Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Check out my Lava turbo blanket and wrapped exhaust!

Well I am fixing an issue I have dealt with for quite some time......heat from my turbo! I have had burned bumpers from a shop leaving the exhaust tip too close to the bumper, and burned myself one too many times! My solution was contacting PTP turbo blankets. I have used them in the past on other cars. There stuff is TOP notch in price and quality. The difference in engine compartment heat with this stuff is night and day. You can actually put your hand on the turbo blanket after a full blown run on the dyno.......we tested it on a buddies cobra last weekend His under hood engine temps are like a naturally aspirated car now. I am VERY pleased with this modification! I am using the new Lava turbo blanket and lava wrap. When I ordered my stuff they told me they were coming out with turbo blankets for 996's and 997's so it is cool they are jumping on at least a few Porsche items for us! Just a cool modification I thought I would share with you guys. Sorry the engine is VERY nasty. I just picked it up from the body shop so it has dust all over everything

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Another shot....
Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

That looks really good.

So you are not concerned about the blanket overheating the turbo? I mention this because it has been a concern mentioned in the past on this forum and one maker of aftermarket "HyFlow" turbos says to absolutely not use them for that reason.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

We have never had a failure on ANY car we have ran them on. Precision Turbo is the premier turbo in racing, and they do not recommend against them. My experience and their opinion is enough for me
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

From what they have told me this is a misconception that people have because they think that the heat is retained in the hot side of the turbo; however, the heat gets dissipated out of the exhaust to the atmosphere.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Questions: I understand heat shielding the hot side of the turbo housing, but why keep the heat inside the pipe after exiting the turbo by wrapping the muffler and exhaust tip? As the exhaust gas escapes the housing cools it expands and increases its velocity into open air. Wrapping the pipes would keep heat in preventing that. Any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice looking system!
Heat would be elevated and retained in the turbo after shutdown, no doubt about that. If these turbos can take it great, but for how long? If this is a racing application life is measured in hours not thousands of miles. Engine oil type must be a consideration as well. The specific "HighFlow" turbo mensioned has small clearances that are less tolerant of oil coking. Any metal covered in a blanket and cooked will have greatly decreased life expectancy. 321 stainless or inconel would last longer than typical 304; standard steel would be a pile of rust in a couple weeks.
Great solution for a race car but I would check with turbo manufacturers before using a blanket on a street car.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Heat would be elevated and retained in the turbo after shutdown, no doubt about that. If these turbos can take it great, but for how long? If this is a racing application life is measured in hours not thousands of miles. Engine oil type must be a consideration as well... Great solution for a race car but I would check with turbo manufacturers before using a blanket on a street car.
Makes sense to me. Heat kills. Sort of related, I was talking with a Ford engineer at the NY Auto Show about the twin turbo Eco-boost engine they use in the F-150 now. Water-cooled turbos that continue to cycle after shutdown, Electronic engine management, and thinner synthetic oil specifications were what it took before Ford felt they could slap a 100k drivetrain warranty on them. Joe six-pack isn't going to sit in his truck for a cool down period before shutdown like we do.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I've gone native

My 997tt also continues circulation after shutdown.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I am looking for a way to shield my 965 style rear bumper from getting destroyed from heat. It's damn close to my bumper and turbo. I thought about a shield for the turbo and a wrap for the exhaust.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I used reflective heat mat inside my bumper for track use, worked pretty good. A shield should work well also just like used for catalytic converters. Probably don't have room for both.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have a 965 as well.....that is why the wrap is so beneficial. Precision turbo has told me before they have never seen a premature failure from a blanket. They have more world championships and world records than any turbo company by a long shot. I would not worry about it. I have several friends who have been running them on daily drivers for years on the same turbo.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I plumbed the water cooling system for my turbo's and wired it to the accessory position on the ignition, I leave it running for a while after shut-down as well. I heard a while back that keeping heat on the turbine side can aid in spool up. Anyone know if that theory holds water? I always thought it made sense when folks gave me the old "Chinese fan/candle" metaphor.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Turbo blankets will improve spool time. Every blanket company claims this. Several people have independently verified this. I have never noticed a difference, but I am sure it helps to a small degree

Last edited by strokher racing; 03-30-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
It's your turbo and system and I doubt any warranty exists so you are free to do as you wish
but All OEMs deny warranty for this.
Aftermarket performance turbo guys could care less, just increases their sales.
I highly recommend you use only synthetic oil now, Brad Penn is out.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Whom ever did the exhaust wrap is my new Hero! those things are a Pita to wrap
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

A friend and I did it. Want me to do yours Juan?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I made a heat shield to cover ignition and accumulator/fuel filter, cut down on high temp exposure

Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokher racing View Post
I have a 965 as well.....that is why the wrap is so beneficial. Precision turbo has told me before they have never seen a premature failure from a blanket. They have more world championships and world records than any turbo company by a long shot. I would not worry about it. I have several friends who have been running them on daily drivers for years on the same turbo.
"world championships"?don't think so, maybe in 1/4 mile? Overall,(1/4 mile & road racing) Garrett & Honeywell (KKK)hold that honor.

Last edited by mamut; 03-31-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

That is correct.
If you go farther back when 962, 956, and 935 were winning endurance road racing championships they were using KKK turbo's most of the time.
...and not one of them had a heat retaining blanket on it.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: