Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Needing help regarding Turbo S sterring wheel

Hi Guys

I have this awesome sterring wheel in my 1976 930. The horn button dont work, and there is something missing here, a ring and a spring. Can someone help me with some Pictures, so I can fix the horn button. I am also willing to buy this parts if its needed.

Thank you very much

Best Regards
Jesper

aka The Beauty and the Beast
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You will definitely need the two rings, the spring, and the screws. I did a search for these parts at the usual suppliers a while ago and came up with nothing. Maybe someone can chime in as to whether the parts from a factory four post wheel are the same and if might have better locating. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Horn slip ring -

Pelican Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW

And here are the screws that hold it down (I think - not sure) - of course you could source your own screws from somewhere else . .

Pelican Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW
Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much. I will be very happy, if someone will post a few Pictures and some measures for the rings and spring. I will manufactor the parts myself.

Thanks

Cheers
Jesper

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
Thank you so much. I will be very happy, if someone will post a few Pictures and some measures for the rings and spring. I will manufactor the parts myself.

Thanks

Cheers
Jesper
Why bother as the ring only costs $15.00?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Why bother as the ring only costs $15.00?
You got a pointe Ronnie, but the freight and tax to Denmark is most times 3 or 4 times the cost price of the part.

Does this ring fit the Turbo S steering Wheel?

Best Regards
Jesper

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My 930S wheels have two rings. One is screwed into the black metal of the wheel frame and then the spring is compressed and another ring is screwed into the first ring with some gap which allows the horn pad to pivot.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

horn

I also have a S wheel with a malfunctioning horn. Does the horn ring assembly come with the hub kit? Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Jesper, I can't see what factory parts might be missing, but I can tell that you're completely missing the Aitwe horn ring assembly itself.

Let me check my pile of boxes, I may have bought one too many repair kits.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Jesper, I can't see what factory parts might be missing, but I can tell that you're completely missing the Aitwe horn ring assembly itself.

Thats what I also need. Aitwe horn ring assembly, if Jesper's not interested I would be. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

OK, the Aitwe horn ring assembly bolts to the wheel proper with 3 screws, and it is entirely self-contained; there's two spades, one for the top and one for the bottom of the horn.

Top:

Bottom:

And here's one fitted to a spare wheel I've been meaning to list for about two years now:

Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

spuggy

I would be interested in your parts if Jesper doesn't need them. I may even take the wheel. Are the repair kits still available? Philip
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip j View Post
I also have a S wheel with a malfunctioning horn. Does the horn ring assembly come with the hub kit? Philip
Nope, both the horn assembly and the 3 special fat countersunk allen screws to bolt the wheel itself to the hub adaptor should come with the wheel (which is, BTW, an Aitwe Indianapolis, or an Aitwe Formel 360 wheel, aka a "Typ 32" or KB70111 wheel. Even people who will tell you that the one in the Porsche box is magically different admit that it has the same markings on the back - because Aitwe made them all).

I bought a few replacement horn assemblies from, if memory serves, lenkendradshop.de on Ebay.de, who also stocked the horn pads and the screws. However, that web site doesn't seem to be live any more - and I see no Aitwe parts listed on eBay - eine der größten deutschen Shopping-Websites currently.

Aitwe is owned by RAID now; it's fairly hard work to buy parts through them, as they apparently can't readily look up part #'s for their own products... So, although they tried to help, I ended up buying all the screws, horn pads, horn rings etc. elsewhere. The RAID website Tuning r.d.i. Webshop doesn't seem to list any Aitwe parts at all now...

Last edited by spuggy; 03-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Clarify wording...
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I've gone native

Fvd sells them formel repair kit.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Fvd sells them formel repair kit.
And way cheaper than I paid: FVD Brombacher Online Shop - 100498F60102 - Repair kit for formel steering wheel - INTERIOR → Tuning → Steering Wheel → Accessories
Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post

Spuggy you are my man That's exactly what I'm looking for. I will of course transfer the money to your account before you send the ring.

Thank you so much.

Best Regards
Jesper

Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Actually, I note that Pelican now carry the horn pad clip repair kit, which they never used to: Pelican Parts - Product Information: 100-498-F60-101

Pelican told me once they can supply any part from one of their suppliers, even if it isn't in the catalog - and sure enough, my WEVO 915 side-cover turned up as promised.

I bet FVD are a Pelican supplier; bet that means Pelican could supply the horn ring as well. Which makes a lot of sense for combining shipping - and the customer service as well, of course.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The link for the horn repair kit is still active although I could not order it on-line. I called the co. in Fla, and spoke with the girl. The part is still available, and has to be shipped from Germany. Philip
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
I've gone native

I might have a spare....I'll look.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I definitely have a spare... Jesper started the thread, so I think he should get first crack at it - even though he's the closest to Germany Jesper, can you check it out/your PM's and let me know what you think?

Can't have turbos running around without horns...

Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: