Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another BL Adjustable WUR thread

Hey Guys-
OK I've been searching the archives to limit my questions - but still have a few.

I just got my WUR back from Brian L and am going to install it this weekend. (Just need to my wastegate back and can get the car on the road! :-)

First - car is a 1991 Turbo - only mods are a cat bypass and I will run just under 1.0 Bar of boost. That's it. No plans to do anything else.

So - questions:
I have an AFR meter - do I _need_ the fuel pressure gauges? BL said because my car is basically stock then all factory specs are to be followed - except full boost. Doesn't BL set the pressures before sending the WUR back - I understand a tweak here and there may be necessary but wouldn't the AFR meter cover that?

It looks like CO (with 3mm idle screw) should be checked first - then set all others, as any adjustments here affect the range, right? Does this usually need to be tweaked? Or is it usually fine if the car is basically stock?

Is their a preferred order of adjustments (besides CO first?)?

Any other basic helpful hints?

Thanks!!

P.S. Somebody once said you get more better answers if you have a pic so here's one :-)

Denver, CO
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brian Leask sets up the control pressure adjustments where they should be. If you have any doubts you should ask him.

From everything you say you don't need the CIS control/system pressure gauge unless you have problems but you havn't installed it yet so why worry about it.
A good wide band AFR gauge should be plenty to tune it perfect for your stock car and altitude.

The scenery looks wonderful and sooo refreshing to someone thats been in swampland south floriduh way too long...
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post

The scenery looks wonderful ...
Agreed. Where are you located?
By United States Marines.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ok all good to know - thanks - actually the car was running well before - although very rich at very cold starts - he confirmed it was quite a bit out of spec there. I made it adjustable purely due to my upcoming increase in boost - albeit not much of an increase but better safe....

Yes once you get out of the city we have some nice roads. That was taken up on the Peak to Peak Hwy.

nkowi - I'm in Park Hill a few minutes east of downtown - I think I've sent you a PM before - always looking to get to know local guys....
Denver, CO
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

nice...
You,ve got the perfect sports car for mile high altitudes. turbo boost makes up for the lesser air pressure and lower oxygen level per intake breath up there.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Let me say this for Brian...when he set up my WUR per my build, I have not had to touch the adjustments...period. I may be the exception, but the guy was pretty much right on. Other than some minor tweeking with the CO adjustment to get the idle where I wanted it, all was/is good.

If you're interested in "knowing" what the heck is going on, I would highly recommend an AFR gauge. Invaluable, and it will help you sleep at night.

Jim, you gotta get outa the land of Blue Hair's and swamp monsters. I'm so fortunate where I live to have access to desert canyon runs out my back door, or a mere 50 miles out to get into some Cascade mountain twisties if desired. That's what I love about it here...the variety it offers. But we are where we are, usually because we're married to our income producing occupations and relocation is a scarey and uncertain thing these days. There's times when I wish I lived in Indiana, if only to be closer to "The Old One" to sponge off his knowledge and attitude toward life in general. But then, I've always kinda like Naples too.
Damn...sorry....off-topic again....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
nice...
You,ve got the perfect sports car for mile high altitudes. turbo boost makes up for the lesser air pressure and lower oxygen level per intake breath up there.
Yep - we likes the turbos up here. My daily has two small ones. Haven't had a non-turbo car for a long time....and I always said if I ever got a 911 it would have to be a Turbo. Period. :-) In fact I usually like to pair the turbos with AWD due to the snow (I LOVE driving in snow) but made an exception with this car...

And Mark - yep - have an AFR gauge - but once I get the car (WUR) dialed (if not dialed in straight from Brian) I'll probably disconnect it or put it in the glovebox until I suspect somthing is amiss with the mixture....keep the cabin clean....
Denver, CO

Last edited by turbo ride; 02-13-2013 at 05:11 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok so just to confirm - other than the 3mm adjustment on the fuel head itself - none of the adjustments on the WUR affect each other, right? If I do need to dial one in - it won't affect the others, right?

Thanks again-
Denver, CO
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Gimpy:

I worked in Naples 3-4 times and it is much nicer than Indiana right now.

I'd love to have ya and my door is always open to you !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo ride View Post
Ok so just to confirm - other than the 3mm adjustment on the fuel head itself - none of the adjustments on the WUR affect each other, right? If I do need to dial one in - it won't affect the others, right?

Thanks again-
Brandon,

That's not the way mine works. Here's what I know for sure:
1. when you adjust the Warm Pressure [WP], the Boost Pressure [BP] changes the same amount and in the same direction. In other words, the difference between the WP and the BP doesn't change when you adjust the WP. Obviously, it does change when you adjust the BP.
2. I usually start with the Cold Pressure [CP], like the manual says.
3. Then, warm it up [plug in] and denote my WP and BP. ** I also note the O/S temperature.**
4. Then, make adjustments, if necessary.

5. When BL sent mine, the settings he had were WAY WAY off from what I needed!! And, it may have costed me some serious money [but that's another story].

I'm hoping you have a wideband AFR gauge [like the manual suggests] so you can dial the WUR in...

I'll try to post a picture [on Saturday] of all the settings I've had since receiving the BL-WUR 3-yrs ago. I've logged every change...

Good Luck!!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Brandon,
I would suggest you get a set of the pressure gages and take a reading of where you are currently so you have a good base point. Then you can start adjusting the WUR against the AF ratio to dial in where you need to be because in the end, that is what is important to your engine running long and strong.
If things get out of tune badly during your tuning, you can always go back to your starting point on the gages that you took initially.
I would also want to know what pressures I wound up with in the end after the tuning anyway, so thats where the pressure gages would come in handy again.
As far as tuning the WUR, Leask should have a pretty good instruction manual provided with the kit, read it over a few times to see how everything interacts before breaking out the allen keys.
However, Mooney265 pretty much nails it in his explanation above.

I would like to know if Brian Leask has some sort of chart of CIS pressure versus AF ratio that he obtained somewhere. I dont know how else he can set the pressures so close according to your engine build when he sends the unit back to you....thats the hard part.

Fred
PS: The parts for your adjustable wastegate are getting done. Still waiting on 2 components to be turned by the machine shop....I am hoping he can complete them within the next 2 weeks. It should be a nice piece when I send it out to you.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Like Fred said: get some gauges and note all of your readings before you make any adjustments. Also, get wideband functionality...

I'll get out to the car tomorrow and will take some pictures of my readings [the progression of them] over the years along with BL's initial settings...

My pressures were set WAY TOO LOW and thus caused an overly rich condition under boost - - and, it washed my rings and scratched my cylinders therefore had to get new pistons/rings and cylinders...

I thought by running rich I was helping my engine live, but, in the end - - I killed it!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Whoa Mooney, sounds like a horror story. I guess I must be the exception to the rule with BL's WUR working fine right out of the box.
My AFR's are right at 12.0 at initial full boost, then once I get to around 5000 rpm's and the solenoid opens for the boost enrichment circuit, it drops to low 11's. I figure that if I'm anywhere between 11 and 12 on boost then I'm in the safe zone....not too lean to melt holes in things and not so rich as to wash the cylinder walls.
I had him set it up with 1.0 bar boost in mind but am currently running the stock .8. If I changed her back to 1.0 I suspect my boost AFR's would raise somewhat. It seems to me that when I was running 1.0 bar the AFR's held between 11.8 - 12.2, but it's been a couple/three years since then and memories fade.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We have BL modify our WUR housings now as he does a great job of it. If your fuel system is otherwise stock then the initial pressure settings are stock with the only change being boost fuel pressure. It is only when the fuel head is modified that adjustment becomes tricky. We match the fuel head to the WUR to the expected fueling requirements of the build. Every adjustment affects the others to some degree. Go very slow and in small increments and you'll dial it in perfect.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Brian Leask sets up the control pressure adjustments where they should be.
Nope.
Mine was set super rich from Brian. It's always best to check.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Nope.
Mine was set super rich from Brian. It's always best to check.
When I said that I was referring to an unmodifed car like the origonal poster said his is.

If you have a modified fuel head and not all of them are exactly the same, longer duration higher lift cams, headers and free flow muffler, possible engine problem's and vacuum leaks and other changes from stock then it is difficult or impossible for someone like Brian or anyone else far from your car to set it up just right.

But.. if the car is stock and everything is in good working order then having Brian rebuild it and make it adjustable and have him set control pressures to stock settings it should work right out of the box from Brian just like a new one from Bosch... and most of the time that's pretty good on a stock motor.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Glad I stumbled across this thread I have a BL WUR I bought from a fellow Pelican years ago. Was planning on installing it this summer. I will be sure to pay close attention to the settings and make sure this thing is set up properly...
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

BL did my WUR for my stock engine. I installed it and the settings were spot on.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I got a WUR from Brian and it was good to go right out of the box. Stock engine (I think) except for a K27 turbo.
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
When I said that I was referring to an unmodifed car like the origonal poster said his is.

If you have a modified fuel head and not all of them are exactly the same, longer duration higher lift cams, headers and free flow muffler, possible engine problem's and vacuum leaks and other changes from stock then it is difficult or impossible for someone like Brian or anyone else far from your car to set it up just right.

But.. if the car is stock and everything is in good working order then having Brian rebuild it and make it adjustable and have him set control pressures to stock settings it should work right out of the box from Brian just like a new one from Bosch... and most of the time that's pretty good on a stock motor.
Nope.
My engine's stock. It was set so rich that it stumbled badly under boost.

Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: