Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
No fuel leaks

Set fuel pressure to 2.5bar (36psi) as per the bitz install guide ok.

Exposed some of the MicroSquirt harness so I could find the purple/black wire (no.15) that when grounded allows the ECU to do a firmware update.
Did the update ok and installed the latest INI file into TurnerStudio as required.

All easy to do following the set by set guide here : V3 MicroSquirt® Controller Code

Now I have a blank but up to date ECU ready for setting up

1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3

Last edited by gavinc69; 02-07-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Old 02-07-2016, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

Garage
Next step is getting the FrankenCIS harness and new blank harness side by side with the MicroSquirt wiring diagram and moving all the required sensors across plus working out where the additional EFI specific bits connect.

This is the bit I'm least looking forward to
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good Gavin. The spaghetti of wires isn't as bad as it looks.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)

Garage
Wiring done........I think

I basically cut the FrankenCIS sensors off and soldered them to the same wires on the new harness. I also checked on the MS v3 wiring diagram as I did each one to see what it was for and labeled as.

I did not bother with the TPS as I won't be using it.
There appear to be 3 other FrankenCIS bits that I won't need to connect (see image).
One is the power to the old WUR power connection (wires into the back of the FraneknCIS injector, looks like its used to power the injector from the original WUR power)
Second is the FrankenCIS injector (wires into one of the Injector pins on the MS harness)
And third I'n not sure what it does but it wires to Ground, TPS & SpareInput1.

Does anyone know what its for and if I need it?

So basically the new harness mirrors the old one.
I have left all the so far none used cables on just in case I need them later.

Original FrankenCIS harness (what's left of it) :

New Harness :

Last edited by gavinc69; 02-14-2016 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

Garage
There is also a single Purple wire that will go to the old CIS air flow meter connector which controls the fuel pump relay. Forgot to get that in the photo.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Garage
Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Garage
I also need to connect the EFI injector harness.
I'll connect the Red wire to the switched positive on the small rear fuse box on the car with a 20A fuse in line as per Bitzracing manual.
And I take it the white wires to to pin out no.9 and no.10 on the MS ECU, but is there any particular way round or is it any white wire to either pin out?

Last edited by gavinc69; 02-14-2016 at 07:40 AM..
Old 02-14-2016, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

Garage
Just had a thought on what the unknown FrankenCIS sensor is and I think it maybe something like a control pressure sensor!
Otherwise I don't know how it would of measured that.

Last edited by gavinc69; 02-14-2016 at 08:13 AM..
Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
I also need to connect the EFI injector harness.
I'll connect the Red wire to the switched positive on the small rear fuse box on the car with a 20A fuse in line as per Bitzracing manual.
And I take it the white wires to to pin out no.9 and no.10 on the MS ECU, but is there any particular way round or is it any white wire to either pin out
If I recall, it doesn't matter. Luckily I didn't make any wiring mistakes and she fired right up the first time. Tony did a great job with the drawings for our 911's.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I've just wired them up any white cable to either injector out pins now.

Last edited by gavinc69; 02-15-2016 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

Garage
One thing I will need to do is change the setting for the fuel pump in MicroSquirt.
As Tony states in the Blitzracing manual " The logic is such that when the
pink wire is GROUNDED the fuel pump stops. When the pink wire is un-connected (or HIGH
IMPEDANCE), the fuel pump runs. The standard MegaSquirt software expects the fuel pump to operate opposite to this. No worry, the ECU software supplied from BitzRacing has been modified to operate with Porsche fuel pump wiring."
So I need to somehow make this same change in the MicroSquirt via TunerStudio.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same issue with the fuel pump. Some have just added a relay to solve the problem. It's mentioned on one of the MS threads somewhere on here.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

Garage
OK cool, I'll have a look see.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

Garage
Just found this post and PM'ed Jimmy2, hopefully he can still make one up :

Fuel Pump Relay logic reversal for Megasquirt
Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

Garage
After a lot of search's and reading this seems to make the most sense, sort of :

Correct, the default (solenoid unpowered) FP relay current path is from 30 through terminal 87a which is powered during "run/start" on the ignition switch. When the CIS air-plate is at rest (meaning no airflow through the engine) it closes an electrical contact and provides a ground to complete the terminal 85 to 86 current path and activates the solenoid on the fuel pump relay which pulls the switch to terminals 30 through 87 which is only powered during start. This disables the fuel pump under all other conditions except "start".
MS is designed to turn on a fuel pump by providing a ground path to activate the FP relay solenoid (85 to 86) and switch 87 to 30 to provide power to the FP during "run/start". 87a is unpowered on the MS wiring diagram (therefore inactive). To use MS to control the 911 fuel pump circuit requires inverting either MS or the OEM circuit. This can be done by making MS turn on the pump by turning off the ground path (inverting the "logic" or possibly modifying the circuit board) or switching the wires to terminal 87 and 87a at the OEM FP relay. These are the red (87a) and yellow (87). I plan to do just that. I will also remove the RPM switch from the circuit.

So to cut this short it looks like if I was to reverse terminal 87 and 87a that should do the trick?
Effectively I could remove the FP relay find the wires that go to terminal 87 and 87a, cut the wires, swap them over and re-solder them. Is that correct?
Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #275 (permalink)

Garage
Retro Cars this month with my car on the front and a 6 page spread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #276 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Cool. I'll pick up an issue when it lands stateside.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 02-26-2016, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #277 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

The injector harness has 2-12V and 2-gnd wires. The gnd should be connected to Bank 1 and Bank 2 injectors on Pin 9 and 10 of the ECU connector.

There are a few ways to wire up batch fire injectors. The easiest is that 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 represent bank 1 and bank 2. This works OK depending on your fuel settings.

I prefer to wire Bank 1 to 1-6-2 and Bank 2 to 4-3-5. This allows you to have alternate bank firing w.r.t. crank rotations 1 and 2. This can help smooth idle with big cams or big injectors. The effect will be final tune and idle injector pulsewidth dependent.

What you end up choosing depends on your wiring preference. One off idle, the injectors will be spraying so much fuel you will not notice any difference in injector wiring.

Nice job on the magazine cover.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #278 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info jpnovak. I have now wired up the injectors.

Fuel injector rails have now been tweaked and are a better fit.
Most of the MS harness has now been installed back in the car. All boost tubing is back in place, just the intercooler with air temp sensor to fit back.
Will start to program the MS now....

Last edited by gavinc69; 02-28-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Old 02-28-2016, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #279 (permalink)

Garage
Had a quick look at the TunerStudio last night and compared it with the screen shots I took of the FrankenCIS TunerStudio setup.
Unfortunately the menu's seem to be changed enough after the MicroSquirt firmware update that I may have a struggle to program everything.

One thing I noticed is the MicroSquirt firmware update I did was from this site V3 MicroSquirt® Controller Code and it is for version V3.380a but Steve, that I believe made the FrankenCIS say's that version 3.4 is the latest and FrankenCIS is based on version 3.3.2
I have also today found another site showing v3.4.1 as the latest! Megasquirt Downloads Firmware and Software - Megasquirt EFI

So I will try the 3.4.1 firmware at the weekend and see if that has the same menu layout and feature layout as the original FrankenCIS (based v3.3.2). If so I can get on with inputting the settings.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #280 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: