Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

Tuner studio has dash setup related to the specific project you are working in . The project tab features are tied to the options enabled by the firmware code.

Just burn the new firmware on the Microsquirt and start buildling your tune file. A MS2 file should import but you will have errors. you will also have to change the designation from MS2 to microsquirt. Easy.

in TS you can completely custom configure your gauges and output variables. I would guess that the FrankenCIS has a custom saved interface to deal directly with this control over the modified WUR. Just start new and make yours what you want.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-01-2016, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)

Garage
Got a few more bits done this weekend.
All sensors are now installed.
Just fitting a new larger oil tank expansion bottle whilst I can get in the engine bay.
Intercooler and air filter are then on the list to be fitted back on.

I did another firmware update but to version 3.4.1 and now all the menu drop downs are the same as they originally where (well 99%)

I have started filling in all the parameters on TunerStudio, copying the settings from the FrankenCIS screen shots I took.
All seems easy enough.
There are several menu's that I'm not sure what to do with.

Biometrc Correction
MAT Density Table
Injector Dead Time
Trigger Wizard
Dwell Battery Correction
Cold Advance

Because I'm just controlling fuel and not ignition (yet) I take it some of them I can just leave as is?

Maybe on for trying to start it next weekend
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-06-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post

Biometrc Correction

Do you mean barometric?

MAT Density Table

Read up on Ideal Gas Law. This parameter can help a heatsoaked IAT sensor during hot restarts. You simply add say 5 to 10% additional fuel at a given temp point to keep the engine from going lean.

Injector Dead Time

This is key data that when dialed in correctly, should allow you to switch between different squirts per cycle or simultaneous or alternating squirts without having to retune the entire VE map. There's latency of when the injector opens and then fuel is injected. That's the dead time.

Trigger Wizard

If your crank trigger is off to timing light, adjust accordingly.

Dwell Battery Correction

As battery voltage decreases, injectors open slower (longer dead time), making it run leaner.

And vise-versa

Cold Advance

Fuel is slower to burn in really cold temps. Add timing to aid engine starting and maintaining running.
See notes below
Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Tippy, yes I did mean Barometric.

The injector dead time on the FrankenCIS looked like this :

The current TS screen looks like this (is it OK as it is?) :

1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 03-06-2016, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)

Garage
My injectors are : ACC-150136

Only info I can find is here :
Fuel Injector Lag Time

Mine are 36lbs, 390cc, 14.4Ohms and I'm guessing will be running 12v

So looking at a similar injector I'm guessing my DT should be about 0.70?

Although the TS does say @13.2V(ms)!!!!!

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-06-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-06-2016, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)

Garage
gavin,

You can not use the dead time specs on that site for your Accel injectors. The data on the web site is for Accel high flow injectors which are low Z. Low Z injectors open much quicker than high Z injectors such as yours. I would use the settings shown in TS to get started. This is for operating the injector @13.2 VDC and at a fuel pressure of 43.5 PSI. The voltage correction of .200 ms/V adds ms time for voltages lower than 13.2 VDC and subtracts ms for voltages above 13.2 VDC. The values are interpolated by the MS code when it calculates the desired injector PW for each injection event. If you run your fuel system at a different pressure, this also affects the injector opening time. But you have find this information or buy high end injectors where this information is provided. Higher pressure slows injector opening, and lower pressure will decrease the opening time.

What boost pressure are you running? You will probably need a little bigger injector.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info Dap930 I'll pop the setting back to basic and see how I get on from there.

I'm running 0.5 bar at present, but would like to try a bit more ounce all is setup well.
I did read in another post that my 36lbs injectors probably won't quite do the job, so I'll have to upgrade them at some point soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)

Nice project!
I've been reading this forum from time to time just to see some cool cars and projects and today that was this build. Playing with Megasquirt for more than 10 years and over 30 installs, might I recommend this way to to set your injector dead time:

Megasquirt injector dead time guide, pic heavy - PassionFord

Wish you luck!
Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

^ great write up. Thanks!

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Thanks discbg. I have also used this method. I might have even seen that post before.

There are two ways to measure this. One is the linear measurement of PW versus fuel flow. The plot will intersect a "zero" flow point (Yaxis) at the injector dead time in PW (Xaxis). This does require a bench setup and takes more time.

Personally, the application specific nature of the way you tested is fantastic. Do you pick the "dribble" point or the "flow" point as your dead time? I have heard both arguments.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks discbg, that helps explain things.

On another note, as my setup is only running fuelling and not timing, yet, does it really matter if the ignition/timing settings are setup at all or correctly?

Things like :
Timing Wizard
Cold Advance
and generally anything else to do with ignition and timing?

I have copied all of the Settings from FrankenCIS that I can such as Cold Advance
Screen shots below

Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)

Garage
Also why do I not have 'Injector Port Type' as an option in my Engine & Sequential Settings'?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Just thought, is it because I have 6 Cylinders and 6 injectors selected so it must be 'port injection' only, so I removes the option! I'll check later.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)

Garage
I also received the Fuel Pump Relay adaptor today from Timmy2 (If you need one just PM him, really nice guy and easy to deal with, thanks Timmy2 ).

Looks like I should be good for a possible first startup tomorrow.

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-12-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Timmy2

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
Also why do I not have 'Injector Port Type' as an option in my Engine & Sequential Settings'?
The normal firmware does not have that setting.
It exists in FrankenCIS to allow the system to switch between normal EFI mode and the various flavours of CIS without needing to re-flash the ECU.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-11-2016, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)

Garage
Ah cool, thanks Steve.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)

Garage
Finished fitting the intercooler and air filter on.

Uploaded the TunerStudio settings to the ECU ok.

Car won't start

It swings over fine and does try to catch but doesn't and does this over and over again.

There is fuel pressure (2.5bar)

It kind of sounds like no fuel or something, I did check the live on the fuel harness which is OK.

I changed the Squirts Per Engine Cycle from 2 to 6 and it did found a little different when trying to start but still not luck.

I found a post form another member showing there working settings for Priming Pulse, Cranking Pulsewidth, Afterstart Enrichment, ASE Taper Cycles and Warn Up Enrichment (WUE).
There settings where a little different to the original FrakenCIS settings so I tried them, but still no luck.

I will post images af all my settings and would appreciate anyone that have MS2 working to have a look see and advise on anything that maybe incorrect, thanks.

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-12-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Old 03-12-2016, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-12-2016, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-12-2016, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #300 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: