Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A Rauh Welt-ish look for my 934 tribute

Well, as Juice and myself have found out, running a 934 tribute on the street means that either your airdam takes a ton of abuse at a ride height that looks acceptable, or you crank it up "rally style" in order to avoid the inevitable damage.

Since my car isn't a clone in any sense of the word, I decided to take some liberties with the front valance. Once again, the bodywork was entrusted to my freind and master bodysmith Kevin Mentzer who sectioned the valance approximately three inches and added a rubber/composite "lip" ala Rauh Welt as well as custom fabricated screens for the oil cooler and air inlet openings. It's not for the purists, but I like it and in the end, I guess that's all that matters...

55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

JP:

Looks great and I can't wait to see it on the car !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
That's sooooo cool and its a one and only.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
beautifull work! thumbs up

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well done:-). Like the look
1986 944 Turbo
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Looks good.

It looks like the conveyor belt rubber I use on my ruf front bumper for the same reason.

I bought it at a Tractor supply Co.

I got the idea from the ULT Ruf Conv thread.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Very nice look! Also cant wait to see it mounted.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wow I love that, can't wait to see it installed.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrfan View Post
It's not for the purists, but I like it and in the end, I guess that's all that matters...
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Back around 1980 there was a company that made very nice airdamns for alot of different cars out of lightweight hand laid up fiberglass cloth with an approximately 5" wide rubber lip you could fasten to the bottom edge like yours. The exterior finish was black gel coat you could paint or leave as is.

You could get them from JC Whitney for around $80 and some other places had them too. I think the name of the company that made them started with the letter P. If it comes to me I'll edit it in later.

Anyway, I put one on a BMW 2002 I had back then and liked it alot. It went right down to about 3" from the road surface and eventually got scuffed up in the bottom middle area from inevitable road contacts and then I eventually removed the black rubber lip because it got to looking pretty ratty and faded after a few years of daily driving.

There was a difference in how it was mounted compared to yours though. It was mounted behind the bottom edge of the fiberglass airdamn with black plastic button head screws and nuts that blended in cosmetically and wouldn't rust and then there was a semi stiff but flexable strip of clear plastic that you attached or sandwiched to the back of the more flexable rubber strip. It would keep the rubber strip from bending back from wind resistance air pressure when you were going fast so less air would go under the car and would flow around the sides of the car and through the radiator instead.

I havn't seen one of those airdamns in a very long time and the company probably went out of business long ago but I was curious if I could find one with a google search and I did!
Someone has a used one for a Datsun 280Z for sale on ebay.

I saved a couple of the pictures of it so you could see how it was made. The plastic button head screws don't last forever and like most people did they were eventually replaced with stainless steel screws, washers, and nuts.

Here's the ebay pics and ebay link fwiw, and if it's wrong for me to post them I'll delete them.

Datsun 280z Front Air Dam and Lower Front Corners | eBay
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I like that .. Where did you guys get the rubber piece from? I have been thinking of doing something similar.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hey guys,
I am really relieved at how well this has been recieved. Somethimes you wonder if you pushed things a little too far. I will pick the valance up next week and get it mounted, then the car is off to TurboKraft for custom intercooler fabrication. Once it's all back together, I will try to get a photoshoot together of all the little things I have been playing with the last couple of years...

To answer a couple of questions, the dam is a conveyor type material I scored off of ebay of all places. In addition to the front dam, I am using it on a RUF type underbody spoiler that runs side to side just aft of the jack tubes. The front dam is fastened with stainless "snake eye" security bolts that match the ones used to secure the 934 flares so there is no fear of rusting.

It is interesting to note the airdam that JFairman posted and how everything old is new again. I wish I could have found one for $80.00, but with the work required on this one, I could have sourced a new turbo http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/694564-more-streetable-934-tribute-car.html
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresmd View Post
I like that .. Where did you guys get the rubber piece from? I have been thinking of doing something similar.
As I mentioned in my post above, I got the conveyer belt from Tractor Supply Co, TSC.

I used a flat piece of alu to give the bolts some more to bite into. This I got from Lowes.

Check the ultimate Ruf conversion thread in the tech section.

Looks good, does the job, it is sturdy and cheap. What more can you ask.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I've used EZ Lip from eBay with success. Not as tall as what you show above but an excellent ~2" extension for RSR and RUF style fronts.
Porsche EZ Lip Front Bumper Chin Spoiler Valance Splitter Body Kit Air Dam Trim | eBay

Last edited by pdqcarrera; 03-09-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqcarrera View Post
I've used EZ Lip from eBay with success. Not as tall as what you show above but an excellent ~2" extension for RSR and RUF style fronts.
Porsche EZ Lip Front Bumper Chin Spoiler Valance Splitter Body Kit Air Dam Trim | eBay
Wow, never knew this even existed, thanks PDQ....could've done with this on my previous GT3, was forever ripping those splitters off. Bookmarked the eBay seller.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
I too have been waiting to pull the trigger on that. Thanks for the feedback. When you say success can you elaborate? Pictures?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
looks great jp!!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

ooh! I like that look...now let's get that thing on..
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Here is a secret. The EZ Lip is just a garrage seal that you can buy from Home Depot for much less.

MD Building Products 2 in. x 16 ft. Rubber Replacement for Garage Door Bottom-03749 at The Home Depot
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

That looks great.

77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: