Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
I believe the wire to take tach signal is the black purple one from the dizzy.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Bad LT

I like this idea. Let us know if you find an "off the shelf" sump cover you can buy.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

Garage
Cheers quattrorunner, I'll check that out at the weekend and see if I can run the Tach directly from the dizzy :-)
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Garage
Went to a Supercar breakfast meet last weekend.
A few people filmed some of the cars leaving, mine was one of them (1:47 )

Supercar Accelerations! Wilton Wake Up! F12, Enzo, Murcielago SV & more... - YouTube
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
sounds great
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Garage
Decided to clean up the install of the MSD 6AL and Boost Retard unit.

Made a simple aluminium plate to hold the units.
Spayed satin black.

Installed the MSD mounting feet for the plate and cut carpet.

Mounted the MSD units on the plate and fitted.
Still need a little tidy of the wires but meuch better than before.

Whilst installing the 6AL back I found one of the pins in the multi-pin plug was pushed in, guess which pin it was for..................yeap....the tach signal!!!!

Managed to pull the pin back out and install the plug.
Only had chance to very quickly test the tach and there was life.
But due the the egine having no oil in I couldn't start the car.
So after contacting MSD technical support and them saying I now needed there tach adaptor it seems they where wrong!!

The sump plate is off the car and having a AN-10 fitting welding in place for the turbo oil return.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
Welding finished on the Air Flow Meter Bonnet...............Just need to be cleaned up some and painted black....

Hi!
Where is the small port of the bonnet connected?

You have a very nice project and I now feel the need to do a turbo conversion on my 3.0 SC
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

Garage
Hi lightning,

Please check pages 3 and 4 of this thread.
The port was originally connected to the AAV, I thought this was the correct thing to do after seeing a few other metal air flow bonnets with the small port.
It turns out that is incorrect and the port does not even need to be there.
So if you make a bonnet don't bother with the small port I had. Mines is now just blocked off.

The AAV but the way connects to one of the ports on the rear of the throttle body, again see page 4 of the thread.

Cheers
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

Garage
Slowly progressing with the new oil sump return.

See Uncle's thread below for extra info on the oil return :

3ltr SC with boost added project

Managed to finish off the sump ready for fitting.

I will be removing the original oil scavenger pump to be replaced awith a TruboWerx pump. This should be considerably quieter and cause less cavitation (this is covered in Uncle's thread above).
There will also be a AN-10 one way check valve installed at the sump plate fitting to stop oil flow back to the pump etc when the motor is switched off.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Garage
Sump plate installed.

The angle the turbo return comes off the plate means I couldn't fit the check valve, but I can fit it at the pump.

Started the car all ok and seems like no leaks
After a short time warming the motor I noticed vapour from the oil tank catch can filter! So fingers crossed when the new TurboWerx pump gets here it will hugely reduce the vapour, otherwise I'm going to have to try gravity drain with no turbo drip tank and no scavenger pump.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Bad LT

Very interesting Gav. How much drop do you have from the bottom of the turbo drain point back to the sump?

I'll also chuck a quick post up in my thead as to how I am going with my set up.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Garage
Not good news tonight.
Started the car OK, then noticed a spitting noise from the exhaust intermittently and it started to run ruff, like it was on 5 cylinders.
After some investigation I pulled all spark plugs and found that #2 was really black and appeared a bit wet!
All other plugs where a bit black and sooty but dry.
Cleaned all plugs and reinstalled.
Car started and ran fine for 30-40 secs before the ruff running started again.

Guessing I'll need to do a compression test.

Not sure it the wet plug was fuel or oil!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)
Bad LT

Hmm that's not so great. Have you looked for oil in your intercooler/pipes?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
Bad LT

Just thinking out loud but could it be oil not draining out of the turbo fast enough and going past the comp cover oil seal?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)

Is this a CIS car? Clogged injector?

Any smoke out the exhaust? Blue smoke = oil, black smoke = rich.... white smoke = you got something really funky going on =)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)

Garage
Had a chat with a few guys in the know today......plus checked the plugs again which looked OK (still missing when started though).
I'm starting to think its a fuelling or ignition issue.
I will check the intercooler pipes tomorrow also Uncle

Seems to be one step forward and two steps back at the moment

I will also try a new set of plugs if I can get some tomorrow.

There is no oil coming from the exhaust at all (there is always a little on first cold startup for 30 secs or so, but thats always happened since the turbo install and i've been told thats quite normal) but otherwise no smoke.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

Garage
Just thinking, my spark plugs are Bosch plugs for the 3.0SC, I should probably be running plugs for a turbo!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
JI'm starting to think the drumming noise is actually detonation and not the intake pipes on the rear fire wall!
I adjusted the boost retard to max just to see what happened and the drumming seamed to be less. I really need to get a timing light on it and check it out,
maybe need to adjust the distributor so it gives less total advance so the boost retard can dial out all detonation.
My suggestion would be to install a unit that not only provides programmable retard under boost, but also actively listens for detonation and adaptively retards ignition (per-cylinder) as necessary to control it.

The J & S Safeguard "universal" will do this in one box; I've had good results with mine.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Check things over again today plus the continuity of the ignition wires.
No oil in the intercooler pipes.
All appeared OK.
Removed all plugs, checked them and they apeared all similar condition now.
I managed to find a spare set of Bosch plugs with the standard gap (not gapped for the MSD ignition).
Installed them and...................started and ran fine.
Let it warm up OK and went for a quick drive with no problems.

Fingers crossed thats sorted and I'm back to the other outstanding issues to sort.

Last edited by gavinc69; 06-24-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)

Garage
TurboWerx pump arrived today and new spark plugs should be here tomorrow.
Hopefully I will get chance to fit them on Wednesday.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: