Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone tried adjusting it on a dyno with the afr sensor? That's what I'm going to do when the build is completed (2 weeks).

Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thirty View Post
has anyone tried adjusting it on a dyno with the afr sensor? That's what i'm going to do when the build is completed (2 weeks).
+10

x: 62 356, 64 356, 76 930, 84 911 Targa, 85 ROW 911, 00 996, 07 Cayman S.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

IMO - A dyno sounds good in theory - but man that's a lot of hours considering you make an adjustment and then see how it holds, take off the intercooler and tweak the WUR. Then rinse and repeat. A bunch of times. It's not like tuning Motronic or a standalone system where you plug in your laptop and just change numbers in a field to tune different parameters...and presto instant changes.

But I'm no expert (yet :-)
Denver, CO
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Brandon,

Looks like i have more of a larger problem. Once i set my pressures and then drive the car and i do a heavy acceleration and return to idle my AFR's drop down to 11 AFR. My AFR on Boost is low 10's.
I fitted the pressure gauges to the WUR and started the engine. At idle i had 13.6 AFR and my warm pressure setting was 3.8 bar. Perfect set up.
i then revved the engine and when it came back to idle the AFR was back down to 11-12 AFR. I noticed on my pressures gauges at the WUR that the fuel pressure was fluctuating by about 0.3 bar. With the air filter removed i found that the mass airflow plate was vibrating. If i touched the plate to stabilise it the fuel pressure stopped fluctuating and the AFR's returned to 13.6. So every time i rev the engine it appears that the mass airflow plate is not dampening causing my issue.
It looks like i have to have the fuel distributor overhauled as there is no dampening of the mass airflow plate. This will also give a rich condition when on boost as the airflow plate will be vibrating.
Hope you have better luck than me.
Cheers
TIM
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Interesting find.

What would cause the plate ot vibrate and what mechanism does the CIS use to self dampen out the vibrations.

Is it possible dirt inside the unit is causing stiction in the metering plunger?

Keep us posted.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Fred,
I am not sure what is causing it. I have reviewed the manual for the adjustment of the Air flow metering plate and my plate sits slightly high with fuel pumps off but when the fuel pumps are on it raises quite high (5mm) I do not understand why the plate moves when fuel pumps are switched on as the plate and metering head are not physically connected. I will have to ask this question seperately on the forum.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Brandon,

As the original poster have you had any luck yet with your adjustments?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Man I wish I could help with your issue Tim - that one sounds funky - my logic tells me fuel pump/elec issue - changing output from pump(s). But I'm usually wrong. :-)

I'm really close. Idle is set - ~13.7, cruise it set ~14.5 , Full boost adjustment is maxed out a little richer than I want - high 10's low 11's. This weekend I'll finalize cold starts.

My only remaining questions are:
1. what to do, if anything , about the full boost mixture being a little rich despite tapping it all the way in.
2. When I re-connect the air pump will it screw things up because it pumps raw air in before the 02 sensor? Granted on 964T it is temporary then it gets re-routed to he cat after a few minutes - so AFR meter value will be way off but by then I won't care....
Denver, CO

Last edited by turbo ride; 05-10-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Tim -
What about the accumulator - isn't it supposed to even out pressure or something like that?
Denver, CO
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo ride View Post
IMO - A dyno sounds good in theory - but man that's a lot of hours considering you make an adjustment and then see how it holds, take off the intercooler and tweak the WUR. Then rinse and repeat. A bunch of times. It's not like tuning Motronic or a standalone system where you plug in your laptop and just change numbers in a field to tune different parameters...and presto instant changes.

But I'm no expert (yet :-)
It shouldn't be that difficult, the car is on the dyno, you can run it as much as you need and make the necessary adjustments and you don't leave the building. The alternative is more time consuming, and less accurate. This is real world data, and an accurate representation of daily driving at every boost level. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: