Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Tune up on 77 turbo question with photos.

Working on a customer car I found two things and need to know why the PO did them.

I think the oil pressure "looking" switch is the over boost switch. The po disconnected and grounded it I don't know why.

Also the vacuum line is plugged " the one with my hand in photo" coming from the BOV unit. Where doe's it go and why would it be disconnected?
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Kodioneill,

The overboost switch was probably getting old and switching off so they bypassed it, should install new one. Not sure about the vac line.

Rod
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Vacuum line should do to diverter valve. Is the air pump missing or disconnected?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The air pump is gone. Thanks guy's for your help.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Dan Jessup

Garage
I was thinking is was some sort if air sensor that was grounded... So what did you find was the reason they grounded the overboost?!?

Here is a pic of my situation --- the PO said he had a stalling issue years ago?!?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I over-boost switch is part of the fuel pump circuit. When the pumps start to get old they draw more amperage which cause that boost switch wire to get hot. The center of the boost switch is a plastic diaphragm which ultimately melts causing start and running issues.
I had 2 fail in short order and not wanting to invest in a new pumps I elected to solder my switch closed and continue to use it.
I need to budget for the pumps.

Tinker

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: