Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Holy crap what have I done?

I've got myself into so many projects that I'm worried I'll have time to finish up before my big road trip with the wife on the 14th.
Started out with clutch, then rockers r&r. Then I had some difficult oil leaks I wanted to address. (Pully seal, flywheel seal, scavenge pump leak, turbo feed/drain, triangle issues etc....)
Then I added a egt gauge and boost controller. Which I needed to remove the seats and carpet to properly route hose and probe line even through the tunnel. Removed my lower dash in prep to add a 964 lower dash(rethinking). New red carpet will arrive soon as well. Augh!!!!!!
So my car is in pieces and the rockers are on the way back tomorrow!
Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 02-11-2013 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
...I had to remove a collar I put on to fix the nose bearing gasket before. Didn't work.
Well, we can see...

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
That is not a pretty picture, but my vote is, the seal will leak
2012 987 Cayman S Black Edition #110
1996 993tt Arena Red (Sold)
1996 993tt Black (Lost it in a bluff game)
1975 911 Hardtop Targa(sold)
1971 911T Coupe (Sold)

Last edited by gruppe75; 01-23-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

+1
Hate to have to remove everything again to replace the seal if it leaks.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry to deliver the bad news as well but by the looks of that I say it will leak. You are a brave man takeing all that on before a big trip. I feel it is doable so I will be watching. Keep us posted with pics and Good Luck hope all goes smooth from here.
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You didn't need us to confirm what you already knew...
By United States Marines.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

I think you just need to add more JBWeld!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I think you just need to add more JBWeld!
Be nice!
I know, I'm getting a new one today. But the last one went in the same way. Why can't I press this in without squiching this part of the seal out? Last time I used the green curel t stuff. I thought thats why it was bad but this time it was dry-ish and still same result. Before I do it again tomorrow how do I do it?
I used a round little thing and a mallet.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
BTW I realize this picture is ridiculous! And the fact it looks like this is embarrassing. But I need help. I will clean it up and try and get rid of the jb weld as much as I can without ruining the area.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Can't find this part, 99970143540 NLA. Mine is too thin, anyone think liqued gasket rtv would do ok? I'm going to have no choice I think.
It's the o-ring inside the scavange pump. anyone else seen this part leak?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Can't find this part, 99970143540 NLA. Mine is too thin, anyone think liqued gasket rtv would do ok? I'm going to have no choice I think.
It's the o-ring inside the scavange pump. anyone else seen this part leak?
Here are the two scavange pump seals listed in the PET (pgs 63-64) -

Pelican Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW

Pelican Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Wow, shocking! I could not find it even with the sales guy at pelican. I was about to order an o-ring 47x2 from an o-ring supplier.
Thanks soo much.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

"Holy crap what have I done?"

geeez, I donno...
Looks like you got mad at it or something.

I would say you should stop now and take it to a mechanic before you butcher it any farther...

ummm...
good luck with it.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Is that photo of the seal behind the fan belt pulley?
If this is so:

The good news: IT IS REPAIRABLE!

THE BAD NEWS: Gotta split the case and replace the no. 8 main bearing.

You will have no joy unless you do it correctly, replace the no. 8 main bearing and associated O-ring and seals.

Otherwise you are in for an eternity of leaks from that seal, and it wont get better.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but "facts is facts".

John
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
So tonight I finally got to do some things. I really have most everything to finish up and now just need time. Well the rockers look nice. Cgarr did nice work on them.
I reinstalled new rsr o rings on the shafts and so far they're going in much easier than the last time, none are shearing off. I must have had a bad batch or something last time. The shafts are tightening much easier than last time as well. What could be different I just don't know?
I reinstalled the new crank pully seal (again) and this time really wasn't much different. I got it in with less of the squeezing out at the top like the picture but still some. Not as bad. I think I have an anamoly there because I'm not stupid even though my kids think the're smarter than me.
I resaeled the scavange pump with new seal and o-ring inside. I used a new gasket on the cam tower and used curel-T on the paper this time instead or 574. My leak there was the inside o-ring though so with that and some gasket maker smeared on it I think I'm dry there too.
On to the nose bearing.....I ordered another collar from Tom Ammon, I still think there is something to it. This time, I'm going to clean it really good with brake cleaner or something under a little pressure into the crack where the nose bearing and case seperate and then make a bead of oil resistant rtv gasket maker and put the new collar on again. This time I'll finish it off nice and clean. If it leaks again, I'll just try something else. I won't split this case for a few years.
I'll seal this leak though. I'll show you Johnny Boy, You think I don't know what I'm up against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Is that photo of the seal behind the fan belt pulley?
If this is so:

The good news: IT IS REPAIRABLE!

THE BAD NEWS: Gotta split the case and replace the no. 8 main bearing.

You will have no joy unless you do it correctly, replace the no. 8 main bearing and associated O-ring and seals.

Otherwise you are in for an eternity of leaks from that seal, and it wont get better.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but "facts is facts".

John
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Go here.
Tom Amon showed up at my house with new gadget!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Dude, if you looked you'd see I posted there three times. I know and understand. Thanks though. I'm not splitting it.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Man, did that get chewed up! Was it from the pulley coming loose? As for the collar repair I suggest to use Toyota oil pan gasket sealant instead of RTV sealant. Let it dry 24 hrs before you add oil. The only problem is when it's time to split the case it will be a bear to remove the collar.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
Man, did that get chewed up! Was it from the pulley coming loose? As for the collar repair I suggest to use Toyota oil pan gasket sealant instead of RTV sealant. Let it dry 24 hrs before you add oil. The only problem is when it's time to split the case it will be a bear to remove the collar.
Hey man thanks for that info! I love constructive help.I'll get some.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
It was from pulling the old collar off. I over used the jb weld. It's cleaner now. Now though, I'm using this

Any pointers to using this? Says it's to be assembled within 15 minutes. So I'll apply this with some aspplication to the seem under as much pressure as I can and then assemble the collar on top of that, then later, I'll add a small amount of jb weld to that seem area. Hope it holds the pressure and oil in!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: