Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Adjustable boost pressure

Guys-
Coming from an Audi turbo 5-cylinder background (amazing engines in 20 valve form by the way) - those engine basically come with external wastegates where with a quick pop of a small cover exposes a 6mm bolt that when screwed down preloads the wastegate spring -and voila!! More POWER!! Just like that. (assuming the ECU has been properly programmed) The magical 6mm power bolt.

Not so easy with these cars.

So anyway I wanted a similar type setup for my fairly new-to-me '91 Turbo - as I wanted just a smidge more power - wanted to walk up to the "slippery slope", but not go over the edge :-) so was thinking no more than 1 bar - in fact I was thinking I'd probably run a little under 1 bar just to be a little safer. Here in Denver at altitude no issues - I've heard however, of cars going to sea level and getting some pinging with 1 bar springs - so if/when I were to go on a road trip to sea level I could back off a smidge - and if/when I do some track time I could back off the boost, too.

So during research about wastegates I came up on an old thread ("Adjustable Wastegate" maybe?) and saw a post by fredmeister - he said he made up a wastegate like I was thinking about. So we got to talking and I ended up sending my wastegate to him for modification (for a fee of course). In conjunction with installing this I did a boost gauge and BL adjustable WUR. Still getting things dialed in but it's a cool setup, IMO.

Nothing wrong with swapping in a 1 bar spring and calling it good, of course - I just like the flexibility this achieves. I did not get a discount nor do I get anything going forward - I just wanted to let others know it's a cool option from a regular here on PP as I bet there are more people who would appreciate the flexibility.

Denver, CO
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you can plumb a manual or electronic boost controller to your wastegate control line.

Be carefull though, it could be the most expensive turn of a knob you ever make!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes - of course but I did not want an EBC or even an MBC a.k.a. "schrapnel knobben" as I like to call them - that's why I liked this setup - not relying on anything complex which could fail (although I assume a decent setup would fail to a lower boost) - but this setup you mechanically set it via preload on the spring and leave it until you want to change it. Very simple.

Anyway just another available option.....

Denver, CO
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: