Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help in identifying part

Gents, need help identifying what I am looking at. In the process of adjusting my valves on my 89 930 and need access to driver side valve cover. I had a new IC put on at Fabspeed and I am not sure if this was part of the old system no longer need or just what this is. What is it and do I need it? It looks like there was a hose, maybe vacuum or breather hooked up, but no longer. In the pics, it is the canister and metal part with hose nipple that I can't figure out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, J

Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Emissions air pump I believe. Who needs 'em?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

That would be your air pump, and the canister contains a little air filter for it.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've got one too along with the left and right side diverter valves that go with it. It's been in a cardboard box the last 6 years.

Looks like yours is already disconnected so you should remove it, it's just extra weight.
You have to remove it to be able to get at the back intake valves to adjust them on that side anyway.
It's driven by a cogged belt off the back of the cam on that side next to the turbo scavenge oil pump. You can just cut the belt if it's still there.

I've saved it in case they ever up the emission testing and I have to put it back on. If your air injector nozzles are still screwed into the cylinder heads at the exhaust ports you shoud remove those and the air pump manifold that feeds them too.

You can buy nice stainless steel plugs with M10 x 1mm thread pitch and copper washers to screw into the cylinder heads where the nozzles go. They're around $30 and pelican sells them.
Put them in tight with red loctite if you do that.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
JFairman do you happen to know the part number for those screws. I searched can't seem to find them
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks

I was hoping to hear these were unneeded parts and that I could remove them. That is what I ma hearing, correct? I have already plugged the air injector holes so this part is done. I just need to get in there and figure out how to remove these. This will free some much needed space up on this side of the motor. Thanks again everyone and please let me know if I am missing anything.

J
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Took me a minute to find them too!

Pelican Parts - Product Information: PEL-BRC-02

I PRESUME these are the correct ones, though no mention as to the actual mm size. Also in the notes and reviews I see where on person commented on there being two different sizes depending on the car year, etc.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 04-17-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Mark

Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: