Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 prices going up!!

No affiliation whatsoever with the seller, just happened upon this whilst munching lunch and cruising the net.

100,000 mile 1986, no work stated other than a checkup and leakdown, yours for only $49,000. Deal of the century.

Porsche : 930 Carrera in Porsche | eBay Motors

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think the dealer is a bit optimistic on this one. Sellers can ask all they want, but the best gauge of value is what they actually sell for. This is not always the easiest information to get. Don't get me wrong . . . I'd love it if a 100K mile '86 930 was worth the better part of $50K (after all, I'm no longer a buyer). I wonder where this dealer would set the price on my 43K mile unmolested '89 turbo cab. Hmmmm . . .

BTW, I did pick up on your "Deal of the Century" sarcasm . . . I agree.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, I can be a sarcastic old fart sometimes. I too would love to see my car sold at those prices.
I wonder how it is that some dealers feel they can get that kind of money from a buyer. Do they have an audience that most sellers aren't privvy to, are they simply misinformed on the current market value, or is it just a sales tactic to start unbelievably high and then show faux desperation as they slowly lower the price to get someone to bite?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This particular dealer happens to sell (well at least market) a lot of really nice cars on eBay. Perhaps he knows something you and I don't.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I did not find the Pelican Forum until after I bought mine so I would imagine that there are a lot of uneducated buyers for these cars out there. I have owned Porsches all of my adult life so I knew what to look for but a first time buyer might not be so savy.

Sure does seem a bit high though. I surf the autotrader at least once a week and of most of the postings for aircooled 911s, 1981-1989, are priced a lot higher than I would go.

So that is a good thing for us owners and a bad thing if you want one.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

eBay has added 930 as a model that you can sort by. Just looking at asking prices it seems they are on the way up. You don't see many cars in the high 20's any more.

This is the cheapest one on eBay at $24000 and it is in pretty sad shape.
Porsche : 930 Turbo in Porsche | eBay Motors

Out of the 11 cars listed as 930s and not in the 911 section the average asking price is $53000. (excluding the 935 with LeMans history)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Uneducated buyers are what dealers are after. The cars for sale section here shows what sells quick and what languishes until the price comes down. I have an '81 Euro that we are doing a PPI on before we sell it. Realistic price for that car (100K bone stock) is around $30K.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
This particular dealer happens to sell (well at least market) a lot of really nice cars on eBay. Perhaps he knows something you and I don't.
Perhaps he knows that he only needs one person to pay his price - and with them interwebs, he can reach them more easily now?

Dunno. There was a used car dealer around here used to keep a few 3.2's in stock a few years ago - usually for about 10K over what I'd have thought was market - sometimes more. But the stock kept changing. Either they were selling, or there was some kind of shell game going on...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I just bought my 86 from a private owner and after we agreed on a price that I felt was fair to both of us he said I should have asked more as they are going for a lot more on ebay. I explained to him that they were dealer cars and they were not getting any buyers at those prices. Not sure he believed me. I looked for a few months and it seemed only dealers had cars to sell so when I found a private owner with the right car for the right price I jumped on it. I think that for us as owners the prices they are asking is a good thing but if you are in the market overpaying might be the only way to get a 930. I love that he put "great buy" in the title. That car for 24k on ebay has sold 3 times in the past 6 months it looks like a right mess and would need extensive work.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: