Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1st time

Hi All,
This is my first time pulling a 911 engine. I have read many posts and the method as described from our host suggests disconnecting the "clutch mechanism" and the "reverse lights". Also I am working on a 1975 model.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would think the term "clutch mechanism" would refer to the clutch cable and "reverse lights" would be the wires connecting to the back-up lights switch on the side of the transmission. The operative goal would be to disconnect anything that connects the engine/transmission to the car.
One small detail I might elaborate on is to not remove the shift coupler that connects the shift rod to the selector shaft on the front of the transmission. There is what some refer to as a "grub screw" which is basically a set screw that screws into an indent on the selector shaft. The indent will let you reconnect the shifter rod in the same position it was before. If the clamp is loosened the shifting will probably be messed up after its all back together.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

930 prep

My 930 has several issues and I plan to remove the engine for service later this year. My thought was to pull the engine from my 1975 911S in preparation.
It has been many years since I have removed the motor from a rear engine car, probably about 35 years, but I can recall being able to remove a 1600 cc from a bug in less time than the play of 25 minute LP record.
Those days are gone, fast forward to 2013 and I have a budding collection of Porsche cars.
I have been following our hosts "101 projects for your 911" on engine removal and most of it makes sense with the exception of a few items.
1. Why does the clutch cable need to be removed. From what I can see, and know of, the clutch throw out assembly is within the bell housing portion of the transaxle and is only connected to the engine assembly through the throw out bearing. So why the disconnect?
2. Why does "reverse backup switch and speed cable" require removal from the transmission? I am leaving the transmission in the car.
3. "Shift coupler", does the angle of the transmission change when we begin to lower the engine?

Everything else looks straightforward, and I have considered removing the engine/tranny assembly but the tranny is fine and requires no service at this time.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think most here will tell you that taking the trans and motor together is much ,much easier. I would never do it any other way. There is a little extra unbolting involved, but the drop, and especially , the install will be considerably easier this way. Good luck.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Drop them both.......you'll thank us later.
If you drop just the motor you'll have a he11 of a time getting them mated up again.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, I had considered pulling the assembly but was hesitant due the bulk and no action is required at the tranny. I know lining up the mainshaft with the clutch disc can be problematic. I still am considering just pulling the engine. More input, thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Input:

Pull it together, tranny and engine I mean.

Real easy if you do it slow and check you have everything disconnected as you lower it.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

If you drop only the 930 engine, you will have a hell of a time trying to get the clutch fork ears and release bearing situated properly and you really won't know that you have until you attach the cable and try to operate the clutch with the pedal. The 930 clutch release bearing assembly is completely different from the typical 911.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 04-09-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: