Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
Righty.......
...I have contacted TurboWerx regarding there range of scavenger pumps.
... this is there reply :

Any of our pumps (Base-Model, Exa-Pump, or Exa-pump Mini) will function perfectly in this application
We are a huge fan of forums - especially the Pelican Parts forum. We are open to special-pricing for group-buys if one is ever organized. Let us know how we can help. Thanks.
Anyone interested in organizing a list for a group buy?
I already have one of their full size pumps, waiting to be installed. However, I'll add my name to the list and buy another if a group buy is organized.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Bad LT

Could be in. Although if I was going to change I'd look at a 5R pump too. Then I could use the pump I have for my next project of a trans cooler.

I can't see youtube from work but I'll have a look when I get home.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Bad LT

I've been flat out working on other stuff and have not had a chance to get a photo of the latest set up so I knocked up this quick MS paint of how it looks now using an old phone photo of V1.0
In short it's close to V1.0 but with a -10AN breather line out of the 1ltr sump.
I've turned the core of the turbo so the drain line is pointing towards the ground and has a nice fall to the sump. I've moved the sump up close to the same level as the pump and dropped the pump a little so its not pulling up hill at all.
To test it I started the car and feed line that runs to the main tank I fed into a clear bottle. Seems to have a nice solid flow with no air in it. The other plus of the bigger sump is that any oil in the feed to the turbo after the engine is shut down just drains away ready to be picked up on start up.
The breather works well and stops any air needing to be moved by the pump back to the main tank. I've also kept it up high so any oil fumes that build up and then cool down again can drain back to the tank.
Again as I said in an earlier post once I am happy with how it works I'll make a better looking set up.

In other news and what has kept me flat out is I've sorted my not so random misfire. The sparky and I more or less pulled apart the whole EFI system looking for problems and cleaned everything as we where going. I also got rid of the lazy injector I had for a new replacement. Then I put it all back together with care and left it till yesterday to start up while I was on the phone with the guys from Haltech. Wouldn't you know it the damn thing was running like clock work! Anyway I plan to take it for a bit of a shake down run this afternoon with the data logger on so if anything happens I will have a record of it to email them.

Fear my awesome MS paint skills!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Nice project!

Two thoughts:

Is there still enough room for the muffler and if so, it looks like a really hot environment for pump and tank

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Bad LT

Hey Roland.
Yeah it has a muffler on it now but to be honest it's not doing a lot its more for illustration purposes lol.

Pump is now mounted further away than in that photo and the tank is in the under car air flow. Should be fine and after I am 100% I am keep a set up I'll insulate it.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Bad LT

It's been a while since I updated this thread so I'll give it a shot.

I was due to do the valves on my 3ltr so being the lazy man that I am I pulled the motor and box out to give everything the once over..
My Co workers.

Gave it a quick wash.

While I was there I wanted to make a better set up for the oil return. I had it running into the dry sump tank and but never really like it that way. So I knocked this up.

Next was a new oil drip tank with a restricted breather pipe that I may or may not keep. As it happens I dumped the breather and fitted an oil check valve in the line going up to the pump. After some driving it seems to be jus the ticket.

According to my brain I need to really think whilst I check how tight the inlet manifold nuts are?

Next was adjusting the valves.It looks like this but with more doing of things and a 2nd person.

I also busted out the file on the wrinkle coat. You can't even see it under the new intercooler but I know its there lol.

70's hot rod stance.

Last edited by Uncle; 10-13-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

I so should have done wrinkle paint on valve covers and intake, that looks so sweet!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Bad LT

So the new intercooler. I always had the plan in my head that the little cooer would do to get the car running and later on I would do something better. Well after driving the car for all or 15 minutes I got it back in the shed and made a start.

I'll have to do some cutting of tanks and flipping them around but once done I'll end up with some nice short pipes and a good fit.

I've been flat out with work and my little bloke of late so not had much seat time but I can say I'm very happy with how the car drives. It is exactly how I wanted it to feel. That's to say it feels like an N/A car but with a lot more punch.

Shakedown seat time and tuning will happen over the next few weeks but no real rush as I have a mates car in the shed we are getting ready for his first race meet. Nothing big just service,new clutch and some bolt in upgrades.

So until we get that knocked over it will again lurk in the shadows waiting...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Bad LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I so should have done wrinkle paint on valve covers and intake, that looks so sweet!
Yeah next time I have it out I'm going to do the valve covers. Right now that are just painted Black. They look very neat but the wrinkle coat will tie it in better. I did the intake ages ago. All in good time. I've got dropping the motor out down to under an hour now so it's no big deal lol.

Last edited by Uncle; 10-13-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Very impressive job you've done with that 3.0.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
One of the great DIYs Uncle.
Great work, the whole thing is looking awesome.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Bad LT

Thanks blokes.

Vas! Your 930 is sold??? What the? How did that happen?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Bad LT

Just found a couple of other photo's of "Stuff" I've done.
Clearly the Jack Olsen type photo had to be take after the first drop..

I had a few problems with the crank trigger voltage output that had everyone even Haltech scratching their heads. As it turned out we had two problems. 1 was a very ever so slightly loose pin in the loom side of the ECU plug moving less than 1mm but enough to cut spark and the other was too much voltage from the crank angle sensor. IE 1.25v@1,000rpm once we bumped it back to 0.68v@1,000RPM it was apples.

Gave the bumper some heat proof tape. Though I think I might end up slotting it to let the heat out like RUF did on some cars.

Last edited by Uncle; 10-13-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Aw man, you were lucky catching the loose ECU pin! Electrical can drive you batty....

Helluva find!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
I really like the intake manifold! Looks absolutely superb!
'78 911 SC 2.5ss twin-turbo
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Its looking good You'll have to get some video when you get the chance to take it our again.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Bad LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Aw man, you were lucky catching the loose ECU pin! Electrical can drive you batty....

Helluva find!
You'll laugh at this story. I'd been trying to get a mate over who has an automotive oscilloscope to help me find the miss. His is always a super busy guy so getting his time is never easy. Anyway after chatting to him on the phone we both agree it has to be a crank trigger voltage problem but I need a scope to be able to really work it out. So we sort out a time for him to come over one afternoon and I get the guy who did the loom to also come over for a look. Anyway I have a longish drive leading up to my shed. We are already looking at the car as he walks up. He is turning the scope on as he get to the shed and hooks it up as he says hi. I hit the key within 15 seconds of him being there and the damn car starts straight up and purs like a kitten. He just looks up at me with a dead pan face and says "There I fixed it" and starts to walk out...
We laugh but as he pulls the scope off it starts running with an ever so slight misfire. Fast forward an hour or so and we work out he had one of his knuckels pressed against the wire with the loose pin!
Just one of those things. But man it did my head in for weeks!
Sorting out the perfect crank trigger voltage was a bit of playing around but not that hard. Just some trial and error over an afternoon beer with the laptop,air gap and a couple of sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
I really like the intake manifold! Looks absolutely superb!
Thanks man.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Good to hear.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Bad LT

It has become clear my next job needs to be brakes..
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Whats happened to the original wheels? are they gunna go back on?
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: