Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
agreed on the all original kojo - yep this is the one from Chattanooga. First un-molested, low mileage one i've found in a long time.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

The K27 will reduce the turbo lag. A larger IC will give you a cooler air charge = more hp and a safety margin against detonation. Do the turbo first, then go from there.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Nice looker turbobrian. I also purchased a mint 22k mile car back 5 years ago. Loved the car but the lag had to go. Learning from this site I did all the things in my sig to get rid of it. I don't regret it for a second, car performs much better.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

We all want more power at low revs, these things are slower than most lawnmowers before boost. I've done alot of crap to my '87 and the best thing for that is advancing the stock emission control 1987 911 turbo ignition timing from zero or whatever it is to around 12 to 15degrees before top dead center and installing an MSD boost retard box with an MSD ignition box and setting it to retard timing around 1 degree per pound of boost. Mark who posted before can tell you about it.. he has one on his '87 too.

It gives the motor what feels like around 40 more horsepower down low before boost then it did before you installed it and then when things start boosting it retards timing around 15 degreees along with the stock boost retard in the distributor retarding timing around 8-10 degrees or whatever and keeps things from blowin up.

It's a wonderful thing.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Update: 930 Wastegate Removed & Disassembled

I removed the wastegate as everyone on this thread suspected the wastegate was sticking open and so I went ahead and pulled it off and disassembled. It was the crustiest part of the engine - so worst case I just end up making the engine look nicer! The exhaust gasket connecting the wastegate to the header (the one between the waste gate valve seat and header) was somewhat blown apart (the metal sealing rings were loose) and crusty and I'm hoping this was the issue, but I'm not feeling that confident that it is.

In the inner parts of the wastegate were relatively clean and the wastegate was in the closed position upon disassembly.

The rubber diaphragm is in great shape as is the spring. The valve has some dirty spots on the shaft but doesn't look terrible and the valve / seat is black with carbon but i suspect that it was sealing.

Does anyone have literature on rebuilding this wastegate and/or a source for the parts. Is there a company out there that rebuilds these?

I'll upload some pics soon.

Thanks in advance folks.
-Brian
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

There is a gasket between the housing and exhaust piece on our waste gates, is yours in good condition like the one in this picture?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
The donut gasket between the black and silver portions looks pretty good. the gasket between the black and the exhaust header looks rough. I plan on replacing all. Plus, my unit is rusty so I plan on making her look like the one in the picture.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

PM sent. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
See this thread:

exploded view of 930 wastegate?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
We all want more power at low revs, these things are slower than most lawnmowers before boost. I've done alot of crap to my '87 and the best thing for that is advancing the stock emission control 1987 911 turbo ignition timing from zero or whatever it is to around 12 to 15degrees before top dead center and installing an MSD boost retard box with an MSD ignition box and setting it to retard timing around 1 degree per pound of boost. Mark who posted before can tell you about it.. he has one on his '87 too.

It gives the motor what feels like around 40 more horsepower down low before boost then it did before you installed it and then when things start boosting it retards timing around 15 degreees along with the stock boost retard in the distributor retarding timing around 8-10 degrees or whatever and keeps things from blowin up.

It's a wonderful thing.
Or the J&S Safeguard does precisely the same thing - and adds per-cylinder adaptive knock control for a few $$'s more. The latter can save you some big $$$'s if you get a clogged injector, tank of bad gas or the distributor jams fully-advanced (this happened to me).

I'm only running about 6 degress more timing than stock RoW - but it does make a huge difference to low-end pickup. Of course, a turbo that's making 6 PSI by 2400 helps a lot there too.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
930 boost issue

Gents,

I have an '83 930 and about a year ago put a header on it, ran great for 6-9 months. However, am now losing boost. She will run to 0.4 bar and then drop to zero very consistently. I can fully lift the throttle and she will reset and run to 0.4 again before losing ALL boost without shutting down the engine, again very consistent. If I do not fully lift, she will not reset, ie. zero boost.

I have replaced the diaphragm, but am not hopeful, as the old one looked fine and it does not sound like a wastegate issue, any ideas?

DK
87 Targa
86 944
Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Forgot to mention, when boost is lost it is always accompanied with a "whoop" or "whoosh" sound.
87 Targa
86 944
Old 05-13-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
It could be the O-ring whee your intercooler mounts to the up-pipe (pressure pipe). Could be loose or or the o-ring could be split.

Rahl
Old 05-13-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Yep. Pull the intercooler and check the o-rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2018, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! I hope it is simple as that, all the seals are only a year old, but perhaps one got pinched or simply blew out. Keep you posted!

DK
87 Targa
86 944
Old 05-13-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I put in new seals and split one within a year on track at thunder hill. I must have damaged it assembling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Derrick, thanks so much, I will check them and let you know how it turns out!

Best regards,

DK
87 Targa
86 944
Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Those O rings are consumables. I always have spares, as I have seen them age and break or I break them removing and replacing the IC to check plugs etc.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
930 boost issue

OK, all seals are good, still getting the sound (like flaps or landing gear extending on landing, but only1 second), and then all boost lost. Lift and it re-sets. New diaphragm, new seals, no change. She goes to 0.4 bar then whoop!, zero, re-set on lift.

DK
87 Targa
86 944
Old 05-19-2018, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight44 View Post
OK, all seals are good, still getting the sound (like flaps or landing gear extending on landing, but only1 second), and then all boost lost. Lift and it re-sets. New diaphragm, new seals, no change. She goes to 0.4 bar then whoop!, zero, re-set on lift.

DK
Sounds like something releasing boost pressure at a predetermined point like the wastegate opening early. Are you sure you don't have some type of boost controller between the intercooler and the wastegate? - or.....
I remember an aftermarket blowoff valve I had for a while that malfunctioned a few times causing limited boost, sounded like that.
Good luck!
1981 SC Steel Widebody, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 turbo , 930 , turbo problem