Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bad LT

Yeah cool. Don't be afraid to ask questions any time though. I am by far an expert but I do have a bit of a clue.
I hope to get the car off the stands and rolling again this weekend. Monday should be first start with base map.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Bad LT

Yeah cool. Don't be afraid to ask questions any time though. I am by far an expert but I do have a bit of a clue.
I hope to get the car off the stands and rolling again this weekend. Monday should be first start with base map.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Bad LT

Progress has been made..

Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Looks more like drinking than progress.
I like both.

Looking good mate.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Bad LT

Its better now

Click to play...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vas930 View Post
Looks more like drinking than progress.
Yah, since that beer can is featured quite often, I was thinking it was a new "alcohol injection" system. I wanted to know where to get one, and how to plumb it in.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Bad LT

It's thought provoking...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Uncle, where are you returning the oil from the turbo too? And have you had the car out and running on boost to see if your oil return setup is working ok?

My feed to the tank breather has failed after the 3rd design now
Found aprox 300ml of coffee coloured oil in my catch can today. There must be some serious back pressure forcing oil back up or a massive amount of vapour that's collecting in the can and cooling, hence the coffee colour.

Not sure what I'm going to do now! I take it the oil tank has to be able to breath otherwise I could just connect to the tank with no prevision for a breather.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Bad LT

I have it returning to the tank via the factory breather pipe but have fitted a K&N filter to the tank rather than the steel cap.
The other breather remains running to the manifold. As seen here..

To be honest I've not had it running long enough to check the flow rate. I was planning on doing that in the next few days.
On the return pump. I've found mine to be not that loud.

Last edited by Uncle; 05-26-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Looks great with tasteful additions. Can't wait to hear the results and impressions.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Bad LT

Cheers Tippy. Not expecting big power but it should go a little better than when it had Weber's.
Damn 915 5speed has me holding back.

Last edited by Uncle; 05-26-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I believe I read that a 915 will take around 400 hp as long as you don't mash on it in 1st or have a super laggy turbo like I have.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I believe I read that a 915 will take around 400 hp as long as you don't mash on it in 1st or have a super laggy turbo like I have.
No.
Couple months ago I broke second gear. I have 3.0turbo 930 engine with sc cams, gt30r turbo, andial Intercooler, .8bar boost. I'd say I have up to 350hp this is the limit this 915 can take with turbo 6cylinders. Actually it's the torque so you could be right if you can make a 400hp engine less than 350lb ft torque. And it's still not that simple. Experts have said that if you can make your engine mke it's power over 5k rpm then it can do more. It's quick boost onset and high torque that eats a 915.
Limited slip and some other strengthening goodies will help, but not make first and second gears stronger. Best bet is 930 trans or g50. Sorry.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 05-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Bad LT

Yeah Quattro has it.

Anyway from today..
Some good some less good. Got the car to the shop just before lunch so Dave and Chris put the car up on the hoist and we had a chat about how I wanted to run the exhaust. I my brief was well, brief. Just chuck a 3" resonator off the back of the turbo and bring the pipe out the back of the bumper enough so it wont catch on fire. Then run the wastegate pipe out the other side and bring it out enough so the bumper wont catch fire.

After that was done we put the car on the dyno then Dale and I ran over my work one last time to make sure I had not missed anything and everything was apples. As it turns out the port I'd used for vacuum signal to the ECU was not providing enough so I grabbed some hose I'd brought with me and made good. Next was resetting the throttle butterfly. I'd had to remake the pull rod from the bell crank to the main linkage under the car. As it happens this was just holding it open. So a quick adjustment and all was right.
Next we checked my trigger point and the timing. I'd set it up off TDC (top dead centre) of number one but didn't have a timing light to check it. As it happens I was bang on with that and the tooth count back to the sensor. Go me! I can count!

So we start the car and Dale has a play with the tune. As per my earlier post on how it works. But here is where things get a little pair shaped. Free rev it and it awesome. The turbo makes a lovely whistle and the BOV has a nice clean vent. But once the engine is under load and at around 3,000 rpm we where getting random misfires. So we shut it down and checked the connection between the plugs and the leads. Yep all good fire it up free rev and fine load it up and miss fire again. At this point we had a fair idea what was going on. So I pulled a lead off and Dale got out the multi-meter.

A good lead for an EFI motor should have ~430 ohm's resistance. My lead had over 1.1k ohm's resistance. Not good news. At this juncture we new it was game over for the day until I got new leads so we cut the end off one to check it out. Just as we thought the leads are not spiral wound but single core leads. To put it simply the leads are putting out massive amounts of electrical interference and messing up the signal from the crank angle sensor and also showering the ECU with noise.
They are fine for my old single coil M&W ignition that's getting its signal to fire from the chopper wheel in the dizzy but once you are sending huge amounts of spark from the LS1 coils they just cant suppress the signal enough. It only cost me $58 to get the LS1 plugs put on them so can live with that.

Ah well stuff happens and really it's very very small beans of things to go wrong next to the amount of changes I've made. Dale will make up some new leads on Monday and plans to tune the car either Monday or Tuesday depending on the workload he has. That being the case I've left the car with him to do the job. Its going to be a little odd not doing anything to the 911 over the weekend.
Maybe I'll just clean the shed up a bit.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

you can book a flight and come help me! I'll be plugging away on my project most of the weekend
Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Bad LT

LOL you pay for the flight and I'll come over and give you a hand.

In other news I did a little cleaning of the rear bar and put some insulation on the bar next to the turbo.

Reason was so I could put some heatproof insulation on the inside of the bumper that sits next to the turbo.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Couple months ago I broke second gear. I have 3.0turbo 930 engine with sc cams, gt30r turbo, andial Intercooler, .8bar boost.
That makes sense in your case because you have the quickest spooling turbo on the planet! Not a triple K where the data and statement is from.

Last edited by Tippy; 06-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:

Couple months ago I broke second gear. I have 3.0turbo 930 engine with sc cams, gt30r turbo, andial Intercooler, .8bar boost.

That makes sense in your case because you have the quickest spooling turbo on the planet! Not a triple K where the data abd starement is from.
I don't want anyone to have the idea it's super fast spooling. It's a good turbo but not sure how much better than a k27 it is. I have boost begin to build by 1900rpm and full boost by 3000-3100 rpm.
There is another gt30r that's smaller and would be silly quick spooling. Mine is the gt3076. There is also a gt3071 that's smaller. Than mine.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 06-01-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Hmm, interesting.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Garrett turbos don't spool significantly quicker than a K27. We've tuned engines using a K27 that reached full boost by 2600rpm. The red rocket hit 1bar at 2700rpm and threshold at 1600rpm. I think the laggy reputation of the K27 comes from being compared to engines having many more modifications than just a turbo swap. Stick a K27 in that modified engine and it will compete nicely... and continue on for 100'000 miles.

The 915 can take ~350 ft/lb to the wheels IF you don't beat on it. My last one was rebuilt with WEVO gear and held up well. Let the turbo do the work, not the clutch.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: