Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
left side oil cooler

I needed additional cooling for my car and do not want to change the look of my car. I decided to add a Porsche fender mounted cooler in the left fender. And add Spal motorcycle fans to both.
The cooler installed upside down places the inlet and outlet facing forward to run the lines under the front pumper.

Last edited by ficke; 04-03-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Here is a picture of the front of the left cooler.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Right side coolers new lines. Unfortunately I did not take a whole picture shot of the lines crossing the car, but they just went under the front bumper and were held down by two clamps.
The car runs much cooler, and cools in traffic with the fans nicely so far. The real test of course is when it is over 105 F. in traffic with the AC on.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Looks good.

I would really like to see that crossover line. Some of it looks like ER stuff.
Have you modded an oem pipe and fitting by soldering?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I did that too last year. The difference was that once under way(no fan on my driver side cooler) the temps just dropped. I love seeing that needle drop down and stay down while driving. My temps were just too hot in Vegas without the additional cooler. Great upgrade. Look at my front valance for the ultimate upgrade.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think I am going to have to do that also here in TX for my turbo or treat summers like those in colder climates treat winters as down time. How much additional oil line did you end up needing? Is that oil line from coline?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

WOW, that looks great! I will likely do the same at some point.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
Looks good.

I would really like to see that crossover line. Some of it looks like ER stuff.
Have you modded an oem pipe and fitting by soldering?
If you remove the front bumper, you will see plenty of room to run the line attached to the front of the tub. I really am sorry I did not take a picture, just was not on my mind going back together.
I cut the collars off the old OEM short hoses to the left cooler to reuse the fittings. ER does sell just collars but I had to go to a industrial hose making co. to have them crimped.
You can see in one picture a fitting I made welding some old lines together I did that because I measured the hose length I though I needed and added a foot and 1/2 and I still came up 6" to short, DoH! So that is not needed.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
I did that too last year. The difference was that once under way(no fan on my driver side cooler) the temps just dropped. I love seeing that needle drop down and stay down while driving. My temps were just too hot in Vegas without the additional cooler. Great upgrade. Look at my front valance for the ultimate upgrade.
Can you please post a picture here of your Valance?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil64 View Post
I think I am going to have to do that also here in TX for my turbo or treat summers like those in colder climates treat winters as down time. How much additional oil line did you end up needing? Is that oil line from coline?
I Live in AZ. so I share your pain and have always had to park my toy cars about the time those up North started driving theirs, very frustrating.
I have been able to make all but one of my cars run in the summer with enough of my time and money thrown at them.
The only car I could not make run OK in the summer was a 1981 400I Ferrari, and I sold it for that reason.
The oil line I used is 30MM line brought from Elephant Racing, as was the 90 degree fitting and the collars.
The cooler, guard, rubber mounts etc. were brought from our host, Pelican Parts.
Elephant racing sold a kit to run two coolers but their kit runs lines through the trunk and I did not want to see any modifications.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
WOW, that looks great! I will likely do the same at some point.
Thank you.
I had a RS clone with a fiberglass air dam and oil cooler up front. It was great on the track and careful drives on the week ends. But it was not so good in stop and go city traffic and daily life challenges.
I had to repair the thing three times! once a friend pulled to close to a parking curb, I hit a truck tread on the free way and to steep of a dip in a parking lot. Besides of course changing the look, fiberglass low on the front of a street driven car is not for me.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Looks good... Whatever it takes to bring those temps down, do you realy need a fan having two coolers? It appears to block the air flow at speed.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

I went a further a few years back on our race car. I made f/g en closers for the cooler fronts. The air comes in thru the modified turn signal housings and the 3" inlets (via 3" dia flex hosing) in the lower part of the spoiler. I also replaced the engine cooler with the 993 filter counsel. At the track in 100 degree heat the oil temps are in the 210-215's. On the New Mexico highways in 90-100 heat cruising at 75-85mph the oil temps are in the 180 range. The motor is a na 3.4 w/325 h.p.
I got the lines and fittings from BAT, British American Transfer. The line fittings are press on.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I have (2) dual pass Fluidyne oil coolers in the front of my car. Both have a fan installed that is operated by my ECU. I will try to post some pictures of it in the next day or so. I am just now finishing my project, so I can not tell you how they are.... BUT, DonE on here had the same setup as I do, and they worked wonderfully!.

FWIW, I also took off the eigine mounted oil cooler and am running the extra oil filter in its place.... so (2) coolers were a must in my situation....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Looks good... Whatever it takes to bring those temps down, do you realy need a fan having two coolers? It appears to block the air flow at speed.
The low pressure area created by the tire spinning is what is what the factory expected to move the air through the cooler before Porsche went to a fan. Remember the fender mounted factory installed cooler are not in the air flow from the car moving and when the car is stationary, like normal city driving a lot of the time, there is no flow across the cooler so temp would rise regardless of the cooler size.
Porsche's final upgrade on the fender mounted cooler was to add a fan, which are no longer available, so I used a high quality aftermarket fan mounted in the same location as the OEM one.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
I went a further a few years back on our race car. I made f/g en closers for the cooler fronts. The air comes in thru the modified turn signal housings and the 3" inlets (via 3" dia flex hosing) in the lower part of the spoiler. I also replaced the engine cooler with the 993 filter counsel. At the track in 100 degree heat the oil temps are in the 210-215's. On the New Mexico highways in 90-100 heat cruising at 75-85mph the oil temps are in the 180 range. The motor is a na 3.4 w/325 h.p.
I got the lines and fittings from BAT, British American Transfer. The line fittings are press on.
What you did looks great,
but for me I did not want my car to look modified and I wanted cooling in stop and go traffic.
my car also has a 3.4 L engine and it is turbo charged.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

In 105+ heat and stop and go traffic our cars need a fan, if you don't have or want a fan, you need this.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quattrorunner, I like it! Modified but not obvious.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Ficke: what is the model number for the Spal you used on the right side cooler?

Steve

x: 62 356, 64 356, 76 930, 84 911 Targa, 85 ROW 911, 00 996, 07 Cayman S.

Last edited by M5guy; 04-04-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5guy View Post
Ficke: what is the model number for the Spax you used on the right side cooler?

Steve
Steve, It is a 'Spal' brand fan. # VA22-AP11/C-50S
It is a motorcycle 'pusher' fan.
Check their web site out, pretty cool selection.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: