Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Well,
After all this work to be able to bring the car over to the UK, I was told a week ago that I could not get anything more than liability insurance. As the car would have to stay on the street, there is no way I will take that chance. I had to put the car in storage yesterday and I won't have a 930 to drive on UK tracks during the next year and a half...
Well, thanks everybody for all the advice. I will be without a Porsche but I will surely continue to spend time on Pelican!
What worries me the most is the shipping from Victoria, BC to Ottawa, ON when I come back in December 2014, my last experience with shipping a Porsche was less than stellar so I will have to find a good shipping company. Maybe leave the car here for a few more months and drive it when the weather is better... that could be a good road trip.
Cheers
David

1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Must be a UK thing as a Porsche buddy posted to Germany does not have that problem.

For the normal TB Per Diem, I'll drive your car to Ottawa

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
They said it was a combination of car year and Porsche being on the "exception list". I waited for a special permission from the underwriter but no luck.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
That doesn't surprise me much. When I had a lowly 924 about 10 years ago in London, the insurer insisted on it being garaged even though it was worth about GBP1500...

Their reasoning? "It's a Porsche"...
Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

"I had to put the car in storage yesterday and I won't have a 930 to drive on UK tracks during the next year and a half..."

There are a lot of neat cars in Europe we don't get in North America. Sample the local goods, flog them on the Autobahn and narrow country roads, enjoy.
Then come back to your waiting 930.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Especially in the UK, as it probably has one of the most grey import friendly legislations for car importation in Europe.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Thanks guys, i will sure do that.
I'm boarding the Queen Mary 2 with my family today and i will be in London in a week and then, the hunt for a good car will start.
David
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Enjoy your trip! That sounds like a much more fun way to travel to the UK than flying.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:

I'm boarding the Queen Mary 2 with my family today and i will be in London in a week and then, the hunt for a good car will start.

David

You'll enjoy the QM2 David, brilliant experience. Me and the family did the reverse of your trip last sept, followed by 4-5 days in NYC where we met up with John C (mod from the Engine Building forum), before flying home.

Met some v interesting folk on board, guys that had all "done something" in life. Time flew by, wish I could do it all again!

When you get here, make sure you pop into the UK sections in the various fora on Rennlist plus the area sections on PistonHeads so you can find an area meet to pop along to. I'm in the kent area, so anything in the Kent/Essex/Surrey arwea is do-able

Cheers for now (suspect you won't be reading this on the dire internet connection on board QM2 though!!)

Spencer
Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
David
Enjoy your stay in the UK and safe trip. the company I work for provide cellular service onboard QM2, so you will be able to read your posts out at sea :-) But note higher rates out at sea :-(
1986 944 Turbo
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for the wishes, the trip is as expected, very nice indeed. 4 more days and we will get to Southampton. I will make sure to the get on the local forums and look forward to meeting new Pelicanites!
David
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
non-whiner

I lived in London for 4 years until 2006 when I moved back home. I took my 1970 Mustang convertible with a 460 V8 with me. Company told me "anything I could fit in a 40 foot shipping container." Well then, out came the living room couches (they wouldn't fit in our St. John's Wood townhouse anyway) and in went the car. Took me a month and 500 to get my MOT. I also told the wife we had to have a garage. Had the car for 3 months and took it to several very well attended local car events (lots of great gearheads in the UK). Sold it for 25k which was $50k at the time in a very questionable transaction at the Oxford rest stop on the M40 where I handed over the car and documents and he handed me a paper bag full of cash.

You are going to have a blast!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
non-whiner

Found a couple of pics taken just before we moved:

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice car!
I wish I would have managed to find a way to bring it over there as well.
It should be fun though. Trying a different car could be interesting and will probably just make me want to drive the 930 more.
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Sold it for 25k which was $50k at the time in a very questionable transaction at the Oxford rest stop on the M40 where I handed over the car and documents and he handed me a paper bag full of cash.
LMAO!....ker-ching!....know that service station well, but sadly only for it's coffee and not the receipt of bags of money, lol!

Nice car, sounds like you both did well.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So just for a quick update, as I won't be able to drive the 930 and as I have limited budget for another car (considering that I have two cars in storage back in Canada) and that I have to carry my family with 3 young kids, I am thinking of a 2000 (so I can bring it back to Canada when I return in December 2014) Audi RS4. The euro cars had 380hp in a wagon, it should be alright for weekend trips and some track days. And to drive the Nurburgring. I will have to read a bit more on them because 380hp from a 2.7L twin turbo V6 may impact longevity.

1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: