Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Late Pictures, Sorry

Bought this car in January, have posted a few times and read many, many threads. This forum makes 930 ownership that much better. Finally got around to taking some pics.

Car is 1989, Grand Prix white, black interior, G50/50, 32k miles. COA: WBPOJB0939K05036, original engine (M93/68)still there. Options:

Raised Hub, Heated seats L/R, Blaupunkt Reno, LSD, Shorter Gear Shift Lever, wheel centers GP white, Amplifier system, Lumbar Support / L, Sunroof, Luggae Compartment Black Velour.

Cosmetics were excellent when received except headlight reflectors were milky, replaced. Also, fuel/oil level gauge had delaminated plastic membrane on inside of the lens (fixed by North Hollywood Speedometer). Had to locate and install original Reno and under seat amp, Mechanically: fuel sender, new OEM front rotors, new OEM pads all around, brake hoses replaced, new front shocks, center caps (Sierra Madre), shifter bushings (made night and day difference), full service w compression and leak down (all excellent) by TLG in North Hollywood, lowered and aligned (Johnson Alignment Torrance). Also removed the cat (this really improved the exhaust sound and the spool up is much quicker to full .8 Bar). Will have to replace the cat every 2 years for Ca smog check unless i can find someone who makes a modern cat for this application.

Drove to Monterey two weeks ago to run in the "Reunion" at Laguna Seca, 900 miles, no issues other than A/C worthless in hot weather. Replaced "bowtie" diffuser w Kuehl vent, looks nice but not enough air flow and air temp at vents is almost ambient. Plan to keep the car original but the A/C situation has me looking at all the A/C threads here.

Thanks for all the collaboration and technical information.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congratulations. Great looking car.
"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." Charles Bukowski
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Congratulations on your January purchase. I bought my 87 in February. Mine has slightly (very slightly) milky headlights too. Did you try the commercial polishing systems available before replacing them? I haven't tried anything on mine yet. As of now, mine are not to the point that I'd replace unless they're an inexpensive fix. How much were your replacements? BTW, that's a beautiful 930. My wife loves white cars and I'm sure the domestic tranquility around here would improve if I traded for a white one.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
domestic tranquility is priceless vs the alternative, i know.

Headlights: i did see the threads on cleaning the H5 lenses but was able to purchase new Bosch replacements for something like $180 each from ***********************.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

Lovely car! Congrats
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

If your headlight has these Bosch lens like my 86 does, you can buy new ones on eBay for $46.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5guy View Post
If your headlight has these Bosch lens like my 86 does, you can buy new ones on eBay for $46.

If thats the H4 lens, our Host sells them for $34. PN 911-631-927-00-m14

Quote by Charles Freeborn, Pelican.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Looks great and awfully familiar, but then I'm biased with white cars and white wheel centers. I noticed where your wheel center crests are painted black, though. Mine are GP white with the rest of the wheel. I've thought about painting them black but can't decide which I like better.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 08-30-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
My lenses were fine, it was the reflector that was milky but H5's are a single sealed unit, lens and reflector which i don't believe can be easily disassembled. I have seen procedures tried here to clean the reflector by swishing alcohol inside the housing that seem to work but i choose to just replace the whole assembly.

My car came with the original GP White center caps as well but after awhile i decided it was toooo much white and went with the black centers with the colored crest. Together with the black lugs, i like the look better.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

lovely looking car. GP white looks great on these cars.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Congrats and welcome!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Congrats on a Sweet ride!! I love my 89 GP white! The more you drive it the more you will love it!!

74 Bronco Sport 302 Auto Beach truck for the Mutts
Old 08-31-2012, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: