Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hey Oheggem, thanks for the positive comments latest photo of the car below :

1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 11-18-2016, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
I almost never post, but when i do, it`s nonsense. However, your car is the coolest slant i`ve ever seen. Really love the look of it! WOW! Subscribed!

Might need some expertise when i go ahead with my MS install
I agree! never been a huge fan of slant cars, but this one is badass!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)

Garage
Stripped all the insulation tape on the ECU harness today to check everything is wired correctly, which it is. I then made sure the the two ground wires where not bunched with any other wires and ran them separately to the ground point in the engine bay, then also ran a wire from the ground point to the battery negative.

Still have the miss fire/hesitation at 2800rpm.

There is only one other Pelican I know of that also has a Microsquirt ECU (also on an SC turbo conversion) and he has the exact same issue! His setup is more advanced than mine with spark control too (mine is very minimal, just fuel).

This doesn't seen to be a problem that you guys with Megasquirt have so is it maybe something to do with the Microsquirt ECU!

I have maybe gone as far as I can go myself. I just don't know what to check or do next

It maybe just easier for me to remove the Microsquirt ECU and install a Megasquirt v3
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)

Garage
In your datalog does it show injector pulse width dropping at the same time your RPM's are dropping out? Are there any synch loss issues at the time? If there are no pulse width issues or synch loss issues then I would think it is an ignition issue.

Edit: I not sure how you are inputting RPM's into MicroSquirt. If you not using a trigger wheel then synch loss would not be applicable. I assume you are running MS2 Extra software. You may want to post on the MSExtra forums for some more help.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks dap930,

I will take the car out this weekend and get a datalog and post it here first, see if anyone can throw some light on the issue.
For the RPM feed I tapped into the wire that the MSD ignition use's to read RPM. It's from the connector block that used to plug into the OE ignition box. It seems to work fine but I guess could be a issue for some reason.
Microsquirt has the latest Firmware (MS2 Extra) and I use TunerStudio, again latest version.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)
Bad LT

Hey Gav long time no post from me. Car is looking good mate!
Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I have to agree with everyone else. That is a cool looking slant. It's one of the few I've seen that actually looks like a race car.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys

Fitted intercooler version 3 today, pics to follow

But back to the miss fire issue.

The weather here is now a lot colder than last time I ran the car and the tune was was out, too rich, guess that's another thing I'll have to look into.
Anyway, I let the autotune do its thing for a while and after made a logged run.

You should be able to download the log here :
TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

I have made three red line markers on the log but the last one shows the issue best.
You can clearly see the duty cycle drops at 2800rpm.
So what could cause that?

Also I notice my injector duty cycle is showing well over 100 in places.
I'm using ACC-150136 injectors which are 36lbs.

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-14-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

Garage
I posted on the MSextra.com forum with my log and instantly got some replies.
A few guys picked up some of the sensor readings where strange but this was due to those sensors not currently installed on my motor (I've only got 3 or 4, very simple setup so far).
One of these was the TPS, when I said it wasn't installed yet they said I should ground the signal wire to the sensor ground otherwise it will be acting like an antenna and picking up interference.

So that's my next job at the weekend.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

Garage
If your injector duty cycle is over 100% the injectors are too small. You probably need at least 44lb/hr or more. I am running 55lb/hr injectors and I am hitting 94 - 96% DC on my car, also a 3.0 liter, but running higher boost.

You should consider installing a TPS sensor, it can help with accel enrichment.

If your AFR's are changing from warm days to cold days, your MAT correction curve needs some attention.

I have not looked at your datalog yet, will try later.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks.

Plan is to fix the rpm hesitation issue first, then order probably 55lb injectors and install TPS and boost solenoid (both are sitting here ready).
All the other little issues are just TunerStudio settings so I may get it to a tuner after the above and get the settings all done correctly.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)

Garage
Grounded the TPS signal wire ok.

Now in the log the TPS signal is always at 0.0%, but it hasn't fixed the problem
Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
Thanks.

Plan is to fix the rpm hesitation issue first, then order probably 55lb injectors and install TPS and boost solenoid (both are sitting here ready).
All the other little issues are just TunerStudio settings so I may get it to a tuner after the above and get the settings all done correctly.
I was finally able to fix my hesitation. My spark table was not advanced as much as it needed to be. Absolutely no hesitation now. Have you thought about just going distributorless? you can do this on the cheap. I think i had a total of about $75 in used ford EDIS module, coils, and plug wires from a Ford Crown Victoria. The most expensive thing is the crank pulley. I used the goingsuperfast pulley and VR sensor clamp.(looks to be under $250 off ebay.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the update, glad you've got your sorted now

Distributorless is on the to do list but it was a bit further down the road.

I know I probably have my MSD boost retard set a bit conservatively so I may look at checking that.

Otherwise I may just go TPS, Boost solenoid and Distributorless all in one go and see what happens

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-22-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Old 01-22-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)

Garage
OK time for a new shopping list for ignition control :

This time round I will be aiming to fit the Carrera 3.2 intake I have also.

1 x Distributor Bock Off
1 x Crank Pulley
1 x Crank Trigger Sensor Mount
1 x Crank Trigger Seneor
1 x Trigger Wheel 36-1 For Megasquirt
1 x Ignition Coil Pack

I will get some of the bits from goingsuperfast as they do a kit which takes care of the dizzy block off, crank pulley, crank sensor mount and trigger wheel, so nice and simple there.
They also sell a coil pack and trigger sensor :

Ignition coil pack Chrysler V-6 DOHC 3.6L or 3.8 L. Niehoff patrs AL173 $90
Crank position sensor 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 DOHC 948F 6C315 AA $45

Maybe easier to just get the lot from one place.

Anyone know if these work with Megasquirt?
And also would I be able to use my existing Magnacor plug wires?

Are they any other parts I would need?

Or alternatively I go EDIS 6.

I think for that I need 1 x Ignition Coil Pack and 1 x Ignition Module

Is that correct?

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-26-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I know you're pretty handy with mods, Gavin and probably don't need any help, but just in case you need any notes:

3.2 Carrera manifold on an SC
Old 01-26-2017, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)

I believe you need the EDIS 6 ignition module with the Chrysler coil pack also.

Quote:

1 x Distributor Bock Off
1 x Crank Pulley
1 x Crank Trigger Sensor Mount
1 x Crank Trigger Seneor
1 x Trigger Wheel 36-1 For Megasquirt
1 x Ignition Coil Pack

I will get some of the bits from goingsuperfast as they do a kit which takes care of the dizzy block off, crank pulley, crank sensor mount and trigger wheel, so nice and simple there.
They also sell a coil pack and trigger sensor :

Ignition coil pack Chrysler V-6 DOHC 3.6L or 3.8 L. Niehoff patrs AL173 $90
Crank position sensor 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 DOHC 948F 6C315 AA $45

Maybe easier to just get the lot from one place.

Anyone know if these work with Megasquirt?
And also would I be able to use my existing Magnacor plug wires?

Are they any other parts I would need?

Or alternatively I go EDIS 6.

I think for that I need 1 x Ignition Coil Pack and 1 x Ignition Module

Is that correct?
Old 01-26-2017, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)

Garage
New list :

1 x Distributor Block Off...........................GSF Kit....................................$220
1 x Crank Pulley......................................GSF Kit
1 x Crank Trigger Sensor Mount.................GSF Kit
1 x Trigger Wheel 36-1 For Megasquirt........GSF Kit
1 x Crank Trigger Sensor..........................trigger-wheels.com kit.............120
1 x EDIS6 Coil Pack.................................trigger-wheels.com kit
1 x EDIS6 Coil Pack Pig Tail Plug................trigger-wheels.com kit
1 x EDIS6 Module....................................trigger-wheels.com kit
1 x EDIS6 Module Pig Tail Plug..................trigger-wheels.com kit

Will also need :

6 x 55lb injectors......................................Sum mitRacing - 74612............$408

I will be looking into the 40mm Phenolic Weber Carb spacer modded to allow clear injector flow path and with SC gasket below and carrera gasket above.

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-28-2017 at 02:33 AM..
Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Chain fence eating turbo

I found my 80lb injectors on eBay here in the US for only $300 new.

There were quite a few selling around those costs.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Join Facebook if you haven't already, and ask to join the MSExtra MegaSquirt Owners group.

You'll get your issue resolved in minutes.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: