Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Billet fuel rails?

Any one know a reasonable place to get them. Still shopping for EFI parts and since i am planning on being able to run e-85 and big injectors figured the stock 3.2 fuel rails might be too small. I have seen billet fuel rails on some cars. I know GSF sold them probably knock offs but don't think they in business anymore. Any way was wondering who else is making them.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
These guys have got some great stuff.

It requires some DIY, But it's cheap.

Ross Machine Racing 410-510-3023 - Aluminum Fuel Rail Extrusion and Billet Intake Parts
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was looking for some already machined. have seen some really nice billet ones on several cars here.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I was talking about this to Chris Carroll the other day... I think that CMW used to make some, but they are sure proud of their stuff as IIRC, they were around $400 to $500 bucks for a set.... I think they were also -10 fittings... WAY too big for what we need... I will be going with -6 for my fuel system. I will be making some of my own, and thats why I asked in the 911 tech forum about the lengths of the stock 3.2L fuel rails...

I will probably buy the mill that Ross has for sale... although expensive for a tool you will only use a couple of times at best, it is the best way to do it....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK so the GSF then was the only place making the billet fuel rails?
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It was TWM who made (makes?) them, not CMW.

How much power are you after, and are you sure the stock rails won't get you there?

FWIW, point of reference: 930 3.3L, Carrera manifold & fuel rails, 6AN lines, 3.5bar FPR, 2x -044 fuel pumps (stock pumps were tired anyway). Easily supported 545rwhp on e85.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ken i am going to use the stock carrera fuel rails which i had 10 an fittings welded to the ends. i am going new pumps and lines from tank back , using rocker panel space as my chase. raced many years with similar set up no probs. but then again i never wrecked
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i saw a post on here that looked like on e-85 the limit was around 600 hp with the stock fuel rails. My goal is somewhere north of that So i wanted plenty of room for growth. Already have an 044 pump in the front and the turbo pump in the back. was planning on increasing the size of the fuel lines and possibly making some gas tank changes. And yes I am making my own intercooler.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 04-10-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
i think you can go further than 600 on stock rails jmo
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I was talking about this to Chris Carroll the other day... I think that CMW used to make some, but they are sure proud of their stuff as IIRC, they were around $400 to $500 bucks for a set.... I think they were also -10 fittings... WAY too big for what we need... I will be going with -6 for my fuel system. I will be making some of my own, and thats why I asked in the 911 tech forum about the lengths of the stock 3.2L fuel rails...

I will probably buy the mill that Ross has for sale... although expensive for a tool you will only use a couple of times at best, it is the best way to do it....
The reason the billet fuel rails have -10 AN fittings is the bore size of the rail. Billet rails are made out of stock extrusions which have a large bore. the smallest AN fitting you can machine on a bore of that size is a -10
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
The reason the billet fuel rails have -10 AN fittings is the bore size of the rail. Billet rails are made out of stock extrusions which have a large bore. the smallest AN fitting you can machine on a bore of that size is a -10
I understand why they have the -10 fitting on them... I was referring to the fact that for our engines, we dont need anything that large....

You can get a -8 or -6 extrusion for the same price as the -10 stuff.... If you look at the top of the injector, it is a very small opening.. now add 5 more injectors. A -6 bore size is plenty big to feed the amount of flow you would need. I have (6) ID1000 (100lb) injectors... I will probably have to sell those and go bigger in the future, as they will be the limiting factor on my fuel system... not the -6 size
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Larger fuel rails

Since the idea of oversize fuel rails comes up with some regularity, it got me wondering: how much power have we been able to make on the standard 3.2L Carrera fuel rails?

752.2whp / 692.5wtq on 109-octane VP Racing unleaded fuel

The rails had the standard metric fittings, and the small supply lines were replaced with larger 6AN lines with metric ends, a proper fuel "Y" block, and an Aeromotive regulator. Twin -044 fuel pumps, larger chassis lines.

Fuel pressure was datalogged against boost, and there was no decline in fuel pressure.

Another point of reference for those wanting to burn ethanol:
A beyond-GT2-spec 3.8L Twin Turbo with ITBs we built -- had similar size rails feeding ID2000 injectors and burning e98 "Ignite". The small rails and 6AN PTFE lines were not a limiting factor, and supported 800whp/680wtq.

Last edited by TurboKraft; 04-11-2013 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
ken i think you will be fine with stock rails, and availability, price , and fitment are not an issue
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

yeah ok looks like it. but they look so cool!! lol
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Stock ones don't look that bad when stripped, buffed out, and freshly yellow zinc plated. Even without buffing them to get the extra shine before plating, they still look good:

Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah i guess or chromed mine sits outside and actually gets driven even in the rain. all the zink or cadmium plated stuff looks like crap pretty quick.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yeah, didn't think a 3.2 fuel rail was a limiting factor. Glad Chris cleared that up.

Was thinking that possibly the crossovers were limiting but the rail itself seems hollow for huge volume.

One more thing that Porsche did right, right from the start that you don't have to worry about. Just about any other car, the fuel rails do become limiting factors once boosted.

Last edited by Tippy; 04-11-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
hey chris i didnt know carrera rails would fit on a ford
Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

That's not Ford blue, that's Mexico Blue!!! Blasphemy!
That's torresmd's America Roadster Turbo Project
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
My two cents:

Stock rails are fine. There are a few thoughts what can be a reason for replacing:

As volume of fuel pumped through increases, there are some benefits, not sure if measureable but in theory fuel pressure is more stable and temp can be lower.

As I have a lot to do in my profession with hydraulics, I always wonder, if there is no danger of cavitation at the stock design...

But the main reason is simply.... They look much nicer

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: