Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Recommendations for '86 930 Turbo service in New Jersey

Hi all - long time lurker here. I'm excited to say that I've come into a 1 owner 1986 930 Turbo with, get this, 27209 original miles. It was my father's and has recently be given to me. Ironically, the date the title was originally issued (12/19/86) is the date that he signed over the title to me (I should play those number at the lottery I plan to put together a more comprehensive post about my recent acquistion to give a full run down of how this car is what got me into performance cars. That'll happen by separate post.

What I'd like your thoughts on is where to have the car gone over from tip to tale. Also, I believe the reverse gear is chipped so that will have to be diagnosed and repaired. I live in Bridgewater NJ. I've been looking at Power-Tech in Rockaway. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Here are a few pictures of the window sticker, related purchase document, the only picture I currently have of the car (yes, that's me in HS - took my date to the prom in it ) and my other go fast car (1200ish rwhp / 1200ish rwtq 2006 Z06 - quickest its gone in the 1/4 is 8.57 @ 151). Thankfully, my dad kept EVERYTHING relating the Turbo's purchase, which will become part of my binder of key supporting documents.

Thanks for your insights - this forum is among the best I've found for productive, useful Porsche knowlege and opinions.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 12-22-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very cool old picture, spending 60k on a car back then was a lot of dough. I like the Vette also.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Very cool old picture, spending 60k on a car back then was a lot of dough. I like the Vette also.
Thanks! I agree - tons of dough, but as we've all found, once you have a dream car in mind, and attainable, little will stop you from getting it. My dad came from nothing, worked his ass off, and in '86 bought the turbo and a 911 convertible which has 12000 miles on it now. That was his year to say, I've worked hard enough to justify these. I grew up with these cars and love them to death!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What kind of mods are required to take a Z06 to 1200whp?

Congrats on being the new owner of your Dad's 930. Awesome story.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Congrats ...and welcome. They're several good shops around. I've used pwr-tech once before. They are a good outfit. At the moment though I mainly use European Autoworks in West New York, NJ for routine maintenance work(when I'm not doing it). I've used Dan Jacobs as well in Connecticut(excellent shop). If you get a chance join your local pca, they have a list of reputable shops.

I look forward to possibly seeing it some day. Enjoy it in good health.....oh and the vette is....hottttt
Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Congrats welcome aboard.
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Powertech in Rockaway, NJ. They have done extensive work on my '86. Mike used to race a 600 hp 930. They are honest, fair and know 930's inside and out. Can't ask for more than that. PM me if you need more info.

Dave Martin
Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Congrats good luck! What happend to the rear right quarter that had to be refinished when your dad picked it up?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug68 View Post
Congrats good luck! What happend to the rear right quarter that had to be refinished when your dad picked it up?
As I recall, there paint defects and possibly some deep scratches. Nothing structural. I'll confirm later today.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

As for the vette, the better question is what hasn't been done to it. It's now got an RHS aluminum block 427 with a Novi 2500 supercharger pushing 23-25# psi on race gas. Everything else on the fuel, and drive train, clutch etc are beefed up. It's an absolute blast to drive. I daily drive it to work when it's nice out. Now I'll alternate between the turbo and vette
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Nice story. You're so lucky to have some photographs of you and the car. As a young adult i hated when photos were taken for no reason I can think of. Now I'd love to flip through pics of those days, the cars, the places, and people (some who are gone now).

Cool thing about having such an insane vette is that you should be able to resist the über-HP bug with the Porsche and just enjoy it for what it is. I've kept mine relatively stock, just bolt on mods, for the same reason. After liter class bikes, cars are slow. I even spent to improve the AC recently!
Enjoy.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FlashGordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave930 View Post
Powertech in Rockaway, NJ. They have done extensive work on my '86. Mike used to race a 600 hp 930. They are honest, fair and know 930's inside and out. Can't ask for more than that. PM me if you need more info.

Dave Martin
+1 Another vote for Powertech. They've serviced my car for 15 years. I remember when it was just Mike and Keith... Great guys!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Congrats on being the new owner of your Dad's 930. Awesome story.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Cool thing about having such an insane vette is that you should be able to resist the über-HP bug with the Porsche and just enjoy it for what it is. I've kept mine relatively stock, just bolt on mods, for the same reason. After liter class bikes, cars are slow. I even spent to improve the AC recently!
Enjoy.
That's the plan. One thing I've come to learn, modding is a slippery slope. This car, with its history, low mileage and sentimental value deserves to be kept original. It would be my dream to pass it along to my son (who is now 10 and is into cars as much as me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
+1 Another vote for Powertech. They've serviced my car for 15 years. I remember when it was just Mike and Keith... Great guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave930 View Post

Dave Martin
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be dropping off the car Friday. Started it up last night after god knows how long. Fired right up - love the sound of the car. Now we gotta get the '86 convertible (with approx. 18K original miles) in front of it running. Not much luck last night. That car is going to my sister. Here are a few pictures including one of the old man (said with the greatest respect ). Don't worry, what looks like some kind of liquid on the floor is NOT from the cars.

And a final picture of when it was last out (I think). Dad used to have the H1 - that truck saved his life in a head on accident with a drunk driver. Incredible machines.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas all
Old 12-24-2012, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

1SwtRide, none of my business really but I say, Clean up that garage first!
So the porsche has a nice resting spot. JMHO
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
1SwtRide, none of my business really but I say, Clean up that garage first!
So the porsche has a nice resting spot. JMHO
hahaha, trust me, I say that to my dad ALL the time (that's one of his garages). Fortunately for me, my garage is much cleaner and the Turbo will have a uncluttered spot to rest

John
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Off to PowerTech / Suggestions for personalized plate

Pulled the car out and off to PowerTech. Met Mike and we discussed the game plan. He appeared impressed / stoked to have an all original 930 with so few original miles. I got a good feeling from Mike and the shop. Some really cool cars from all years in the shop. NJ got snow yesterday so the shop will do a thorough once-over on Monay to check out the the state of the car, recommend next steps, and get the car back in my hands!

I'm going to get historic plates (NJ issues historic (QQ - - - - - -) for cars that are 25 years or older. I'm thinking QQ MY930, QQ 86 930 or QQ 930T. I think the max characters after the QQ is 6 characters / spaces. Anyone have some suggestions?

Everytime I see this car (or the 930 generally) I can't help but smile! Happy New Year all

Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I like the H4 headlights, I don't like the fact that someone drove such a low mileage mint vehicle through the mud. JMHO
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

if for whatever reason you are unhappy with powertech, i'd recommend protosport in pompton plains, nj
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

No vanity plates needed IMO. Whatever DMV issues, then figure out a saying for your random plates.
Congratulations and welcome.
"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." Charles Bukowski
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I strongly disagree with Quadcammer. Be forewarned. Go there at your own risk.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: