Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Who says car guys can't be artisans???!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

"Personally, I think the large braided lines are fine (good enough for NASCAR)"

Race cars use stainless or kevlar braided oil and fuel lines because they are custom made by the race teams.
Braided lines have a life expectancy and then they should be discarded and replaced after a certain amount of time. The rubber hose under the braiding eventually rots but you can't see it when it starts drying out and cracking or turning soft and mushy under the abrasion resistant braiding.
On aircraft a stainless steel tag with the manufacture date is clamped on to all braided lines and some race teams do that too because you'd never know when their useful time is up otherwise.

For a street car that has factory made gold cad plated steel oil lines available or already there that fit correctly and are mandrel bent where they turn or curve... are much better and more durable to road debris and age than stainless or aramid fiber braided lines.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info Brian, I will do some searches on headers for factory slants.

TT, be very careful with the oil lines from the thermostat to the oil cooler. Mine started leaking (the crimp that is the joint between the rubber and metal part) because I bent them a little so they would not rub on my 315's. I opted to buy the factory replacements so yep nothing like factory. OUCH!!$$$
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Not to get off topic on Brians headers but Tt surgeon has his oil cooler in the passenger side rear fender where the slotting is on some of our cars. So probably a special case with his oil lines.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Looking forward to delivery ....... thanks Brian!
Enjoyed the comments & looking forward to getting the car back together.
Dave
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
This is the beauty going on Brian's artwork!
Dave
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Looks sweet.

More details on the build, please.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I've gone native

Quote:
Not to get off topic on Brians headers but Tt surgeon has his oil cooler in the passenger side rear fender where the slotting is on some of our cars. So probably a special case with his oil lines.
Exactly, this creates a special issue anybody w a factory slant has to be aware of when contemplating headers.
Brian has built a fantastic set of headers, kudos.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Finally managed to get some of the car back together over the weekend.
Picked up the engine and gearbox (different shops) did the assembly and into the car Saturday, Sunday. Now it's time to sort out the oil feed and drain as well air filter arrangement and pressure pipe to the new full bay intercooler from Bell.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Another angle
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
I'm curious to see how your muffler and pipe routing goes. I was looking at Brian's first photo with the wastegate mufflers pointed forward and thinking no way that works... then I see you rotated the WGs to face rearward, but might that occupy the typical muffler location? Hard to visualize from my chair.
And just and FYI on the heat, you may wish to have your 3-way collector welded up to eliminate boost leaks getting into the heat boxes. Forewarned is forearmed, and it'll never be easier than right now.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
I expect the muffler to be above the wastegate mufflers and plan to either point the wastegate mufflers down a bit to clear the bumper, or put down turned tips on them. More and more of the tracks I run at have noise restrictions so the dump has to be relatively quiet. Currently thinking the heater boxes will remain in the basement, already put the heater delete block off plates on the engine.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
You got me thinking so checked and the muffler is comfortably above the wastegate mufflers.
A bit of reading suggests I need to come up with some sort of water system to cool the water cooled turbo .......
Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
I thought most guys just plugged the water ports in this application.

Don't take my word for it, but it has been discussed previously.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Just run engine oil through them. It is much easier and the same principal. Oil is typically 10 degree hotter than water in a water cooled engine. In an air cooled engine it is no different? I still don't know why people are stumped on this one? You would just have to raise the oil pressure by shimming the pressure piston on the bottom of the case to compensate for the additional,oil flow to the turbo. If you are running a stock oil cooler, it would be advised to run a larger cooler. I run twins but use a 935 style oil cooler in the nose and have a thermostatic controlled fan for stop and go. Oil temp actually ran too cool and had to put a higher T-stat. 15K plus, 1,100+ HP ZERO problems.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting, I have a big oil cooler in the nose and a fender cooler no oil temp issues at all. The car is a track rat so stop and go is not on the list of things to tolerated. I see the most critical issue as shut down. We run typical 30 minute sessions with a few 60 minute sessions and when you come in with only a half lap cool down everything from the driver to the brakes is hot. According to the Garrett website water cooling continues to thermally siphon after shut down to control heat soak into the bearing cartridge which led me to think about maintaining water flow for a few minutes after shut down in the paddock.

Need to read a little more ......... and thanks for the input, I think I would enjoy 1100HP!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

awesome, they work great too..... Brian, any closer to having heat boxes for mine???
Cheers
Davinder.
1988 930: 3.5L 100mm LN slipins, LN FFA rods, Supertec studs, GT3582R with T4 1.07A/R twin scroll housing, RarlyL8 equal length divided headers, dual Tial MVS 38mm WG's, Carrera 3.2 heads with 993 big valves. 964 Cams, full bay IC, KEP st1 clutch. PE3 sequential ECU with 750cc EV14 injectors, CoP twin plugs, J&S Safegaurd, Aquamist HSF3 water inj. Wavetrac LSD.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Finaly together and running, not finished but much closer.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice car!
If it's still too loud a couple small turn down pipes can be added the the waste gate mufflers.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: