it...might save you some money as well.

1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: