Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Stranger on the Internet

Cardboard Heat Exchanger

I decided to put heat in the SC before I put the engine back in. I have it fitted with these cheap, ill-fitting OBX headers. I dragged the factory 930 heat exchangers and exhaust system down from the garage attic...man, they are heavy!

So, the heck with it. I'll just build a little heat exchanger for the passenger side, and feed both tubes in the rockers with it. Maybe it'll be enough to defrost the windows at the track. Maybe I can tack weld some fins to the tubes. I think the hard part will be sealing the heat exchanger onto the tubes for 4-5-6.

Step #1, the cardboard heat exchanger. I'll advise to how the further steps go. I think I have some 304 or 316 lying around, probably more durable than the USPS box.

Spacers:

Cardboard rev 0:

Ok, we'll try this, a bit smaller than the original.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Good luck, Pat. It's worth trying. Even the suggestion of heat is better than no heat at all.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
And when they burst into flames you can cook hot dogs.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I did this once as well with OBX headers.
I would suggest to fasten the flanges to a template or something before welding, otherwise they tend to bend a bit and get out of placement.

1986 944 Turbo
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Pat,

Sorry to hi jack your thread here, please could you confirm if you have adequate clearance between the right hand header outlet pipe and the timing chain cover? on my GSF units the outlet pipe contacts the timing chain cover when the headers are tightened on the exhaust studs. I also had issues fitting the pipes to the engine, lots of leverage needed.

Thank you in advance

TIM
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Tim:
I didn't fab them yet, so I have lots of room.

Trond,
Nice job on those! How did you fasten the boxes to the header tubes? I was going to try and weld a clip on them.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I overlapped with halves from both sides of the tube and welded around.

First I did a moc-up with cardboard as well, then fitted the stainless steel as close as I could
1986 944 Turbo
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Thanks, Trond. That's pretty much what I had in mind. So, was it worth the effort? How was the heat?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

The 304 pieces are ready to fold, which I will do tomorrow. After considering everything, I decided to go with a set of 930 factory heat exchangers. They weigh a bit more (40 lb for the factory stuff), but I can fit it easier. I guess I will just leave a few HP on the table.

I will probably just go ahead and finish up the OBX headers in case I change my mind again. I already modified the homebuilt turbo support...the OBX stuff is evidently not a match, location wise, with the factory stuff; it was off by about 3/4".

Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: