Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
Are you using the Carrera idle valve?

At present I'm using the original SC idle valve (AAR). I would of liked to have used the Carrera valve as it's smaller and fits the Carrera intake better but its three pin instead of the SC two pin.
Is there a way to use the Carrera valve? and if so could it be controlled by Megasquirt to maybe give better control?
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #401 (permalink)

Garage
In the end I found a way to adjust the idle screw with the intercooler in place.

I had to turn it fully all the way clockwise which results in an idle of 1000rpm, which is fine by me as that's how I had it set previously, helps with not stalling due to the lightweight flywheel.

Generally seems OK now, I still have to check and tweak the cold and warm start up settings but its driving as it used to. Gradually doing the Autotune. The old Cell figures now make it really rich so I'm manually adjusting them down a little and letting Autotune take it from there.

Still have the hesitation near 3000rpm but I think this is still down to incorrect timing.

I will soon book the car for a rolling road tune and setup of the Microsquirt by a recommend shop about an hour from me.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #402 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
At present I'm using the original SC idle valve (AAR). I would of liked to have used the Carrera valve as it's smaller and fits the Carrera intake better but its three pin instead of the SC two pin.
Is there a way to use the Carrera valve? and if so could it be controlled by Megasquirt to maybe give better control?
Yes. You use a 50watt/40ohm resistor on one side of the coil to GROUND, 12v to middle, and FIdle to other side coil.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #403 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Eagle Day should have the Bosch Jr. Amp Timer 3-pole connector to hook up with pigtail if you go 3.2 ICV.

Doesn't matter which side has FIdle or resistor/ground because yoy can reverse in the TunerStudio ICV settings if backwards.

Last edited by Tippy; 04-24-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #404 (permalink)

Garage
Ok thanks Tippy, I'll look into doing that soon.

This weekend I'll make the TPS pig tail and connect it up plus install the boost solenoid ready for the car to be rolling road tuned soon.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #405 (permalink)

Garage
Been doing a bit of research on installing the DIYautotune boost solenoid and from what I can see it looks like the only way to control it from a Microsquirt V3.0 is with the FIDLE (pin7) which as Tippy says is where I would connect the Carrera idle valve.

So it may either Carrera idle valve and a manual boost controller to enable 0.7 or 0.8 bar.

Or

SC idle valve and boost solenoid (with what ever advantages that may give!)

So which would be the preferred setup?

I'm guessing if the SC idle valve is working and doing the job, would it be better performance wise to have a boost solenoid over a manual boost controller?
I should be able to run over boost protection which would be good.

I also have a Turbosmart manual boost controller here that a friend gave me so I can go either way.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #406 (permalink)

You can hook it up to the ALED or WLED also(the boost controller, that is)

Quote:
Been doing a bit of research on installing the DIYautotune boost solenoid and from what I can see it looks like the only way to control it from a Microsquirt V3.0 is with the FIDLE (pin7) which as Tippy says is where I would connect the Carrera idle valve.

So it may either Carrera idle valve and a manual boost controller to enable 0.7 or 0.8 bar.

Or

SC idle valve and boost solenoid (with what ever advantages that may give!)

I'm guessing if the SC idle valve is working and doing the job, would it be better performance wise to have a boost solenoid over a manual boost controller?
I should be able to run over boost protection which would be good.

I also have a Turbosmart manual boost controller here that a friend gave me so I can go either way.

Last edited by scottrx7tt; 04-26-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Old 04-26-2017, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #407 (permalink)

Quote:
2-wire idle motor + boost solenoid valve
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #408 (permalink)

BTW, I am running a 2 wire ICV from a 90s model Saab 900. It's almost identical to the carrera ICV.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #409 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

BMW unit works as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #410 (permalink)

Garage
Great thanks for the info guys.

I will get the Bosch unit as pictured above and install the boost solenoid.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #411 (permalink)

Garage
Booked in for a dyno run a short time ago but car decided it didn't want to go

Day of the dyno, I wouldn't start and was pig rich on cranking, so much that it started to drip from the exhaust studs on to the headers.

After a morning of cleaning spark plugs, checking TunerStudio settings etc etc etc without luck I poked around in the EFI cables and it fired up instantly.

I missed my dyno window so the car was taken for a short run and put away again.

Now since then the car just won't start and over fuels as before. It seems something is shorting the fuel injector signal and causing the injectors to just open up continuously.
I just can't find the cause

End result, I've had enough and getting a local company to install an Omex 710 ECU that will control fuel and spark. They will set the hole thing up and dyno also.

So fingers crossed this will be the end of me constantly having to try and fix s**t and I can finally just drive the car
Old 09-01-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #412 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Man, sorry to hear your troubles.

Too bad you couldn't try another MS to see if it was the ECU.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #413 (permalink)

Garage
Truly amazing thread....reminds me of my early Subaru days....5 years in the making. Beautiful Slant Nose...I have one and just started to find Turbo parts for my 80 SC Slant. I definitely am going lower compression pistons though, possibly EURO ones for an SC.
Subscribed
Old 10-11-2017, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #414 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: