Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I would take it over my cobalt

BLASPHEMER!

Quote:
Just realized the last post was in 2013 not sure why I received an email blast saying someone responded. Either way what I said is correct.
Not the part quoted! Say it ain't so!!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
BLASPHEMER!

Not the part quoted! Say it ain't so!!
I know it is hard to believe I would say such things but the paint on the America GS is just amazing. The depth and color work so perfectly on a widebody. It is a BASF paint color and apparently it can no longer be replicated
Old 11-04-2016, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
I know it is hard to believe I would say such things but the paint on the America GS is just amazing. The depth and color work so perfectly on a widebody. It is a BASF paint color and apparently it can no longer be replicated
You can't possibly mean that perlglanz puke green can you? What color blue is that RS? And in my experience, ANY color is reproducable, if you want to work hard enough.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
You can't possibly mean that perlglanz puke green can you? What color blue is that RS? And in my experience, ANY color is reproducable, if you want to work hard enough.
LOL

God no I am talking about his America GS. A one off color.

I spend a lot of time in paint shops and I have never seen a paint color shift like this or have such depth. It truly is unique and apparently matching this in water base is next to impossible. I agree time and money spent and you can figure something out but not so sure it will be to the extent or panel matching possible without blending.

Here is a picture of the powered sunroof hard top for the America GS cab. The black car is the last 930. This is an old picture and the photo does not do the color justice.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Personally I prefer the cobalt. If this color dances and moves as much as you say it does, I want to avoid it. I don't want to get seasick just looking at it. Funny, that perlganz green had the same affect on me, for different reasons.....

You could change your user name to something that reflects your color preferences more accurately, but I'm not sure 'That color blue that Bob has on his RS America that's a BSAF but not reproducible' is cool enough
Old 11-04-2016, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Personally I prefer the cobalt. If this color dances and moves as much as you say it does, I want to avoid it. I don't want to get seasick just looking at it. Funny, that perlganz green had the same affect on me, for different reasons.....

You could change your user name to something that reflects your color preferences more accurately, but I'm not sure 'That color blue that Bob has on his RS America that's a BSAF but not reproducible' is cool enough
No it is not an RSA it is a one of a kind America GS. Just like his turbo it is heavily optioned cab using a special racing tip transmission that will not upshift for you. It has a lot of 959 parts as well as complete custom everything. Same car as in post #5 but it has been heavily modified since and now wears a 3.8 RS bi wing.

Don't get me wrong cobalt is still my favorite factory metallic color and i don't think I could ever sell my turbo since it is one of three in the US and the only one with black interior. I only found one other after searching for 13 years in Japan with a black interior but this was a paint to sample special mix and a very rich color green. That is the problem with these special order paints they are hard to match and hard to get the color shift correct.

Last edited by Cobalt; 11-04-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-04-2016, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

I haven't read every post in this thread but I did see 480HP.
If this thing is CIS that is total BS.

i've rebuilt a bunch of CIS fuel heads, cast iron ones and aluminum lambda ones and there is no way you will get enough fuel from a CIS fuel head and CIS fuel injectors to make 480HP and still have it idle below 2000rpm.

I don't care how many Bosch 044 fuel pumps you have or how much aluminum is machined out of the fuel head around the control plunger cylinder plenum ring where fuel flows into the fine screened fuel openings in the steel control plunger cylinder to be metered by the position of the steel control plunger as it feeds fuel to the metering slits in the control plunger cylinder or how much you widen the metering slits or taper them wider towards the top or machine the orifices above the steel or rubber diaphragm leading up to the injector line banjo fittings... it's not gonna happen and still be drivable on the street.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I haven't read every post in this thread but I did see 480HP.
If this thing is CIS that is total BS.

i've rebuilt a bunch of CIS fuel heads, cast iron ones and aluminum lambda ones and there is no way you will get enough fuel from a CIS fuel head and CIS fuel injectors to make 480HP and still have it idle below 2000rpm.

I don't care how many Bosch 044 fuel pumps you have or how much aluminum is machined out of the fuel head around the control plunger cylinder plenum ring where fuel flows into the fine screened fuel openings in the steel control plunger cylinder to be metered by the position of the steel control plunger as it feeds fuel to the metering slits in the control plunger cylinder or how much you widen the metering slits or taper them wider towards the top or machine the orifices above the steel or rubber diaphragm leading up to the injector line banjo fittings... it's not gonna happen and still be drivable on the street.
it is a 3.4 from the factory IIRC and all custom parts. I have no doubt Bob is telling the truth. Don't forget these were not modified parts used but all custom made for this particular build. I am seeing 386RWHP or roughly 450BHP out of CIS in my 3.6T. I have the dyno charts to prove it and that is with mild bolt on changes.

Last edited by Cobalt; 11-04-2016 at 11:09 AM..
Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
No it is not an RSA it is a one of a kind America GS.
Oh. Well that changes your new user name
Quote:
Don't get me wrong cobalt is still my favorite factory metallic color and i don't think I could ever sell my turbo since it is one of three in the US and the only one with black interior.
I just painted mine cobalt. I want a charcoal gray interior but for now it'll be black. so there.
No, mine's not a turbo, but it's a widebody with a '75 turbo tail. And IROC bumpers. And ... uhh... no motor. Yet.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Oh. Well that changes your new user name

I just painted mine cobalt. I want a charcoal gray interior but for now it'll be black. so there.
No, mine's not a turbo, but it's a widebody with a '75 turbo tail. And IROC bumpers. And ... uhh... no motor. Yet.
You can't go wrong with Cobalt especially on a widebody. Sounds like a nice project. Something to be said about building a car to your specs. I built my 3.8RS clone wanted to paint it cobalt but decided on maritime blue. Non metallic paints are easier to deal with on a track car and cost less to paint. I did the same thing I built the car and finally sourced a motor. It ended up being a 993 varioram 3.6 with twin turbos, massive IC, low boost but fully refreshed using a 40/60 LSD in a 993 6 speed with short gear ratios. Thing pulls like a freight train and can easily gain ground on 991GT3's and turbo S's on the track. Definitely not for the faint of heart under WOT.

My 74 IROC clone was a car I should have kept. light weight using all factory parts including the fuchs alloys, bumpers and extras. The only thing it was missing was the IROC tail. It even had the oil cooler cut into the tub as they did back in the day. It had a 3.2L max moritz built motor with 270hp back in the 80's it was a rocket and would leave 930's waiting for their turbos to spool up. No doubt the torque of the turbo was no match for a N/A car and would loose ground from 60-120 but only a few car lengths.

GL with the build.

Last edited by Cobalt; 11-04-2016 at 11:08 AM..
Old 11-04-2016, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Mick, if you don't install a turbo engine in there, I'll post your car in the "BOSS Sheeper" thread!!!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
it is a 3.4 from the factory IIRC and all custom parts. I have no doubt Bob is telling the truth. I am seeing 386RWHP or roughly 450BHP out of CIS in my 3.6T. I have the dyno charts to prove it and that is with mild bolt on changes.
...and the difference between 3.4 and 3.6 liters is around 30+ horsepower on a cool day.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Bob was not the person who ordered the last pearlglanz GTS.
Interesting! Wonder why that rumor started.

As the legend goes, somebody ordered it but backed out (as noted). It then sat at Brumos' showroom IIRC. It was purchased by a gentleman for his mother who drove it briefly before realizing the car's significance. Then it changed hands and was last seen ten years ago in England, or France, somewhere in Europe..?

Yes, both his cars are indeed something special.

I guess those spare electric GS seats are never getting installed, considering his quest for lightness! Comfort seats to boot, not even sport!

How does he swap all these body panels without marring the bolt heads that have the world's rarest paint on them?

Last edited by FrenchToast; 11-04-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-04-2016, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
...and the difference between 3.4 and 3.6 liters is around 30+ horsepower on a cool day.
As I said nothing on the car is a modified factory part. It was all engineered by Porsche for this particular build. What they did to achieve these numbers would require access to the build sheets. (although the stereo took several Alpine employees over a year to design and install) The head to the CIS is not a modified 930 unit but a specific part for this car with its own part number, drawings and tooling. Custom cams, pistons, cylinders, injectors, etc etc.

There is a lot of story behind this and everything Bob said made sense. I would wager Porsche wouldn't put something in writing unless it was conservative. It is all documented and the list is endless. The options on this car makes the perglandz 928GTS seem mild. In the case of the perglanz GTS it is a stock car with a lot of fancy cosmetic modifications/upgrades. These cars are custom made one off cars which are based on the 930 and 964 but have a lot of mechanical improvements that were never incorporated into the production vehicles.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
Interesting! Wonder why that rumor started.

As the legend goes, somebody ordered it but backed out (as noted). It then sat at Brumos' showroom IIRC. It was purchased by a gentleman for his mother who drove it briefly before realizing the car's significance. Then it changed hands and was last seen ten years ago in England, or France, somewhere in Europe..?

Yes, both his cars are indeed something special.

I guess those spare electric GS seats are never getting installed, considering his quest for lightness! Comfort seats to boot, not even sport!

How does he swap all these body panels without marring the bolt heads that have the world's rarest paint on them?
I know the story Chuck Z who started the 928 registry said the same thing. IIRC he said when the person who ordered the pearlglandz GTS found out Porsche was keeping the last 928 off the production line he backed out. I believe the pearglandz GTS is the last US spec 928 but not the last 928 to be produced. I know it was not Bob but who it was I couldn't tell you. Bob never intended these cars to get so out of control it was a process and started with a simple request and morphed into these heavily modified cars.

The America GS has become a test bed for some of the most advanced Carbon Fiber and titanium components made today. That is what his business does and they design and build all sorts of parts for the military and automotive industries. Like your CF intakes on the GT3 RS's and the fuel tanks for F1 cars. IIRC the GS is down to under 1000 kg and they are working on a close to 500 hp 4 valve N/A air cooled engine that should meet smog requirements.

It is quite fascinating and the craftsmanship is second to none. Although IMO any car could have been used for this but it is his to do what he pleases with. It is quite interesting to see components like shocks and other items made from CF. They spend a fortune just to figure out how to get every ounce and fraction of an ounce out of the car and improving it as they do.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Mick, if you don't install a turbo engine in there, I'll post your car in the "BOSS Sheeper" thread!!!
No turbos. POSSIBLE supercharger. There's just no room under that '75 turbo tail for an intercooler.

What I really want is a naturally aspirated 4.0 with a billion foot-pounds of torque all the way through the curve.

I'll end up in a 3.2 to start, I bet. It all depends on how patient I can be, because anything I put in there has to be paid for and that'll take a year at least.

So flame on, pipesmoker

Last edited by Mick_D; 11-04-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Old 11-04-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
As I said nothing on the car is a modified factory part. It was all engineered by Porsche for this particular build. What they did to achieve these numbers would require access to the build sheets. (although the stereo took several Alpine employees over a year to design and install) The head to the CIS is not a modified 930 unit but a specific part for this car with its own part number, drawings and tooling. Custom cams, pistons, cylinders, injectors, etc etc.

There is a lot of story behind this and everything Bob said made sense. I would wager Porsche wouldn't put something in writing unless it was conservative. It is all documented and the list is endless. The options on this car makes the perglandz 928GTS seem mild. In the case of the perglanz GTS it is a stock car with a lot of fancy cosmetic modifications/upgrades. These cars are custom made one off cars which are based on the 930 and 964 but have a lot of mechanical improvements that were never incorporated into the production vehicles.
I concur...the Black 930 Slant is something that has to be seen in person. It has all sorts of special features with no small detail overlooked. While for some it may be over the top, it speaks volumes of what was possible back before the bean counters took over and Porsche had the balls to build special one-offs at a customers request.

Last edited by speednme1; 11-04-2016 at 05:08 PM..
Old 11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

"The head to the CIS is not a modified 930 unit but a specific part for this car with its own part number"
I say BS to that too. The part number doesn't mean anything other than a way to catalog the part.
They are either cast iron with a stiff stainless steel diaphragm or cast aluminum with a flexible rubber diaphragm.
The rest is pretty much the same other than how tight the spring tension adjusters are set for the 6 individual 3mm fuel flow adjusters next to the banjo fittings under the 4mm button head allen head screws.

"(although the stereo took several Alpine employees over a year to design and install)"
This one is even more ridiculous. A year of work on a car stereo... wow.
Are these lame bozo's working for 3 cents an hour or are they distracted teenagers if they even made it into work?
That's generic old Alpine crap there. I have the same Alpine head unit rotting away in an old BMW. It did have early error correction that would go back and reread the ones and zeros (8bit digital on/off commands) while reading the compact disc if a bump in the road and stiff shocks caused the CD player disc read stylus to jump or loose it's tracking so there would be no skip in the music being played.

Last edited by JFairman; 11-04-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Old 11-04-2016, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
There's just no room under that '75 turbo tail for an intercooler.
Wanna bet?
3.0L Turbo Carrera, runs both factory wing and ducktail.

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-04-2016, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Wanna bet?
3.0L Turbo Carrera, runs both factory wing and ducktail.

Worthy upgrade for those 76-77 Carrera Turbos....plus brake calipers...

Old 11-04-2016, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: