Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Welding finished on the Air Flow Meter Bonnet...............Just need to be cleaned up some and painted black....

1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice piece.

Weldings look good and the lip turned out great.

Bodes well
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Gavin,
I like the bonnet. How are you going to attach it?
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Bad LT

Have you bought an electric oil pump yet? I am starting to look for one now myself.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
The bonnet has been welded inside and out so fingers crossed it is air tight.

I've got some 127mm Silicone coupler so will cut that down to the correct height and use 2 x jubilee clips to hold it on just as SOK did with there very similar version.
There is a welded and smoothed lip on the bonnet and also a lip on the factory Air Flow Meter so that should stop the bonnet from lifting...

I got the oil scavenger pump from eBay :

NEW Electric Oil Scavenge Pump for Remote Low Rear Mount Turbo Return Line 12v | eBay
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-27-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Bad LT

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of one of these.
Tilton 40-525 Cooling Kit Differential Oil Pump 12 V DC Kit | eBay

While I am here. Where are you planning to get your oil feed for the turbo from and where are you going to feed it back to? Pics?

Last edited by Uncle; 01-28-2013 at 01:35 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Its good to have a lip on anything that is pressurized; otherwise, you have couplers that come off. I had that problem until I finally had beads welded to form a lip.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
The oil feed is from the oil pressure switch located at the top back (opposite fan end) of the engine, its the location the 930 use's.
I've purchased a kit from TurboKraft for the 930 that replaces the factory kit and included an oil limiter to help stop the turbo smoke on start up.

TurboKraft : Catalog Home : Turbocharger Oil Feed Line Set : 3K-Warner [930 CVS BWK TK] - $205.00

Oil will be returned back to the oil tank.
I'll get pics posted as I do it.

I will be getting lips added to all me ally pipe work ounce i've got the correct lengths cut and tested.

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-28-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Steel bonnet cleaned and ready for paint.....

One side carbon block off installed.....

Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Started working on the install this weekend.

So far, the old Fabspped exhaust has been removed.
I then installed the OBX headers. The only issue I found was a small lip on the headers didn't allow them to fit flush to the bottom of the engine and the exhaust studs to stick out past the flange far enough to get a nut on. So I just cut off the lip and ground it so the top flange was nice and flat. Once all six where done the headers fitted fine, no problems at all.
Next I fitted the Tial wastegate and the wstegate dump pipe, I had to cut the pipe short as it was a generic length.

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-03-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Captain Annoying

Garage
man, must have some casual laws there if you can run a screamer pipe!
Good project though, am following with interest.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Bad LT

I had the same flange problem with my GSF headers on my SC motor. Quick grind and file had it sorted.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Glad I'm not the only one having to grind off the lip then..

The Fabspeed Supercup exhaust system that was on the car was quite loud so hopefully the Zork won't be too much louder or even as loud.
I've only ever heard Zorks on Youtube so have no first hand experience as to the noise!!!

I will be dropping the engine this weekend to install most other bits including the oil feed line and vacuum connections on the back of the throttle body.

Will get photos done as I progress
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Bad LT

Looking forward to the photo's. Sounds like you're about a week ahead of me. I'm just waiting on my 3.2ltr manifold to come. Have mounted the Turbo and gate and started to plumb the fuel system.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Engine is out so I popped over to have a quick look on the way home from work
and look at the rear of the throttle body to get an idea of what vacuum connections
I need to cap off etc :

The Decel Valve has to be removed so I will cap off the two larger connections.
The Thermo Valve sits in between the Decel Vavle and the Warm Up Regulator and
still need to be connected, so I will disconnect it from the Decel Valve to plug it directly into the Throttle Body. This looks like the same others have done in there posts.

One of the two small vacuum ports next to each other is already capped off.
The other port runs down to the Distributor Cap so i'm thinking this needs to be left connected!

There are also two connections on the front of the Throttle Body :

The lower smaller port runs down to the Distributor Cap but it has been capped off and has been like this as long as I remember.

The larger port runs to the top of the Warm Up Regulator so again I'll leave this as it.

If anyone has any info or other advice on these connections please let me know, thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Got some major progress today, I'm well happy with the results so far seeing as I don't really know what I'm doing!

Only real problem so far is it appears the Turbo is sitting way higher than normal.
No idea why! No one else's threads seem to report this.

I have had to cut loads out of the rear tin ware to get round the turbo. I will make
a plate formed to fit over the turbo and fill in the gaping hole on the tin ware.
And due to the location of the turbo I will install heat shielding material above the turbo, below the tin ware.

The genuine turbo bracket does also not fit correctly so I will have to modify that to fir also!

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-09-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage

Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: