Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

looking for guidence/opinions from the turbo engine gods!

Im getting ready to start my turbo build. im looking to build on somewhat of a budget but not a tight one. i want good power but also reliability. im not shooting for crazy high horsepower number, more so just looking to build it and see where it ends up and move forward from there. im looking for the turbo system to be adjustable as far as boost control, not just preset boost levels. im not building a race car just a nasty street car. Im starting with a 3.0l sc motor.currently installed are 9.3:1 euro p's and c's 964 cams and raceware rod bolts.
im planning on going to a 930 crank and 97-100mm 8-8.5:1 p's and c's. im thinking of going twin turbo, 3.2 intake converted to efi with haltech engine management, twin plug with coil on plug. the fabrication stuff i can do no problem. where my knowledge lacks is on the efi side of things.
my questions are:
is there anything i need to be aware of as far as wrist pin height for the 930 crank?
is there anything else i will encounter with a 930 crank in sc cases?
any other engine management that is as big of bang for the buck than haltech?
as far as sensors and such what are the best options?
what size turbos should i go with?
opinions on different waste gates and blow off valves?
any issues with the heat from rear mounted turbos and the oil tank?

I apologize if i sound like a newbie, Ive been building cars and bikes for years im just new to the porsche world.

feel free to chime in with and opinions and advice
thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

speed

My .02 would be a 3.6, I do not think there will ever be a substitute for cubic --- . If that's not enough, add a turbo or two. Assuming your existing mill is not destroyed, there is value in the parts to build a 3.6
Old 09-09-2012, 03:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Since you have a 3.0 and your planning to put a 3.2/3.3 crank you will need new pistons, there s no clearance issues with the 3.2/3.3 crank in a SC case, it's a drop in. You can keep your 3.0 crank and go with a set of 98mm P&C's and get your 3.2 displacement and keep the shorter stroke. I personally don't like going over 98mm on the bore using a 3.0/3.2/3.3. You can go 100mm but I feel the cylinder walls are too thin and the sealing surface to the heads is not enough material. Besides once the turbo/turbos are lit it doesn't matter if it's 98mm or 100mm, the gains are minimal for a street car. With the available turbos today it is so hard to build a twin turbo that will boost up as faster than a good single under 650HP. If you are looking for more than 650HP and you want faster spooling you can with a single but it will cost you some low end lag. That is where twins can shine. But when you get to 750HP you are going to get some lag but not much. If lag is,a concern and you want 750+ you should start with a 3.6 and build a 3.8 so you have as much as a big displacement engine to have as much off boost grunt and be able to light the turbos faster. Haltech works...... I am partial to DFI but you can get good results with just about any high end ECU. Motel, Autotronics, AEM, FAST, Big Stuff even Mega Squirt. Pretty much all of these although I haven't listed them all, they all do have similarities in their software. You will get comfortable with which ever system you buy. If you are use to Haltech then you will have a bit of a learning curve. Your header design will dictate your turbo placement. Putting the turbos each side keeps weight forward, and keeps plenty room for mufflers. It also causes clearance issues with rear mounted oil tanks. Putting the turbos at the rear, 935 style, makes the overall installation easier, headers are easier to make but adds weight to the rear of the car, leaves limited room for mufflers but eliminates the oil tank problems. The 935 style headers do flow better than the side mount headers but it is a small difference. Tial wastegates are standard equipment for most. There are lot of good units out there. But Tial is a highly respected company and have a good record on customer satisfaction.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler

Last edited by GJF; 09-09-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
I'm working with Chris Carroll @ TurboKraft, who's supplying the majority of the components for my build (linked below). Mine's also 100% street car hotrod.

I'm in the UK, and I wanted to do this build myself, so getting the car over to him for a complete project wasn't an option for me!

I'm using MBE management in conjunction with a very good pal of mine who is sole distributor for them in the UK and an extremely bright chap when it comes to mapping. Chris uses AEM and MoTeC...as GJF says, they're all much of a muchness, it comes down to vendor support, user interface usability and to a certain extent the technology underpinning the "management"...by that, I mean the physical ECU itself, eg, I bought the latest top-end 9A9 model from MBE at the beginning of the year, which has both low-side and high-side output drives. I can drive a lot of anciliaries like Coil-on-plugs (CoP's), pumps, fans, etc directly without the need for relays (up to 50A), plus a load of inputs (LOADS)....but because I wanted to drive 12 spark plugs, the internal amps weren't going to be suitable; there's only 8...so MBE quickly spun me a tweaked model that has outputs for external drives (I'm now using external triple o/p Bosch amps) plus it also has the latest gen of CPU's, which are a little faster.

Chris and the TK crew have done some mega builds; the one that convinced me to pick up the phone to Chris was Tom's "Odyssey" build .....amazing build, making 800hp (IIRC) at the flywheel on E85. Chris has also done other projects like the twin turbo unit but using his new independent throttle bodies (ITB's) also making very big numbers.

I've been bitten along the way by supposed experts....very easy to get stitched-up, a lot of the posters in this forum have been there and got the t-shirt, but never regretted working with Chris, he's very much in the camp of the "good guys", very knowledgeable, helpful and fussy with the components he markets (and manufactures).

Just my 2p....

Cheers
Spencer.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo EFI conversion project here ---> http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-mbe-engine-management.html
Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you like DIY, then I can recommend SDS EFI. Did myself:

Another EFI conversion

This one is nice too:

930 EFI Conversion in process

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: