Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Cone filters wanted

Hey guys-
I'm getting ready to send my WUR off to BL - and in the process of removing it I've come to realize how much of a PITA it is to get to the WUR on a 964 Turbo - due to the AC system - the AC lines run from the compresor and up and over/across the entire steel air cleaner assembly holding it hostage - so you have to remove the AC compressor - PITA!! Disassembling and reassembling all this for each little tweak of the WUR does NOT sound fun.

So thanks to a suggestion by 911nut I'm on the hunt for a used/cheap cone filter setup for the intake and breathers to use while I tune the WUR. Then once it is dialed in I will go back to the normal/OE air cleaner assembly.

I searched and found the K&N model is RU-5163 for the fuel head - but no luck finding part numbers for the breather ones - anybody knows?

Anybody have some of these laying around they want to sell cheap?

Thanks!

Denver, CO
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Brandon, have a look here:
K&N - JEGS High Performance
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For the little breather type filters most local auto part stores have those. Not always K&N but cheaper chinese ones for the ricer crowd in different colors.
Some like APC use a nice stainless steel mesh instead of fabric gauze under a screen.

They will work fine for breather and gas tank vent filters and you should put them on the end of a hose going through and under the engine tin so you won't be breathing the nasty vapors from them that can migrate into the cabin from the engine compartment.
Especially if you turn on the heat in cold weather because thats air sucked in through the engine fan going through the heat exchangers and then into the cabin.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I have an ru-5163 that you buy from me, I couldn't get it to fit and I didn't want to cut it so i am sticking with the factory monstrosity.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 05-12-2013, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

For the breather lines,I measured the ID of the hoses, looked up breather filters on the k&n website with the closest ODs, and ordered them on Amazon. No problems. Built some brackets to mount them and look tidy.

x: 62 356, 64 356, 76 930, 84 911 Targa, 85 ROW 911, 00 996, 07 Cayman S.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks guys - I bought some a while back - and should be taking them back off this week - anticipating my WUR tuning to be complete. Woot woot. I'm not a fan of the extra whooshing and hissing from cone filters so I'm looking forward to getting the OE air cleaner back on....
Denver, CO
Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo ride View Post
Thanks guys - I bought some a while back - and should be taking them back off this week - anticipating my WUR tuning to be complete. Woot woot. I'm not a fan of the extra whooshing and hissing from cone filters so I'm looking forward to getting the OE air cleaner back on....
I didn't think I would ever read that on a turbo forum!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Originally Posted by roger's 2937
O.K., here's what I installed:

Throttle Body(5")-K&N # RU-5163
Oil Tank(1") - " # 62-1170
" " (1/2") - " # 62-1140
" Collection Container(3/4")-K&N #62-1160

The filters are clamped to the 2 Oil Tank Hoses and are tie wrapped to the injector lines in such a manner that they are very solid and the Container filter is tie wrapped to the I/C up-tube. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
how fine are you grinding your coffee? sorry couldn't resist.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I didn't think I would ever read that on a turbo forum!
To each his own for sure :-)

I like _engine_ sounds. All that whooshing and hissing sounds like the fart can Hondas bouncing down the street. That said these cars, with the cone filter, are not as bad as others where all the intake noise totally drowns out the actual sound of the engine/exhaust...

:-)

Denver, CO
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: