Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
RarelyL8 930 headers for trade?

I'd be interested in trading my set of RarelyL8 headers straight up for a set of Fabspeed headers with someone in a warmer climate or who is experiencing boost creep with their setup and needs a better header for their power level.

I had documented my purchase and installation of them 3 years ago here on Pelican:
My RarlyL8 header install

The obvious question is why step back in terms of sound, performance and 321-stainless quality, and the answer for this owner/this car is "heat". Herein lies the reason I am offering these for sale.
This is a bone stock street car save for the 7006, 1 bar spring and headers. After three shortened seasons due to no heat, I received a set of the heat boxes. Unfortunately, the heat output is marginal here in the NorthEast. And, I can smell exhaust briefly in the cabin when I'm under full boost, due to what looks like some faint carbon tracking right at the 3-1 collector joints. None under normal driving. Brian suggested some heatwrap or insulation to seal off the heatboxes from the collector joint. I'm sure it could be done but even after that, the fact is the heat doesn't cut it. It's a good defroster but below 35*F it doesn't blunt the cold.

I've put maybe 10k on them since the installation and other than the darker color, they are as new in terms of condition and performance. The sound of the exhaust is unique in a good way and the quicker spool and top end rip with my 7006 is great.

I know this is a long shot but I thought I'd put it out there. Would also (secondarily) consider a nice half bay long-neck intercooler kit.

Feel free to post here or PM with inquires.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I never got any heater boxes? Didn't realize they were available.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Sent you a PM.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Sent a PM at 1350 Eastern today.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Looks like you are recieving some offers so I will throw my hat into the fray. I recently aquired a Prototech Intercooler that I am having TurboKraft mod for me and I will no longer be using my C2 Intercooler shown below. It will come ready to bolt on including all hoses and clamps with the exception of the 965 elbow and your choice of diverter valve. I currently run a Forge Motorsports billet unit for what it is worth. I will also throw in a factory tail shroud including the rubber seal which sits into the stainless intercooler shroud itself for optimum airflow.

let me know if you have any interest,

55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Have replied to all PMs. Several PM'd without a post here, so the order may not be what you think it is, but I will respect the sequence to the extent that the offers are apples to apples similar.

JP- nice intercooler but I need a half bay to maintain my AC decklid condenser. I recently completed a Griffith's AC overhaul and am not unwinding any of that.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Understood. Someone will get a great deal on some nice headers!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I've gone native

Good luck, the fs may offer less performance, maybe......But, the heat actually works pretty well I must admit.
GL
Welcome to try mine out one day if u want to take a ride.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Good luck, the fs may offer less performance, maybe.......
Do they?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Pm sent
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Good luck, the fs may offer less performance, maybe......But, the heat actually works pretty well I must admit.
Do you happen to know if the heat works better or about the same as the GHL's?

Just curious; the GHL's don't give out a fraction of the heat the factory H/E's do...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I just installed the heater boxes on mine and work prrrrreeeettty good, not as good as the OEM, but reasonably good considering all the plusses.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've gone native

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Thirty View Post
Do they?
Personally, I think there is zero difference (vs rarlyl8) on a street car, they work well, imo, dyno proven too.
The heat works good in my car, not as good as stock, but not too bad either.
again, the op is more than welcome to meet up and try mine...

Last edited by Tt surgeon; 02-19-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've replaced many a set of short tube headers with my tuned system. BIG difference.

None of the short tube headers put out OEM quality heat simply because they don't have the real estate to do it. The OEM exchangers have three feet of pipe in them an an acre of exchanger surface area.

Ken's headers were Gen I units as can be seen in the top photo. The tension springs are no longer used as we found them not necessary. These headers were designed strictly for performance and heater boxes were not a consideration at that time. The boxes made for Ken have gaping holes to accommodate the springs. The Gen II heater boxes do not have these holes and are much tighter tolerance. We are now on Gen III which is a vast improvement over the originals. Currently we are working through a backlog of exchangers which must be done by the batch as these are custom parts. It's been a daunting task like I never would have imagined. We have toyed with the idea of welding up boxes but I just cannot bring myself to permanently cover up those beautiful pipes.

Here's a picture of the Gen III boxes:

Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
They look nice Brian.

What are the tubing diameters in the Gen3 system.
Primaries and secondary ID?

Are these something that can be specified by the user or do you have set sizes depending on the engine build that you have worked out?

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Stock 930 is 1.5" primary 2" secondaries. System pictured has 1.63" primaries with dual waste gates. We do a lot of custom.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Damn Brian, they're looking awesome! Is there less chance of exhaust smell in the boxes on the Gen3s?
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

They look goergeous Brian.
Since gutting all the baffles and opening up the hole inside my single out driver side B&B muffler from 2.5" to 3" where the 3" tail pipe is welded on.. I get alot of boost creep from my B&B headers with it's poor flowing little 90 degree wastegate pipe as the rpms rise from around 5000rpm on up.

I wish I could afford some of your headers...
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Welcome to try mine out one day if u want to take a ride.
Thanks for the offer. I'd love to but I have no time to myself. This summer for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I just installed the heater boxes on mine and work prrrrreeeettty good, not as good as the OEM, but reasonably good considering all the plusses.
Glad to hear yours worked out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Ken's headers were Gen I units as can be seen in the top photo. The tension springs are no longer used as we found them not necessary. These headers were designed strictly for performance and heater boxes were not a consideration at that time. The boxes made for Ken have gaping holes to accommodate the springs. The Gen II heater boxes do not have these holes and are much tighter tolerance. We are now on Gen III which is a vast improvement over the originals.
Ah, yes... poor Ken! That kind of reads like it's my fault for buying your headers when I did. LOL. To be fair, I did wait three years for them but you did not charge me for the heat boxes.

I do hope to properly communicate to the next Pelicanite that might swap with me for these headers to have the facts. I don't want anyone to misunderstand the reason I'm shopping them and then get some bad karma on the board. The collector joints leak, it gets into the boxes I have (not the boxes I wish I had), and the cabin smells like exhaust under boost when the heat is on. Maybe the three way should be welded. That might do it. But the heat would always be compromised with these gaps.
Right hand side: I dremel'd off the spring hoops for clearance as advised.

Left Hand side:

Note some of the carbon soot on the box from joint:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
I've gone native

The gen 3 boxes look pretty good, but those first boxes are suboptimal.
Here are some fs boxes.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: