Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
XDI installation :)

Yay, another post.

I dropped the distributor and bought an XDi ignition kit. Trigger wheel and sensor mounted. Coils fitted to firewall. Xdi unit is to be mounted under drivers seat. Mount made.

I grounded the XDi controller unit directly to batteri and will start the search for a switched power supply tomorrow. I will drill a hole in the engine firewall just over the suspension tower for wiring and install a grommit. Too much fuzzing about using the existing holes!

I was thinking that since i took out the CDi i could use the 6 pin connector already there to steal power and tachometer (if i need that?).

Also adding a mapsensor that i can connect to one of my blocked off vacuum hoses.

Very close to getting the engine into the bay now Any help or comments much appreciated as always.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

You might take the opportunity to give it a real good degreasing and coat of paint in the engine compartment while you have everything out. You'll want to show off that motor later, and a grungy bay distracts. Makes it less fun to work in there too.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I second that motion...
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I totally agree too. However for now i`m happy to get this engine installed and started. It will be removed and the engine bay will be properly fixed up along with the engine. Just don`t have the time now
Old 03-31-2013, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
Itotally agree too. However for now i`m happy to get this engine installed and started. It will be removed and the engine bay will be properly fixed up along with the engine. Just don`t have the time now
You need to move further North, where time is given to you by the weather...

Just finish the mechanical portion of the conversion:

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
WOW. That looks stunning! I will never be able to get anything close to that. I just really want to drive my Pcar NOW!!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not to be a stick in the mud but I say clean up the engine bay also.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
WOW. That looks stunning! I will never be able to get anything close to that. I just really want to drive my Pcar NOW!!!!
Thanks.

Don't short change yourself... Until I got the car 3 years ago, I never did any mechanic but thanks to this board the sky is the limit

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 03-31-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

I am running the same set up,if you need any help just shoot me a pm.......Ben
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The 6 pin connector can be seen as two rows of 3 columns. The center column has the connection to the tach in one of the outlets. The other outlet in the center column is a voltage source. That is how I hooked up my HPX. In my system it cannot power both the tach and the digital wur. So, if you don't connect anything else you'll be ok.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Got the unit mounted and wired up Thx for the tips guys

I don`t want to make another thread but anyone know about this bolt and where it should be?

Engine going back in tomorrow and hoping for a startup
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Attempted to start her today and it went as it usually does with me. In disaster

I`ll make a list:

Fuel leak at injector on # 3. Not sure what`s going on there. Air and fuel bubbling out from the top of the screw. Seems fully tightened.

Really struggled to turn over. I was alone at first but figured later that the fan was jammed to the fan housing at the bottom so the belt barely slipped around. Need new bearings on alternator i think. anyone have partnumbers for the bearings?

No spark. Checked #1 for spark and nothing. Not sure why as it really was easy to install and i got a green light at the controller

****ty day but i`ll get a bj later so i guess that helps
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Hard to tell form the picture, but make sure the fuel line fitting is seated straight into the injector, when you tighten it and not at an angle. This won't allow the conical part of the line make a proper seal to the injector.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
It didn`t seat right and is now stopped.

Last big problem. It won`t start. It cranks fine and sounds great but doesn`t fire. Once in a while it shoot a couple of bangs and the exhaust smokes. The xdi flashing green red as it should while cranking. It has fuel. Have not checked the spark yet cause i`m alone.

I wonder if after the initial install of the xdi unit at TDC #1 i have removed the sensor and redid some wiring etc. I have no idea if it has memory on this. Could it fire wrong?

Any tips again please
Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I checked for spark and it has Now what?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Missing Air or Fuel (likely the culprit)...

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Tach Signal? VR Sensor Gap, Wires Correct Order?
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, Rarly8 Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
It has fuel so then air? Can the sensor be off 360 degrees? It sounds like it`s cranking perfectly with lots of energy (if that`s a thing) but just doesn`t fire up.

Can i unplug the ignition unit totally then turn the engine over 360 and see what happens?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
... Can i unplug the ignition unit totally then turn the engine over 360 and see what happens?
That what happen to a Turbo buddy of mine, he obviously lost track of the TDC on #1 as it just would not go. Someone suggest to do a 360 rotation and voilas... She started right up.

Oops, was still fitted with distributor at the time.

Last edited by JJ 911SC; 04-17-2013 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Leading him down the wrong path... But it got him thinking and he solve it on his own.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Guess what.?

It started I`m so happy i have no words. It settled after a few seconds into a nice idle and ran, No, purred as a kitten Can`t believe how smooth it ran after cranking all day with leaks and such.

Here`s why i`m a moron. In the manual it says put the cylinder that FIRES 4th to bla bla, but instead i just connected cylinder 4 to that location. Poof! After cranking all day figuring it HAD to be the coil connections i redid it again. And then again. And again 2 turns and voila! No leaks as of yet so i`ll install the rear bumper and have a small ride. Hopefully tomorrow. Vids coming

The xdi system is really almost too easy to install. Really nice kit

More when i have time. Thank you all for helping!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: