Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cold start issue

It seems like the motor isn't getting enough gas on start up. The motor will start to run, but if I don't push the gas pedal down slightly and hold it there, it will die. After about 5 minutes or so, it will idle on it's own. Not sure what to look for.
The motor was completely rebuilt in '09 by Jerry Woods. The motor has about 9,000 miles on it. The car lives in a heated garage. Suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Could be fuel, but the fact that it idles with a little throttle has me thinking AAR. Pop the hose off when the engine is cold, and peer inside to see if there's any gap in the slider. Mine likes about 1/4" when it's cold. If it's completely shut, something may be broken inside. They are pretty easy to open.

If it's barely open, you can adjust it by carefully pressing in the disc on the top of the "extension" that sticks out from the body. I'd use a c-clamp and go slow, you only have about 1/8" of travel. More than that and it will pop in and you'll have a vacuum leak.

Take a look at the picture in this link. I had to open mine up a bit more than this when I had similar issues.

She Liiiives!!

If that doesn't pan out, you'll need to get a CIS gauge on your WUR and check your cold control pressures.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

cold start issue

What is an AAR?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayebaal View Post
What is an AAR?

It is the auxiliary air regulator - also known as auxiliary air valve (AAV) - it is supposed to increase cold start idle by passing some air beneath the throttle body via a small sliding door (the more it is open the more air passes through it).

If you do a search with the keywords AAV, AAR and the like you will find much information about this.

Also, the following is a thread that discusses many 930 acronyms - 930 Acronym help
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
harold, try looking at this. you could run the same test by removing both hose ends and shining a flashlight in the hole... When cold, the valve should be open. Yours sounds like it's stuck in the closed position.

Porsche 928 Aux Air Valve closing test - YouTube

Last edited by mooney265; 04-03-2013 at 04:50 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: