Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looks familiar...

Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)
Bad LT

Nice install. Have you got a photo of the under side of the engine tin?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Bottom...

Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)
Bad LT

Hey thanks for that.
So its clear that the turbowerks pump has no problem with drawing oil upwards then!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Garage
Now thats a custom install.....sweet
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Bad LT

How have you gotten along Gav?

I've not had much time to work on my thing. Planning to try and get out in the shed tonight.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Sorry for the long delay Uncle.
I've been away all weekend but I did manage to get several hours on the car tonight.

The new TurboWerx pump is installed and works well. It is basically silent

I temporarily cable tied the intake charge pipes together and made a small bracket to help hold them tight.
This has now greatly reduced the drumming noise I had when on boost.

Just need to make up a more permanent solution to secure the pipes

I'm finally getting to enjoy the booooooossstt with out thinking the engine will blow.

Lastly there is still lots of vapour from the oil tank when you take the filler cap off when the engine is hot.
I think having a catch can fitted for the tank means its always going to fill up quickly due to the vapour condensing.
I will try bypassing the catch can and just use a filter on the breather port take off from the filler neck. See how that works.

Glad to get some good progress as I want to drive the car to Goodwood Festival Of Speed on the 14th and Silverstone Classic on the 21st

Hows things your end Uncle?
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3

Last edited by gavinc69; 07-01-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)
Bad LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
Glad to get some good progress as I want to drive the car to Goodwood Festival Of Speed on the 14th and Silverstone Classic on the 21st
Bastard.

Slow at this end mate. Just had too much work and house stuff to do. Although after 6 years of talking about it I have gotten our old fuel stove in the kitchen up and running. Awesom woodfired pizza!

The only thing I've done was find the reason behind my misfire after warm up that was like a ghost in the machine. Turns out as one of the coils was warming up it was braking down and not sparking. bla bla bla much yelling and beer later it's sorted.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Garage
Woodfired pizza sounds superb, especially with a cold beer

Should have some more time on Sunday to look at a support/bracket for the charge pipes and install a filter on the oil tank breather.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Garage
All well so far, done about 400 miles with no real issues.

Small filter on the oil tank breather seems to be working OK.
Oil return to the sump plate is working fine.

Got a 2 week holiday to Orlando with my son this month, after that I will start the instll of the AEM methanol injection kit.
This should really limit the chance of any detonation and maybe give me some extra HP.
I could up the boost and or timing when the kit is on but i'll see how things go.

The AEM kit allows me to set a start boost pressure at which it gives 10% spry and then set a full spray at a higher specific boost pressure. The spray is increased from the 10% to 100% as the boost level increase's. The full spray can be set at a minimum of 6PSI which is ideal seeing as my max boost is just 0.5bar (7.25psi).

Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Not sure I would go full spray with only .5 bar. It depends on the nozzle you use though I guess.
I have a snow kit and also an Intercooler so I disconnected the wmi kit since.
Here is my thoughts on the wmi..
1) it needs tuning to get right
2) if done right it does have a little more power
3) if not right it's got some odd effects, at least on my car. My muffler sounded like it might explode on closed throttle snap right after boost. Huge BANGs accompanying the standard pops and gurgles. Alarming trust me. And soon after my crappy obx was indeed cracked at the seams.
4) there has been talk of cylinder wash by some pretty reputable turbo techs lately possibly resulting in rebuilds.

So just be careful.
Will I use it again? I think I will once I get my tank redesigned( I removed my washer tank and now have the stupid tank that comes with the kit and don't know where to mount it).
But I'm careful about the spray onset and amount I use. I had gotten it dialed in right but didn't need full spray as I remember.
good luck.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info quattrorunner, wonder if I set the start psi as per normal and then the full spray psi at above my engine max, say 10 psi, that way I should then never see max spray!
It should start at 10% spray and then build but never get to 100%

Or is there a better way to set it to not get max spray?

Guess I'll have to do some research on the setup and testing.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I think mine has a setting for both % and psi start. You can set the % to be whatever you want on mine. Your idea would also work I'd guess. But do start conservative and build to what works best.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Garage
Been some time, cars been generally running well.

Have a slight leak form the oil return connection on the sump cover. Will be loosening that and putting some thread sealer on it soon, hopefully should do the job.

Still have oil coming out of the oil tank vent filter thats installed.
Spoken to a few people and looked through various threads for similar issues and
I'm going to try a few other designs of venting the tank, see what happens.

I have lowered the engine slightly to remove the custom made intake bonnet so I can reduce its height by 10mm or so as it was pushed tight to the fire wall insulation.
This may have been causing the drumming noise under hard acceleration.
Should find out soon once its installed back again.

Whilst the bonnet if off I have leaned the idle mixture as it was running very rich at idle causing hunting when cold and also warm.
It was also fouling the plugs a bit.
Before the 930 WUR was installed it only used to hunt when cold but I think due to my idle being adjusted rich anyway and then adding the 930 WUR which may also help it to run richer the two together where causing the issues.
The AFR is around 10.2 when cold and only goes upto 12's when warm.
I have read 14 to 14.5 should be ideal for idle so mine is well rich.

Not had a dyno yet but had some side by side 'tests ' with some friends cars (Aston Martin Vantage V8 4.7, Renault GTA V6 turbo with 275 dyno HP)
I had the Renault, I could just about pull away from him.
The Aston was faster but not as much as your'd think, my slow change 915 box and turbo lag where the issue's, when the turbo came in he couldn't pull away from me.
My car is also lightened a bit but I'm thinking it must be aprox 270-300HP.

Also I'm running a standard 3LDZ turbo, so K27-7200 etc should give quicker spool up (another future upgrade).

Looking into either a G50 box install or rebuild of my 915 with some goodies on it to help take the load.

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-11-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like you have build a fun car.

For idle, I think 14.5 is too lean. As far as I remember, you want to be around 3.0 CO or about 13.4 AFR.

Others can chime in on that one.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Enjoyed this thread. I have more fun fabbing stuff than buying, except headers. That's black art!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Garage
This is about the 3rd design for an intake bonnet and now finally all seems good.

The last metal one worked OK but due to it needing a 3mm silicone band and jubilee clip to attach it to the air flow metering lip it stopped me being able to adjust the idle mixture with the 3m allen key.
So I ended up bying a new genuine intake bonnet as mine has a split in it, cutting it in half and fabbing some firbeglass from the oblong shape end to a round 3" pipe.
It came out well and looks OK after painting.
It fits great and allows me access to the idle mixture.

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-01-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Cool project. I like the home brew fixes.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Garage
One problem I'm just going to start on is the fueling.

If the car is left running idle for say 10 to 15mins and you then rev it you can tell its missing due to over rich mixture (when the plugs are pulled they are black with dry carbon).

My AFR's seem fine, aprx 13.8 warm idle, 14.4 cruise and 11.7 on boost.
The car does surge on a cold start up for a short while which I understand is due to too rich mixture..

If I lean the idle mixture it also affects the rest of the AFR, so something like :

Idle warm 14.4 gives boost AFR of 12.4

When the 930 WUR was rebuilt to standard spec I ask for it to be made adjustable. The only option they would offer was to drill a whole in the bottom to allow warm/boost adjustment.

So am I right in thinking I need cold adjustment option on the WUR to be able to get everything dialled in correctly?

I need to lean the idle and maybe cold and then richen the boost.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: