Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wer bremst verliert

Uncle,
If you dont have the ECU yet can I suggest Adaptronic. Andy is the founder and lives in Sydney. He's a great guy and I've had years of experience of him personally taking care of tuning on a number of cars.

John
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Bad LT

Adaptronic make a great product but it's twice the price I can get the Haltech for. Another thing for me to consider is the tuner I'll use is also a Haltech dealer so I know he can do it all with his eyes closed.
My sprint 500 with loom will come in at well under 1k..
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Sounds reasonable.

Watch those Haltech ignitors. I had 3 go bad on me, by Haltech's own admission.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Bad LT

Well its about time I did an update...
Thanks lads to the lads at Dzug for this nice new 935 pulley

I got a good deal from Dale at Castle Hill exhaust so I picked up a cheap ECU to look after things.

My next job was to modify the 3ltr inlet manifold insulators to for the Weber's to work with the 3.2ltr EFI manifold I was planning to run.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Bad LT

Next job was to clean up the 3.2ltr manifold and give it a nice coat of wrinkle Black paint.

Test fit.

The new turbo fitted up.

Along with the wastegate.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Bad LT

Dish wheels that I just got the new outer barrels for. Next is to powdercoat them black

Fuel reg tucked away and working on LS1 coil mount locations.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Bad LT

Now where was I?

Ahh fitting the 935 Pulley..

Out with the old.

In with the new.

New was to get rid of the Dizzy. Here is a before.

After.

[hr]
044 and swirl pot mounted up the front next to the tank.

Intercooler mounts made and cooler mounted up. I'll get some new new bends once I have it running again along with giving everything a good clean.

Catch can for the oil system and that brings us about up to date with progress so far.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Bad LT

Next I remade some stuff that was annoying me like the oil return set up and the non German beer catch can..

Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
Next I remade some stuff that was annoying me like the oil return set up and the non German beer catch can..

Uncle,
I echo everyone else's kudos, and have some questions that I can learn from:

1) I'm interested how you mounted your scavenger pump for the turbo. You have a bar attached to the right body, to which the pump is strapped. It looks like you might have the opposite end attached to the engine? Surely not --- but if the two ends of the bar are not attached, do you get a lot of shake (thinking that the shake will be amplified at the end of a stick -- physics thing)?

2) I want a catch can like that. Not being familiar with that brand of German beer, is the can flimsy aluminum (like our US beers), or is it a robust steel can?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Bad LT

I haven't quite finished the mount yet. I plan to triangulate the mount off either the engine carrier or the chassis rail and remove the other end if that make sense. Your right in needing to isolate the harmonics. Either way I need to keep the pump around that location to make room for a muffler and keep some fall for the pump. I am not sure how well these pumps self prime if I was to raise it higher than the drip tank.

Can is made out of light weight steel. Should last a while.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Bad LT

Oh I should also add I have billet mounts and RSR bar (if you missed that bit) so that part of the carrier see's little movement. Thinking about it the "L" bracket might act as a nice damper on the "C" channel after I do fit a down spar from the top of the carrier.

Hmm.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Got it.
Appreciate final pics. The "fall" of the pump also concerns me on my project. Have worries that mounting the Werx pump up high will result in poor oil movement -- and too low will result in getting scraped on the ground at some point.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Bad LT

And remade with added brace..

I also moved the intake filter. I'll either make a box for it here or cut a hole in the inner wheel arch and run it back into the engine bay.

Last edited by Uncle; 05-16-2013 at 04:15 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Bad LT

Anyways more work has gone on.
Fitted dry sump tank breather cap.

Cut 930 size hole in the deck lid then make up some extra spars to stiffen it up a little. Intercoolers make for good beer stands.

Looking at the spars they will make for a great place to run some water/meth sprayers later on.

Oil pump bracket V2.1

Pulled the turbo off and fitted rear engine tin with a new hole for intercooler pipe. While it was out I pulled the cold side housing clip off and rotated it so the oil drain is not 100% vertical rather than the slight tilt it was on.

Last edited by Uncle; 05-16-2013 at 04:20 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Bad LT

Double post.

Last edited by Uncle; 05-16-2013 at 04:20 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

thanks for the pics of the scavenge oil pump mount.
Also, I like the way that air cleaner is tucked away from engine heat -- and makes engine compartment less crowded.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

subd-
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Uncle,
Uh, I guess I'm still thick despite your previous answers to my questions, which I thought I understood...

Per the pics, it does look like the right end of your pump support bracket is attached to an L-bracket that attaches to the right body (a rigid structure), and the left end of the support bracket attaches to the engine casing (which will shake a lot).

Is this correct?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Bad LT

While it has got some shake to it there is not a lot. I've got billet engine mounts and an RSR rear engine bar so that back end has very little flex. Inside the car is a 6 point factory RS Matter roll cage that also takes a heap of flex out of the chassis.
To take the vibs out I also have the pump brackets all mounted on some 2mm hard rubber washers.
The L bracket is not doing much other than acting as a damper. The C channel provides all the support for the pump. I could in fact take the L bracket out all together but its not going to hurt to leave it there and the weight of it is only a few grams. You will also note the slight gap between the C channel and the L bracket. It should leave enough of a gap should any flex need to happen.

It did also cross my mind that this my help with pump noise transfer into the cabin. Mounting it onto the body has to increase noise as per Gav's thread. I guess we will see. If I hate it I'll get a 5R pump and move this pump to gearbox cooling duties.

I'll run it for a week and see how it's going.

Last edited by Uncle; 05-16-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
While it has got some shake to it there is not a lot. I've got billet engine mounts and an RSR rear engine bar so that back end has very little flex. Inside the car is a 6 point factory RS Matter roll cage that also takes a heap of flex out of the chassis.
To take the vibs out I also have the pump brackets all mounted on some 2mm hard rubber washers.

Oh, now i get it (again) -- solid engine mounts and rigid frame -- plus rubber isolators.
I have been hearing quite a bit about scavenger pump noise. There even was a post where they removed the pump because it was far too loud (louder than the exhaust, as I recall they said).
Thanks for the great feedback. Keep updates rolling.

Last edited by baloo; 05-17-2013 at 05:33 AM..
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: